The Bridge Inn, Napton

MtB

Featured Posts

A new manager moved into The Boat at the top of Stockton Locks at about the same time as the Bridge Inn at Napton was re-opened earlier this year. Both pubs are owned by Punch Taverns. The Boat has also closed again recently. I understand from talking to the landlords that they have had previous leases with Punch and have made a success of other failing hostelries.

Neither had a good word to say for the company, but each described their experiences in terms of a stoic acceptance of the status quo. The Bridge is heading for demolition and the development of the large site for housing. Dubious site lines where the car park joins the road, together with its much smaller footprint, make The Boat's future as a housing site much more unlikely. But with competition from the 6 pubs in Long Itchington, at the bottom of the Stockton flight, it is unlikely ever to be a long term success. Such are the harsh realities of of today's pub trade.

As Dominic observes, there are ways of bucking the trend and The Merrie Lion in Fenny Compton is an excellent example. This is indeed down to the hard work, investment, experience and commitment of the couple who have taken it on, combined with the financial interest of members of the community.

Where's the Merrie Lion? I have been through Fenny both by boat and by road and have never noticed it - and I always notice pubs!

I just checked!

It's half a mile up the road into the village centre

I checked as I seem to be the only boater in the world less than impressed with The Wharf pub right on the cut there.

MtB

I just checked!

I checked as I seem to be the only boater in the world less than impressed with The Wharf pub right on the cut there.

MtB

Seemed a lot more than half a mile when we walked the (dangerous) road earlier this year!

I just checked!

MtB

I have mixed feelings about the Wharf at Fenny Compton. What you can not knock them for is for trying, and the range of services that the offer. We were up there on the boat 2 weeks ago and used the very handy shop there. I notice that you can also order boat parts there and have them delived, as well as all the other stuff like coal and gas they do provide good boater services. But as a pub, less impressed over the last couple of years, and the food can be a bit "plastic", but you certainly get plenty of it (Nachos starter is recommended, but you will not need a main!). We were in there on Friday evening and it was very quiet, and they had a band on as well (perhaps that was why it was quite!).

Not surprised to hear that The Boat has also closed down again. We were in there a couple of months ago, and it did feel much the same as when the previous tenants were in the last throws, most of the beer was off, and very limited food available, so I would say that they had basically given up by then.

I just checked!

MtB

Without directly commenting on the The Wharf, I'd say that it's well worth the walk into the village to visit the Merrie Lion.

However, on a dark winter's night 'tis not the best of roads to walk along and beware the railway bridge if it has rained. The road negotiates the main line at this point via a deep dip (both railway and road are, in reality, more or less at the same level) and I have seen this filled with water after a torrential downpour (like what we seems to be getting more and more of these days). This would equate to a water depth of somewhat in excess of 12ft!

The previous tenants of the Bridge told us they had just come from the Two Boats

Told me they'd come from a pub in Northamptonshire.

The Two Boats, although under relatively new management I believe, is in a totally different league - unless it's taken a dive since my last visit when I used to regard it pretty much as my local. I don't believe it's one of Punch Tavern's either.

Edited by Up-Side-Down

No you're not the only one. We've been totally unimpressed on our last two visits and don't bother any more

My perception is they are so busy providing all those services to boaters they've forgotten the core business of being a pub.

I've yet to get a good pint of 'real ale' in there and the food quality usually falls somewhere between passable and abysmal. Always enormous portions though, which many boaters seem easily fooled by, and equate with quality!

MtB

Very interesting, I had not realised that. So serial failures then!

Upon reflection, is there some confusion here between The Boat (top of Stockton Locks) and The Two Boats (bottom of Stockton Locks)? The ex-tenants of The Boat and The Bridge certainly know one another as they are both 'serving' under the Punch banner.

Upon reflection, is there some confusion here between The Boat (top of Stockton Locks) and The Two Boats (bottom of Stockton Locks)? The ex-tenants of The Boat and The Bridge certainly know one another as they are both 'serving' under the Punch banner.

Probably. I always get them confused. I meant to refer to the one at the top of the flight.

Probably. I always get them confused. I meant to refer to the one at the top of the flight.

Ah OK, but my comment still stands though, that one closed down as well.

I must admit that I thought all these people coming in to run these pubs handed over a wedge of cash to the pub co. to do that, and that basically the pub co. business model was to keep taking that of successive tenants who they know had no hope of succeeding.

The Wharf does an excellent line in greasy fungus lovingly steeped in mould-flavoured lard (although I think they marketed it as "mushrooms in a blue cheese sauce") that put me off the pub, and mushrooms, for some time. I'd personally avoid eating there for the foreseeable future, which is a shame as the menu always sounds appealing! Easy enough to spend a tenner on the sweetie/spice counter instead though! biggrin.png

Edited by Starcoaster

Interesting thread. As you can see I spend most of my time in Spain at this time of year. If a bar here only served till 8pm he'd be long gone. Also over here bars provide a totally different service. For instance you can go in at 9am and get fresh ground coffee and english or continental brekkie or just the coffee. A 3 course meal at 10.30pm would be normal. A 3 course with wine at lunch time is very popular as it's cheap at 7 or 8 euros and I'm not talking tourist places. I do think uk bars don't have the right approach. I often go for a coffee in the morning and read their papers and always choose a bar rather than a cafe. Another note is the approach to kids, a lot in uk don't think kids should be in bars but the same people come here expecting the opposite. If I had a uk pub it would look like I was wanting you to come in rather that just having a dull board outside saying The White Horse it would have several boards offering award winning coffee and a special lunch time menu which you couldn't resist.

Rant over.

Edited by bigste

.........you can go in at 9am and get fresh ground coffee and english or continental brekkie or just the coffee. A 3 course meal at 10.30pm would be normal. A 3 course with wine at lunch time is very popular as it's cheap at 7 or 8 euros and I'm not talking tourist places. I do think uk bars don't have the right approach. I often go for a coffee in the morning and read their papers and always choose a bar rather than a cafe. Another note is the approach to kids, a lot in uk don't think kids should be in bars but the same people come here expecting the opposite. If I had a uk pub it would look like I was wanting you to come in rather that just having a dull board outside saying The White Horse it would have several boards offering award winning coffee and a special lunch time menu which you couldn't resist.

Rant over.

Not sure what euros are but other than that - where would you find a place like that for heavens sake........rolleyes.gif

• 4 months later...

My first visit to the Folly. Was pleasantly surprised how nice it is in there.

Sad about the Bridge. It's certainly an on/off situation. More off than on at the moment.could and should return as a good pub.

Martyn

Is it next to the faded signage that's been there for the last three years saying 'under new management'?

MtB

No, it's a new sign that has just appeared there today. There has been quite a bit of activity there over the last few weeks so I presume it is now under new management/ownership.

Edited by Delta9