Wendover and Aylesbury Arms

junior

Featured Posts

I'm on my way up the Grand Union to take in the delights of the Wendover and Aylesbury Arms.

Is there anything special one needs to know/take into account?

Can I wind right at the end of the Wendover?

I know the Aylesbury Canal people have moved to a new home, but is there still visitor moorings at the Aylesbury basin?

Any sights worth seeing or doing along each arm etc?

Yes there are still visitor moorings in Aylesbury. They are unfortunately opposite a building site, so aren't pretty, but they are fairly secure with Residential boats still in the towpath side near the moorings. Last time I looked they were also piling the edges of the basin, so don't expect a quiet start to the day as builders seem to like an early start. They knock off at dusk or earlier though.

The basin is convenient for a few pubs, several take-aways and a (new) Waitrose. You pass a Tesco on the way in above Lock 16. Aylesbury town centre is about 10 mins from the visitor moorings and is IMHO not exactly an exciting place, but it does have at least two quaint pubs, chain restaurants and some of the usual high-street names.

There's a good train service to London via Ricky too.

When you pass do call in on ACS and say hello. It's not as convenient as the town centre and there are more, but much less noisy, amusing builders to watch but I'm sure that you will find it worthwhile. Not sure what the current visitor moorings arrangements are at Circus Field, but someone will know when you call.

On the way down the arm the main attraction is the scenery, though the HUGE new Arla dairy is notable. Wilstone is a typical dormitory village but may have a store and the Half-Moon was a decent pub. I don't know if either are still open.

Allow about 4-5 hours two-handed from Maffers to the town basin.

The Red Lion just north of Marsworth junction and the Anglers Retreat 100 yds east along the road from lock 39 are both good pubs at the top.

N

Edited by BEngo

Well if they hadn't it would be closed

Hi,

Not sure it's been restored, it's had some repair/rebuilding works recently and I can remember it bring dredged in the 1960's (the basin may have been dredged more recently.

The Aylesbury Arm offers some great views of the Chilterns and is well worth a visit, The Arla dairy is now complete and open and camouflaging works are interesting - well worth a visit.

Wendover Arm good, excellent turning area at end, more visitors the better to keep the weeds down, tends to be shallow.

L.

Hi,

Not sure it's been restored, it's had some repair/rebuilding works recently and I can remember it bring dredged in the 1960's (the basin may have been dredged more recently.

SNIP

L.

The Aylesbury Arm was never closed and was designated a Cruiseway in the 1968 Transport Act. The Wendover Arm was never really fully open due to leaks- GJCC tried all sorts of things and eventually piped a large section to preserve the water supply from Wendover and protect the summmit. The present restoration is more like a renewal and WAT are doing a really good job.

Aylesbury basin has been dredged at least twice since 1980- that is right into the corners.

The major part of the arm (from below Lock 4 or possibly 5) right to the basin was dredged (for some value of the word 'dredged') in late 2011. This enlarged the infamous reed corridor in the 2-mile pound but did not go into the corners of the basin. The basin itself is supposed to be being done as part of the Aylesbury Waterside development.

I doubt that being navigable for only 3 months out of the last 12 has done it much good though.

N

I'm currently moored up at the end of the Wendover Arm, what a mooring! Granted I've not seen much of the system yet, but this is definitely my favourite mooring so far. It's pitch black, no light or noise pollution and no other boats for miles. It's literally silent here.

Boating wise it wasn't so great. Took me a very long time to get here and was scraping the bottom all the way along. My initial plan was to wind and go back to Marsworth for the night, but I just couldn't face the return journey the same day.

Aylesbury Arm tomorrow, I hope it's a bit deeper!

Try tickover on the way back rather than using the throttle you may be surprised.

I just stick it in gear and let it follow the channel.

True and avoid getting stuck on the mud bank by first bend by the mill. You are lucky at the moment as the water level is high.

L

HIGH???!!!!!

Check as you leave there is a weir about 50m from the junction end on your left, if its on weir its high, usually its a couple of inches down.

For the festival they used to put planks on the weir and raise the level by four or so inches.

When I came back up from London in 2011, I did both arms as I knew it would be a while before I was down that way again.

The Wendover was very silted and made worse by the boats moored opposite the Mills(at least one now removed from CRT waters). Agree entirely with the tickover progress, the faster the prop, the slower you go. Had a great Barby with a few old friends at the terminus.

Then down the Aylesbury, I think I was the last boat down and up before it was shut due to water restrictions, very reedy but a lovely stretch.

I have really happy memories of the festival , the art of drinking and then getting accross the gangplank in one piece had to be learnt. I remember one year we boaters drank the bar dry of local beer on the Friday and the Festival was due to open to the public on Saturday. And another when alongside all the polishers of stationery engines Martin L turned up with his battered transit with i recall JP2 in the back which was running.

The Wendover arm really should not be too much of an issue on draught.

I think you are either not properly in the channel, or, as has been suggested, using too many RPM, and the back is digging in unnecessarily.

Try slower, and really thinking about your position, and where the deepest water is likely to be.

The Wendover arm really should not be too much of an issue on draught.

I think you are either not properly in the channel, or, as has been suggested, using too many RPM, and the back is digging in unnecessarily.

Try slower, and really thinking about your position, and where the deepest water is likely to be.

I tried to stick in the middle but sometimes the boat was looking for it's own route, but I was using about 'medium' rev's. I'll leave it in tick over for the return journey tomorrow and see how I get on.

What does your boat draw Junior?

No idea. I guess it's quite deep as it was built 'in the style of a working boat', plus I had someone of over 6ft in the boat recently who looked at the spare inches above them and commented "bloody hell you must be deep!", but in all honesty I have no idea.

I tried to stick in the middle but sometimes the boat was looking for it's own route, but I was using about 'medium' rev's. I'll leave it in tick over for the return journey tomorrow and see how I get on.

No idea. I guess it's quite deep as it was built 'in the style of a working boat', plus I had someone of over 6ft in the boat recently who looked at the spare inches above them and commented "bloody hell you must be deep!", but in all honesty I have no idea.

I'm over 6' and had a look at your boat. It's quite 'deep' but the cabin is a little higher too I think. Cracking boat.

Aylesbury is good in parts, rather like the town. A visit to The Dark Lantern is worth while.

I'm currently moored up at the end of the Wendover Arm, what a mooring! Granted I've not seen much of the system yet, but this is definitely my favourite mooring so far. It's pitch black, no light or noise pollution and no other boats for miles. It's literally silent here.

Boating wise it wasn't so great. Took me a very long time to get here and was scraping the bottom all the way along. My initial plan was to wind and go back to Marsworth for the night, but I just couldn't face the return journey the same day.

Aylesbury Arm tomorrow, I hope it's a bit deeper!

We found the Wendover Arm was much better first thing in the morning. Water goes down the locks all day (although probably not as much at this time of year), but the level recovers overnight.

Ours is not bad at 27" draught.

Just out of interest it may be worth your while measuring it if you get a chance and putting this measurement on your boat pole plus 1".

Every now and again I use it to find spots on shallow places to determine exactly where to moor. Also, you can quickly check the lower gate cill depth if you feel there may be an issue.