The Droitwich

STIG

Featured Posts

As we sit here at home on a cold and blustery sunday night, logs on the fire, nowt much on the telly. What best to do but plan a trip, and this year we thought we might cut through and do the Droitwich , any ideas,

What are the moorings like at Netherwich basin and what`s the turn like out onto the river going upbank towards Stourport

Had a quick look through our photos from last time we did it, we have pics of just before Hawford Junction (the junction between the Severn and the Droitwich Barge Canal) and in the first lock looking backwards (but that doesn't really show the river properly). So, here's someone else's pics on canalplan:

http://canalplan.org.uk/gazetteer/3orr

I hope the open air salt swimming pool is still open

The lido is still operational, but only during the "summer" months. Their website is here: http://www.wychavonleisure.co.uk/our-centres/droitwich-spa-lido/

They usually open the weekend after the hottest weekend in May, from whence it rains every alternate weekend until they close in September. However, should you chance to be there on a sunny weekend, get there early as it is very popular. Understandably, because it is much cheapness to get in and is truly delightful.

Lovely canal, if shallow and hard to moor on the Barge Canal. Miles and miles of sedges for wildlife- plenty of buzzy bity insects for sure!

Excellent and pretty secure gated moorings at Netherwich basin, Gardeners Arms is a good and fairly handy pub. Others, and takesaway etc. in the town not far from the basin. Nice park (Vines Park) between Netherwich and the last broad lock. Navigation above this lock can be affected by rain because it's a river.

Moorings mostly noisy and scarce on the Junction canal. M5 bridge very low. There is no towpath and the foot route to rejoin the canal at the next lock is not obvious so collect your crew at the previous lock.

Uphill entrances to concrete narrow locks are very 'square', so concentrate if you don't want to get cross-winded!

Real working sideponds at the top locks.

N

The lido is still operational, but only during the "summer" months. Their website is here: http://www.wychavonleisure.co.uk/our-centres/droitwich-spa-lido/

They usually open the weekend after the hottest weekend in May, from whence it rains every alternate weekend until they close in September. However, should you chance to be there on a sunny weekend, get there early as it is very popular. Understandably, because it is much cheapness to get in and is truly delightful.

I used to go there regularly on weekdays, early morning, before work. I struggle to think of a better start to a working day!

Very atractive canal.As has been said ,mooring problematic exept at Netherwich Basin .I believe the railway tunnel in Droitwhich will only pass boats up to 12ft6in,so the canal is effectively out for 14ft beam boats .Headroom under the motorway is an issue. Possible to get stuck in Droitwhich if the Severn and the Salwarp are in flood.

As has been said it's a lovely canal, One other thing to bear in mind is that from Vines Park to the River Severn there is little scope for mooring even if just to stop and have a sandwich due to the canal being so narrow. So for lunch it's either eat on the move (which we did) or stop briefly on a lock landing which some others were doing.

I've heard suggestions that the M5 bridge is low. How Low ? would it be passable with a 'typical' hire boat ? A few years ago we were advised that the boat we had hired at the time definitely wouldn't go through Froghall, and the boat we have this year is an identical 'sister' to that one. (...mind you, I suppose they could have said that to discourage us from trying...)

Edited by Pete of Ebor

I'm pretty sure the average hire boat would have no problem with the M5 bridge, unless the river level was up, because unlike Froghall it has a flat top (the problem with Froghall is at the edges of the roof). Here's a picture we took when we last went through

P1050227r.jpg

Went we went through on Dasque clearance was much less than in Allans photo like about 6inches - we could have gained another 4ins by removing the tiller pin which is unusually then high point of the boat.. I'll look later for a picture or two.

I'm pretty sure the average hire boat would have no problem with the M5 bridge, unless the river level was up, because unlike Froghall it has a flat top (the problem with Froghall is at the edges of the roof). Here's a picture we took when we last went through

P1050227r.jpg

The problem with Froghall tunnel is its just too damn low! Well yes, its a curved profile, but its also the end of a line where not many boats go, its old (historical) and I believe its also affected by land subsidence. Also its an old canal which was built for lime barges, which have quite a low profile and low air draft.

Our encounter with the M5 tunnel was similarly low:

DSC_7322reduced_zpsfc4e28b2.jpg

• Greenie 1

I think the Droitwich is one of the gems of the canal world, I've spent several days at the moorings at Netherwich basin and really enjoyed the town, lots to see and do.

The Junction can be fun and the river section can flood, but does often do that in the summer. There are some great walks around Ladywood and Salwarpe. where you can easily moor.

Very easy to get into the barge canal from the river seven, however mind the scour which can build up below the lock, stay in the middle of the channel if you can.

There is plenty of water in the barge canal it just needs careful navigation.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

The problem with Froghall tunnel is its just too damn low! Well yes, its a curved profile, but its also the end of a line where not many boats go, its old (historical) and I believe its also affected by land subsidence. Also its an old canal which was built for lime barges, which have quite a low profile and low air draft.

Our encounter with the M5 tunnel was similarly low:

DSC_7322reduced_zpsfc4e28b2.jpg

Whoe, that looks mighty low rolleyes.gif , I`m not sure if we will get through that, who would be the best person to call to check water levels, bearing in mind I would be setting off from Alvechurch Marina, I`m guessing if I were to check at the marina first glare.gif . We have a bit to go yet, it won`t be till the 25th March unsure.png

Whoe, that looks mighty low rolleyes.gif , I`m not sure if we will get through that, who would be the best person to call to check water levels, bearing in mind I would be setting off from Alvechurch Marina, I`m guessing if I were to check at the marina first glare.gif . We have a bit to go yet, it won`t be till the 25th March unsure.png

The last time we did the Droitwich canals (Jubilee holiday last year) there was a volunteer lockie at the top of the Hanbury flight. He'd walked up the towpath from the town, and so he was able to let us know the reading on the guage at the M5 tunnel before we started down the flight. I don't know how regular the volunteer service is. Maybe C&RT can tell you.

The last time we did the Droitwich canals (Jubilee holiday last year) there was a volunteer lockie at the top of the Hanbury flight. He'd walked up the towpath from the town, and so he was able to let us know the reading on the guage at the M5 tunnel before we started down the flight. I don't know how regular the volunteer service is. Maybe C&RT can tell you.

cheers.gif

• 2 years later...