Canal side pubs

bigcol

Featured Posts

Peartree Inn Milton Keynes

Every now and again, we end up at the Peartree Inn at MK,

Carvery £3.95, everyday though on Sundays £6.95 or. A varied menu,breakfast help your self £4.95.

Every time we've been there always full to brimming. Nice meals, Nice staff

The Three locks

Cheapest meal fish and chips £10.95

Sunday roast £10.95

Fillet steak £18.95 sirloin,£15.95

So 4 drinks 2 steak meals. £51, not a great menu, for kids small bowl chips £7.

nice meal, nice staff but seems empty.

Does it get more expensive going south?

How much does a steak cost further up north on the canal side.?

Just you hear canal side pubs closing, or am I just out of touch with prices of pub food?

Oh if the kids wanted peanuts, they put them in a bowl £1.80, grand kids x 2, x 3 bowls

Now I feel tight!!

Col

Why we have to be carefull my mistake Sorry!

The £7 small bowl of chips was at the Grove lock pub last week

Yes we did pay £7 for a small bowl of chips, ( wish I took photo) £6.50 for a bacon and Brie sandwich but we shared, Couldn't afford any more.

but this was the Grove lock pub.!!! This was empty at lunch time,but was during the week.

The meal re steaks was at the Three locks pub on Friday evening

£51 quid for 2 cokes,2 x pints doom bar Ale, 2 steaks.

My pocket wanted the fish, or the bowl of peanuts lol

But we've achieved a lot this last 2 Weeks, wife had the card

And yes fish and chips £10.95. Or as Juniors post £10.95 for fish pie

Don't get me wrong nice meals, but so are the meals at Peartree Inn?

Maybe I'm out of touch?

Back to normal,Staying in to eat for a while lol

Col

Edited by bigcol

We were on a mission last year which we intend to carry on with this year, to find the best Sunday lunch on the canals. The winner was the Great Western an Aynho on the Oxford but even they only got a 9.5 out of ten. Price, food quality, service etc are all taken into account, then we drink too much wine and make a totally subjective judgement. Anything more than £12.99 is too much and marked down accordingly. So another 6 months searching for that perfect 10.

Finished a round of treatment about a month ago.

Celebratory news, Family surprised me, and arranged Sunday family lunch

Harvester at fox Milne MK

10 in total 5 grandchildren

Big meals, lots of drink, including salad repeat fillable cokes coffees beer, and a couple of sweets

£80 for everyone, and my daughters paid!!

Very emotional, I'm very lucky

That was a good value treat,

But superb value, and cracking staff.

But re canalside pubs, so far Peartree inn on the GU gets my vote good affordable family food

Always busy,

Col

Edited by bigcol

When I was a kid the price of potatoes changed through the year now they seem to be the same price all year .

You can still get Haddock and chips for 4 for less than £10 take away at Grimsby but no canal.

Edited by b0atman

So anymore canal side pub recommendations, price and quality?

Plus 2 of you go to a pub, a drink each,and a normal everyday lunch.

How much would you expect to pay??

Edited by bigcol

Just doing a memory dump of best canalside real ale/food pubs I've come across in no particular order:

The Anchor Inn, Salterforth, L & L

Inn on the Wharf - Burnley, L & L

The Top Lock - Johnson's Hillock flight, L & L

The Dover Lock Inn, Abram, Leigh branch, L & L

Crown & Anchor, Tickton, River Hull

The Boat Inn, Penkridge, Staffs & Worcs.

The Shroppie Fly, Audlem, Shropshire

The Gate Inn, Tamworth, Coventry

The Greyhound, Hawkesbury Junction, Oxford (north end)

Sutton Hall, Macclesfield

The Clock Warehouse, Shardlow, T & M

The Swan, Fradley, T & M

The Steamboat Inn, Trent Lock, Erewash

The Navigation, Castle Lock, Nottingham

Rose & Crown Inn, Zouch, GU, Leicester Branch

Bridge 61, Foxton, GU, Leicester Branch

Rock of Gibraltar, Nr.Kidlington, Oxford

The Boat Inn, Stoke Bruerne, GU

Grand Junction Arms, Bulbourne, GU

We were on a mission last year which we intend to carry on with this year, to find the best Sunday lunch on the canals. The winner was the Great Western an Aynho on the Oxford but even they only got a 9.5 out of ten. Price, food quality, service etc are all taken into account, then we drink too much wine and make a totally subjective judgement. Anything more than £12.99 is too much and marked down accordingly. So another 6 months searching for that perfect 10.

Try the Old Crown in Cavendish Bridge.. 5 mins walk from the navigation inn in Shardlow. Best Sunday lunch I've had that I haven't cooked myself.

The Old Malt Shovel in Newark has really cheap good food and good real ales.

Ham egg n chips or gammon egg n chips £2.99

Ok 10p fir sauce kr mustard.

Located on the diutb kf the Rjver Trent Moor on the floating pontoons outside CRT offices, cross Milkenihm Bridge, past Aldi abd turn r on main rd. Next to tfc lights

Edited by jelunga

Located on the diutb kf the Rjver Trent Moor on the floating pontoons outside CRT offices, cross Milkenihm Bridge, past Aldi abd turn r on main rd. Next to tfc lights

Why did your keyboard go to Icelandic halfway through your post.smile.png

Why did your keyboard go to Icelandic halfway through your post.smile.png

Weird. Pn your actual post looks ok tk me. But kn the enail notificatikn it looks different.

Ipod touch keyboard and big fjngers again

200 yds off the River

C'mon - tell the truth and dont exagerate :

Ham Egg & Chips £2.00

Fish in batter, chips and peas £2.00

Sausage, Egg and chips £2.00

Rump Steak, all the bits and pieces £4.00

Home made Steak & Ale pie, chips and peas £3.50

Big Sunday Lunch (choice of 3 meats) £4.50

Fosters Lager & John Smiths Bitter are £2.30 pint. 'Real Ales; £2.00 per pint

Food prices are increased by 50% if you dont buy a drink.

You literally cannot buy the food for the prices they charge.

We go at least once a week when in Newark and Two main courses and a Pint & a half is about £7.00

I don't disagree with any of the above but IMHO you can't beat a Wetherspoons for consinstency and value. I'm not aware of any canalside ones but plenty within easy walking distance of the cut.

Wetherspoons at Skipton, can recommend it only about 200 yards from the canal in the centre of town. If you have an android or iphone you can search for the nearest.

Most canal side pubs charging £7 or more fore a couple of pints, If you have to pay more than £5 then its too much in my mind

The Company Inn in Nottingham is probably the nearest you will get to a canalside Wetherspoons pub. Situated in part of the ground floor of the massive ex BW warehouse. Tying up outside may be frowned upon but ok opposite on towpath side.

It must be hard to beat The Boat House in Braunston when it comes to value for money meals?

I've eaten there a lot, and concluded consistently poor quality food at very low price is not my idea of value for money.

MtB

I've eaten there a lot, and concluded consistently poor quality food at very low price is not my idea of value for money.

MtB

We generally do OK at the Braunston boat house, but we are "veggies", so maybe it is the meat side of things they struggle with?

Edited by alan_fincher

Try the Old Crown in Cavendish Bridge.. 5 mins walk from the navigation inn in Shardlow. Best Sunday lunch I've had that I haven't cooked myself.

Didn't know they were doing food again otherwise I would have included them as well as the Navigation.cheers.gif

First time I went I had ham eggs and chips there....absolutely superb..huge amount of ham,(proper stuff as well not your normal pink plastic) home laid eggs and a mountain of golden chips. Its a meal that lives in memory. Was terribly disappointed when they stopped doing food !

and they do a good range of beer cheers.gif

edit for spelling

Edited by John V

We generally do OK at the Braunston boat house, but we are "veggies", so maybe it is the meat side of things they struggle with?

I actually quite like the Boat House in Braunston for the simple fact is is one of very few pubs around the area that has its own moorings and you can stop the boat outside. Stopped there on our way through yesterday, and had a couple of pints of Pedigree, which as usual was good. Food is more average (2 for 1), I am OK with it but my wife is not a fan. But it is good enough in my opinion to be called good value (as long as there are a even number of you eating!).