Yottie convicted over collision

mayalld

Featured Posts

And there was me worrying and trying to avoid the 'odd fishing buoy's' whilst sailing in corfu, even if it was a plastic milk carton....a ship however is very hard to miss unless your blind or no one is on deck to keep lookout...

My skipper always said see a ship/yacht or floating milk cartons then to shout, we always went port to avoid the said object which meant it let other ship's/ yacht owners that we knew of there presence even if they were 3 to 5 mile away.

Even going off course was not a problem when your faced with a ship almost the size of the titanic and full of passengers - the rules are there for you and them...to keep us all safe

The said op's video in this case is sheer stupidity and clearly putting his crew's lives at risk

• 3 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24670515

Still wondering why there was a prosecution.

There was a collision, he came off distinctly worse (no damage to the other vessel), so why prosecute?

The same reason you would prosecute a drunk driver who breaks the speed limit, crashes into a tree and writes of his expensive car but doesnt hurt anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

On open water, power does give way to sail. Likewise, when racing different rules do apply. However, on inland waterways, where I believe this incident happened, there are different rules again. In all of them however there is a clause which says that it is the duty of the skipper to avoid a collision.

On open water, power does give way to sail. Likewise, when racing different rules do apply. However, on inland waterways, where I believe this incident happened, there are different rules again. In all of them however there is a clause which says that it is the duty of the skipper to avoid a collision.

Hasn't all this been very comprehensively covered previously in the thread, confirming when sail may actually give way to power.

This incident didn't happen on inland waterways BTW...

Edited by The Dog House

This happened in the Solent - not by any definition Inland Waterways.

I would also suggest that you re-read the rules because there are instances where power does not give way to sail and it's nothing to do with "open water" whatever that is.

However, this subject has been done to death but if you wish you can scroll back through the earlier pages to read the various postings.

Howard

Howard

Oh he was right as right can be

But still and all, he's dead, you see.

Try this version:

Here lies the body of Michael O'Shea

Who died defending the right of way.

He was right, dead right, as he sailed along.

But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Thanks Howard and Martin for the corrections.

By open water I mean just that, water which is not governed by the exceptions such as in a shipping lane or a separation zone etc. and yes, I agree the subject has been well covered.

If a power driven vessel gives way to a sailing vessel at all times then the windsurfer in the calais approaches has right of way over the dover ferry, is that what you are saying. Read the steering and sailing rules fool.

ken