Canal side pubs

bigcol

Featured Posts

It's A 5 min walk from Wigrams Turn/Napton Marina but the Kings Head in Napton will be hard to beat.

Really? I went there last week having got to The Bridge and found it closed. I've never felt so out of place and unwelcome in a pub (lets be honest it's a restaurant). It was full of poncy people in shirts and ties.

I actually quite like the Boat House in Braunston for the simple fact is is one of very few pubs around the area that has its own moorings and you can stop the boat outside. Stopped there on our way through yesterday, and had a couple of pints of Pedigree, which as usual was good. Food is more average (2 for 1), I am OK with it but my wife is not a fan. But it is good enough in my opinion to be called good value (as long as there are a even number of you eating!).

Beer good, wonderful view from the balcony on a sunny day. Try not to eat there unless the beer interferes with plans might be cheap but the food tastes it.

Yes, Its more a restaurant than pub these days, but the thread seems to be talking about the quality of food not the sort of people we feel comfortable around ?

I eat in there most weekend lunchtimes having spent the morning working on my boat and never had any one complaining about my 'scruffs'

They won their brewery food and beer awards last year. I usually chat to several other boaters, who are regulars, in there and we're all on 1stname terms with the staff.

Personally I love the rising sun berkhampstead gu,however they do only do a ploughmans there.

Which is very nice,but the drinks selection is fantastic.

There is a canalside wetherspoons in Camden(and yes we nearly always get a spot)

Also,the fisher mans retreat? Up near bulborne good value.

Personally I love the rising sun berkhampstead gu,however they do only do a ploughmans there.

There is a canalside wetherspoons in Camden(and yes we nearly always get a spot)

It's the Anglers Retreat at Marsworth not Bulbourne

Tim

It's the Anglers Retreat at Marsworth not Bulbourne

Tim

Really? I went there last week having got to The Bridge and found it closed. I've never felt so out of place and unwelcome in a pub (lets be honest it's a restaurant). It was full of poncy people in shirts and ties.

My experience too. It was a great pub until they refitted in last year, when everything seemed to change. I know exactly what you mean about being made to feel out of place as a scruffy baoter by the 'up-market' and snobby clientele in there now!

Not a welcoming feel to the place at all now which is odd, as the landlord remains the same.

MtB

The Waterfront at Pewsey on the K&A is great, there is a bar upstairs which does great real ales and restaurant downstairs that cooks the best Sunday roast I have ever eaten! They also do a great breakfast fry up, they have a varied lunchtime and weekday menu with lots of lovely dishes to choose from. The staff are friendly , I can highly recommend it.

A quick walk up the hill in Braunston to the Old Plough perhaps. On a Tuesday they do excellent Fish and Chips with mushy peas. Not quite 'canalside' but worth the short walk in my opinion.

Yes ironically more of a boaty pub than The Waterfront despite its location. Better range of ales and food value as well.

• 2 months later...

We the Bridge Inn at Napton is open again, they served their first pint Thursday evening, we called in on Friday looking for dinner but they were not opening the kitchen until last night. The pub has a new sign but as we went by car we don't know if the front wall has been cleaned.

A big thumbs up for the Hartley Arms at Wheaton Aston (Shroppie). Especially for the proper homemade steak and kidney pie I had the other night. Lovely, squidgy short crust pasty, and thick yummy gravy. The Jennings Ales went down a treat too.

• 1 month later...

If you are on the Macc and want a treat, try this place.

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/suttonhall/

5 minute walk from Gurnett aqueduct, beautiful setting, stunning architecture and good food and beer. One not to be missed. Also dog friendly!

I can echo that. The first time I went, I walked up the grand drive wondering if I would be allowed in dressed in my scruffy boat clothes, but they couldn't have been nicer. Also, I just NEVER eat out when boating, but made an exception here, and glad I did. They're doing things right in a stunning location.

King's Lock in Middlewich -- ate (and drank) there last Thursday, some of the best gastropub food I've ever had at exceptionally low prices for the quality (all the main courses we had were under a tenner), six local beers all in excellent condition, 3 real ciders. Not a pack-em-in-swill-it-down boozer, but fabulous food and beer -- what more could you ask for?

• 1 month later...

Just doing a memory dump of best canalside real ale/food pubs I've come across in no particular order:

The Anchor Inn, Salterforth, L & L

Inn on the Wharf - Burnley, L & L

The Top Lock - Johnson's Hillock flight, L & L

The Dover Lock Inn, Abram, Leigh branch, L & L

Crown & Anchor, Tickton, River Hull

The Boat Inn, Penkridge, Staffs & Worcs.

The Shroppie Fly, Audlem, Shropshire

The Gate Inn, Tamworth, Coventry

The Greyhound, Hawkesbury Junction, Oxford (north end)

Sutton Hall, Macclesfield

The Clock Warehouse, Shardlow, T & M

The Swan, Fradley, T & M

The Steamboat Inn, Trent Lock, Erewash

The Navigation, Castle Lock, Nottingham

Rose & Crown Inn, Zouch, GU, Leicester Branch

Bridge 61, Foxton, GU, Leicester Branch

Rock of Gibraltar, Nr.Kidlington, Oxford

The Boat Inn, Stoke Bruerne, GU

Grand Junction Arms, Bulbourne, GU

Well I wouldn't recommend the food at the Anchor, but the real ale is consistently pretty good.

I would recommend The Fisherman's Inn on the L&L for food and real ale.

If you are on the Macc and want a treat, try this place.

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/suttonhall/

5 minute walk from Gurnett aqueduct, beautiful setting, stunning architecture and good food and beer. One not to be missed. Also dog friendly!

Looks good but I really, really hate the phrase 'pan fried' on menus. As opposed to what? Frying it in a pair of old y-fronts?

The Company Inn in Nottingham is probably the nearest you will get to a canalside Wetherspoons pub. Situated in part of the ground floor of the massive ex BW warehouse. Tying up outside may be frowned upon but ok opposite on towpath side.

The Ice Wharf at Camden is a lockside Wetherspoons!

Tim

Reading the first post re the Peartree I have to say that they are indeed value for money. They are part of Crown Carveries. Crown have many pubs in the north west and midlands. If you go to the link and click the find a crown tab you'll see a map. Zoom in and you'll see where they are. I am not connected with them in any way, just a happy customer.

http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk