The Bridge Inn, Napton

MtB

Featured Posts

Isn't it owned by Punch Taverns? Noted for stitching up wet-behind-the-ears wannabe landlords with outrageously onerous tenancies?

If so, it looks like they've run out of fools willing to sacrifice their life's savings on the alter of free enterprise. Or something.

MtB

No, it's a new sign that has just appeared there today. There has been quite a bit of activity there over the last few weeks so I presume it is now under new management/ownership.

The signage I meant is hand-scrawled on the canal-facing brickwork with a brush dipped in white paint. Been there for the last three tenant-changes IIRC. The may as well leave it there!

MtB

The new sign is on an A board out by the road. It will be interesting to see how long the new landlords last. Hopefully they have a functioning kitchen this time round.

Edited by Delta9

The new sign is on an A board out by the road. It will be interesting to see how long the new landlords last.

Depends almost entirely on the terms of the tenancy agreement they've signed IMO. I hope they had their business heads on and not their 'we've dreamed for years of being landlords of a canalside pub' heads on.

But whatever, I wish them the very best success.

MtB

It depends on if you want to do a pub crawl or not .

What about my local village Cropredy 2 pubs neither canal side.

I think we need to expand the guidelines to an acceptable distance of the canal.

I think we need to expand the guidelines to an acceptable distance of the canal.

Both are within 200 yards of the cut though, it's hardly a route march to get to them. Irritatingly, the better one is the further away.

Pub crawls involve walking between pubs. A waste of valuable drinking time.

In my opinion for a pub to count as a canal pub, the cut needs to be visible from somewhere inside the pub. Otherwise it could be any old pub, anywhere.

MtB

Both are within 200 yards of the cut though, it's hardly a route march to get to them. Irritatingly, the better one is the further away.

Which one do you class as the better? Neither inspire me much. Last time I visited the Brasenose they had no NO real ale, FFS! And the Red Lion's cellaring left a bit to be desired the other day.

In addition, I've found the Red Lion closed when it ought be open on several occasions. The last time was about 10pm on the day the Brasenose had no real ale, and I'd ridden my bike all the way up to the village from Clattercote Wharf for a pint, grrrrr....

I should go out and mend some boilers!

MtB

I would walk to ether of the Cropredy ones from the boat, I wouldn't walk to The Crown at Napton

Which one do you class as the better? Neither inspire me much. Last time I visited the Brasenose they had no NO real ale,

MtB

I prefer the Brasenose. A good welcome, often good music (the landlord knows his music). We went in there on Maundy Thursday evening and there were three real ales on draught, the Hooky which I drank, Adnam's Broadside (bit strong for me) and A.N. Other.

If they had no ales on, it was doubtless because the crew of another historic boat had arrived just before you and drunk it all.

• 1 month later...

There is always an 'under new management' sign up IIRC.

It's also permanently painted on the garden wall facing the cut in white paint handwriting, so frequent are the changes.

MtB

Dammit, Allan beat me to it!

Yeh, the one painted on the wall facing the cut has been there ages. There is now a new red banner facing the road announcing the new management. They've just cut all the grass at the front, so maybe the banner was hiding behind that before, but it's red and it isn't faded so I don't think it's been there long...

We drove past yesterday, and the "Opening Soon" signs were still there. Mind you, even if they were open, it would be almost impossible to access the car park as the water board were digging up the road outside!!

I hope that, as apparently has been the case in the recent past, it is not under new mismanagement.

Why? The old management have kept it closed for the last few months. A new bunch might be able to improve on that!

MtB

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm it is now open. They are doing food starting tomorrow and will have WiFi soon. They also have a pool table now. The barman didn't appear to be batshit insane, so that's a definite improvement on the previous tenants.