Yottie convicted over collision

mayalld

Featured Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24670515

Still wondering why there was a prosecution.

There was a collision, he came off distinctly worse (no damage to the other vessel), so why prosecute?

Because he broke the rules which are very clear about impeding a larger vessel. IMO deserves all he got if you have seen the video of it you will know why. Its not enough to call "I'm racing"

• Greenie 1

Doesnt suprise me in the least. Although the scales are very different I have many times been cut up by idiots on their sailing dinghys etc and had to take evasive action when they if they new anything about col regs should no they should keep out of our way. I truly believe that even some seasoned boaters actualy still believe that Power gives way to sail which in many cases is simple nonsense.

Tim

Doesnt suprise me in the least. Although the scales are very different I have many times been cut up by idiots on their sailing dinghys etc and had to take evasive action when they if they new anything about col regs should no they should keep out of our way. I truly believe that even some seasoned boaters actualy still believe that Power gives way to sail which in many cases is simple nonsense.

Tim

I would agree as to his idiocy.

However, I struggle to believe that people who behave like, undaunted by the risk to life and their yacht will be deterred by a fine.

Does this mean that the next canoeist that races for a bridge hole and comes off worst can be prosecuted??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24670515

Still wondering why there was a prosecution.

There was a collision, he came off distinctly worse (no damage to the other vessel), so why prosecute?

Surely a prosecution was entirely appropriate - he was a serving naval officer at the time and should have known much better.

What an idiot. Says lots for royal navy personnel.

How so -

We can't condemn the whole of the Royal Navy on the foolhardiness of one individual surely?

Don't see why not - lots of folk on here are happy to assume all 130,000 police officers in the UK are corrupt based on the actions of half a dozen.

Hardly 'lots' to be fair the odd one maybe - and one in particular has an 'agenda' I'm sure.

Hardly 'lots' to be fair the odd one maybe - and one in particular has an 'agenda' I'm sure.

The ones who complain the loudest about the police funnily enough are often the ones who have a criminal past.

Tim

What an idiot!!!

On the roads I work on the basis that size rules

So a 44tonne lorry can frankly do and go wherever he wants as they have the biggest turning circle and takes forever to stop etc

Bikes and motorbikes are like this yacht and should learn the value of life

Why would you think that a tanker weighing 120000tonnes was going to give way for a little sailing boat

The ones who complain the loudest about the police funnily enough are often the ones who have a criminal past.

Tim

A classic example of sweeping the generalisation in the complete opposite direction.

Exactly!

Defend the Hillsborough thing, please, Tim, if you can.

I'm not anti Police in any way, but the revelations that have continued to come out over that do not need just the complicity of he odd half dozen bad cops, they point to a culture of "we can lie our way out of anything" that goes right to the top of several forces, and is far worse than most of us would ever have wanted to believe was possible.

We probably do have "the best Police force in the world", but some things they have done are completely indefensible.

• Greenie 1

I cant see the problem, common sence i would of thought, a SHIP is coming that way, oh i want to go that way so sod him.....i think not.

He deserves to get a good bolocking, why not.

come on no matter who or what, why would a ship try to stop or move out the way, not a chance in hell is there.

And for risking the lives on board i cnat see why anyone would question it.

Does this mean that the next canoeist that races for a bridge hole and comes off worst can be prosecuted??

Well the judge commented about "some Saturday afternoon jaunt by some inadequate vessel crewed by inexperienced, clueless and foolhardy people who frankly have no business being on the water at all." Sounds like some of the day-hire crews I've met over the years!

Actually the judge said:

"This was a serious yacht crewed by serious people in a regatta for a serious purpose. It was well equipped in terms of experience and ability to deal with any situation.

"This was not some Saturday afternoon jaunt by some inadequate vessel crewed by inexperienced, clueless and foolhardy people who frankly have no business being on the water at all.

speaking as some one who has sailed (and still does) in the Solent where this happens, as well as someone who has professionally worked in the same area bringing similar size ships to the one that hit the yacht I feel fairly confident to comment on this case.

IMO the guy should have had the book thrown at him. He was very lucky that his boat was not sunk or that anybody was killed. In that area where the incident happened is a large clearly marked "Caution Area" as this is where large ships approaching Southampton have to alter course from a Westerly direction to a North Easterly one. With the tides and shallow water in the area (for ships!) it is a very precise timing to be done and the area is set up to stop ships having to do a crash stop or run aground. This area is clearly marked on all navigation charts of the area as well as in the notes for all races taking place (the guy was racing in one of the Cowes Weeks yacht races) and also Southampton VTS (Radio Traffic Control) broadcast large ship movements in the area to avoid just this sort of thing happening.

In open waters sail DOES have right of way over power (in most but not all circumstances) however in enclosed waters such as approaches to channels as well as most of the English channel different part of COLREGs come into force. A Royal Navy officer are taught these well when at Dartmouth......

on one of the yachting forums I belong to the discussions on this case have been going on for a very long time!

Out of interest who DOES have right of way at bridge holes? Always assumed it was however got there first?

Out of interest who DOES have right of way at bridge holes? Always assumed it was however got there first?

AIUI, the boat on the towpath side gives way if there's any doubt about who's nearer, following the underlying principle that the vessel with more options should give way. But I can't remember where I first saw this, it doesn't work on turnover bridges, obviously, and there may be other factors in play.

For example, it seems to me to be a good rule that the boat in a wider channel should hold back, rather than forcing the other one into the offside hedge or onto a shallow decayed washwall.