The Bridge Inn, Napton

MtB

Featured Posts

David, you are kind, but I don't feel particularly "blamed" (maybe due to my Northern thick skin).

My post did begin with praise for the menu which Linzi had posted. It progressed to a mild pleasantry based, as it happens, on Mrs. Athy's treatment of boiled potatoes - she does not mash them, but crushes them on her plate.

If that's enough to cause somebody mortal offence, then I'm sorry.

For them.

Athy, I'm sure you didn't intend to annoy/upset Linzi with the remark

"Are "crushed potatoes" served because somebody in the kitchen is too idle to mash them thoroughly?"

and a simple smiley would have made that clear. It seems obvious that being a newcomer she isn't tuned in to the cut and thrust of how this forum works. Certainly, a simple sorry might have defused the misunderstanding, If nothing else it's good manners, or is that something that is not allowed on this forum?

Cheers

Howard

Edited by howardang

I must say that I am grateful to our Delta colleague - I had thought that "crushed potatoes" were what I described, i.e. boiled potatoes crushed with a fork, as practised by Mrs. Athy chez nous. I have learned that they are in fact roasted beforehand (though I'm not sure why they would then be crushed before beig served).

Since the forum technology was rejigged, Howard, I am not usually able to insert "smilies" - the little face on which one clicks to get to them is sort of glazed over, as are the buttone for italics, bold, etc. Sometimes they work, but not often. But you are absolutely correct in your assumption that no upset was intended.

I see that Linzi has been, or is, reading this topic. Come in, Linzi: what exactly are crushed potatoes?

Edited by Athy

Since the forum technology was rejigged, Howard, I am not usually able to insert "smilies" - the little face on which one clicks to get to them is sort of glazed over, as are the buttone for italics, bold, etc. Sometimes they work, but not often.

There is a 'switch' in the top left of the array of buttons which toggles between the 'new' wysiwyg editor interface, with all buttons available, and the old 'forum bb code' type interfact, where for some reason, they are not.

You can however also, in both modes, just type your required combination of colons and a brackets... :)

Daniel

and a simple smiley would have made that clear.

Has the English language deteriorated so far that we have to insert an infantile cartoon character in order that nobody takes offence?

Surely it would be simpler for everyone to have "All humorous quips are just a bit of friendly harmless fun" as their default setting, rather than "All humorous quips are a malicious attempt to belittle newcomers"?

As far as I'm concerned nothing I post ever has any malicious intent and it is the person who chooses to interpret my ramblings negatively who has the problem, not me, and I choose to interpret everybody else's attempts at comedy as friendly banter, too, whatever their intentions.

(edited to add: rolleyes.gif )

• Greenie 1

Has the English language deteriorated so far that we have to insert an infantile cartoon character in order that nobody takes offence?

Surely it would be simpler for everyone to have "All humorous quips are just a bit of friendly harmless fun" as their default setting, rather than "All humorous quips are a malicious attempt to belittle newcomers"?

As far as I'm concerned nothing I post ever has any malicious intent and it is the person who chooses to interpret my ramblings negatively who has the problem, not me, and I choose to interpret everybody else's attempts at comedy as friendly banter, too, whatever their intentions.

(edited to add: rolleyes.gif )

clapping.giflaugh.png

Linzi. Don't go anywhere. You are most welcome on here and yes you do get the odd adverse comment.

As far as Athy is concerned, knowing Mike (who is Athy in disguise) as I do, his sense of humour is all about what he wrote in his thread. He for one, will visit you I'm pretty sure.

Hang on in there, you will get to know who is friendly and who is hostile. Glad you hada full house last night. Please consider one of my previous posts, you will make genuine friends and customers on here.

Give this site time. I for one want to hear how you're getting on with your business venture.

Martyn.

And he pays CASHboat.gif

in a past life (last year) The Folly and The Bridge had some sort of partnership/agreement! They offered linked specials!

Have to agree - a proper flounce, and really no need!

No it didn't, it was the Bridge and the one at Fenny Compton who had the partnership.

I'll be stopping at Naption in a couple of weeks time... I'm torn now between The Bridge and The Folly.

I think I may have to compare both and report back. No, no medals please. I'm a public spirited kind of a guy ;)

No it didn't, it was the Bridge and the one at Fenny Compton who had the partnership.

Yep.

The Wharf at Fenny is a bit of a disaster area IMO, although now they've started serving 6X they've redeemed themselves slightly. Food is AWFUL by and large IME, but I had a passable Sunday lunch there recently.

Peeps seem to like the place because they serve large portions. <Schnerk> This seems to be all it takes to impress so many boaters....

I had a pint in The Bridge last week too. Beer at the Folly is WAY better!

MtB

Yep.

The Wharf at Fenny is a bit of a disaster area IMO, although now they've started serving 6X they've redeemed themselves slightly. Food is AWFUL by and large IME, but I had a passable Sunday lunch there recently.

Peeps seem to like the place because they serve large portions. <Schnerk> This seems to be all it takes to impress so many boaters....

I had a pint in The Bridge last week too. Beer at the Folly is WAY better!

MtB

For some reason the Folly doesn't do it for me, now when it WAS a pie pub!!

Linzi, on 21 Sept 2013 - 5:37 PM, said:

Last post from me.

Linzi.

That's a bit ungracious isn't it? It is permissable for people to reflect and change their minds - even on this forum.

Edited because I can't spell for tofu

Edited by billS