The Bridge Inn, Napton

MtB

Featured Posts

Not really. You are limited to the amount of cash in your pocket. AND you have to have been to a bank or cashpoint in advance of the occasion arising when you want to spend it.

wink.png

MtB

Cash point, you need a card for them and then someone may be skimming it.ninja.gif

....and apparently a credit card can be "cloned". I didn't really believe this until my friend's wife had her card cloned at a garage in Kent (she should, of course, have paid in cash).

Looks as if we're all doomed, however we settle our transactions.

You do not, of course, need a cashpoint card to get cash from your bank if the bank is open. You just write a cheque and hand it to the cashier. It's some years since I did this, but I still see other people doing it.

Edited by Athy

Well I get Tesco points for every pound I spend on my card, I get nothing for cash. Now if these establishments gave a discount for cash judge.gifclapping.gif

Businesses get charged for banking cash and getting change. Staff time is taken up taking it to the bank regularly for security and to stay within insurance companies cash-on-premises limits. Why would they?

Tony, goods must by law be fit for purp[ose whether you pay for them with a credit or debit card, cash, postal order or whatever. One difference is that it often costs more to pay by credit card because companies sometimes impose a surcharge for their use.

ah yes, by law. But when they are not try to get your money back. When the vendor has taken the payment and refuses to send the goods, when the payment has been taken and the company goes broke. Even if you get a small claims court judgement in your favour there is no grantee that you will be paid without even more expense. I would rather pay 1.5% extra on certain transactions than carry all the risk myself.

Can Boondock post a link to back up his assertion please? My understanding is that the debit card company can try a charge back at their discretion - not much good if the company is in liquidation.

Cheques were to being discontinued..... not sure when.

Picking my way through your individual slant on t'mother tongue, I take it that you mean that there was a move afoot to discontinue cheques. Fortunately common sense has prevailed, and cheques will continue, thank goodness.

Perhaps I do not use them as much as I used to; I haven't written one since yesterday and haven't banked one since Tuesday (when, of course, I also paid my credit card bill).

I should mention Tony, that payment by debit card offers the same protection. Not an often publicised bit of information from the banks that!

No it doesn't. Using a debit card is just like paying with cash. Once you've paid you have to resort to civil proceedings to recover your money if justified. Your bank is most definitely not responsible in any way for the quality or non-existance of the goods. This responsibility only applies to the provider of a credit card. You may in some circmstances, be able to persuade the provider of a debit card to contra the seller's account if fraud or contravention of distance selling regulations can be proved but again, the debit card provider has no legal responsibility to reimburse you, unlike a credit card provider.

No it doesn't. Using a debit card is just like paying with cash. Once you've paid you have to resort to civil proceedings to recover your money if justified. Your bank is most definitely not responsible in any way for the quality or non-existance of the goods. This responsibility only applies to the provider of a credit card. You may in some circmstances, be able to persuade the provider of a debit card to contra the seller's account if fraud or contravention of distance selling regulations can be proved but again, the debit card provider has no legal responsibility to reimburse you, unlike a credit card provider.

You do have protection when using a debit card. Not as strong a protection as using a credit card but the major debit cards offer the protection of Chargeback which can be just as good in many circumstances.

GIve Chargeback a Google and read about it.

You do have protection when using a debit card. Not as strong a protection as using a credit card but the major debit cards offer the protection of Chargeback which can be just as good in many circumstances.

GIve Chargeback a Google and read about it.

That's what I said. Call it contra-account, call it charge-back, it's the same thing but you don't have a legal right to it and it depends to a great extent on the goodwill of the debit card provider. Personally, I wouldn't call it anything like the same protection as a credit card, in fact I wouldn't even call it protection but if you're happy to use a debit card to pay with then so be it. However, please don't try to persuade other people that they are safe doing so, just because you are happy to do so. Logically, it's got to be a better deal to take 50 plus days free credit and (almost) no arguement protection of your goods than to hand over a debit card.

Returning to the original topic, we called in at the Bridge yesterday. We had a warm and very friendly welcome, and a couple of very good pints of beer (Bombardier and Old Hooky were available). Dogs appear to be welcomed.

They are now open seven days a week (which is a good new feature) from at least noon until 11pm, and food is available at all times that they are open including very late evenings; at the moment they only have hot and cold sandwiches (tuna or ploughman's cold; chicken & stuffing, BLT, sausage & onion, or steak & mushroom hot) plus side dishes of chips, garlic bread, etc. People seemed to like what they were eating, the sandwiches were proper crusty doorstops for example, and they said they are working on getting the kitchens going properly so they can offer a full menu as soon as possible.

I've had to wait a day before posting this, as their WiFi connection isn't working yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought i would just clear a few things up.

I am the landlady of the bridge at napton. We are waiting on the card machine arriving, hopefully by the start of next week, we have only been managing the bridge for 6 week s and things take time to sort out we now have a bigger menu on and plnning on increasing it over tehe next few weeks, we are a very friendly warm and welcoming pub.

Welcome to the forum.

We haven't been in the Bridge for sometime (three years). As you are probably aware the business has been on and off recently, but am pleased that you seem to be grabbing the bull be the horns.

I wish you well. Keep posting as plenty on here pass that way frequently.

Martyn

Thanks for dropping in to update us on your progress, Linzi!

We went past there two weeks ago and noticed your sign proclaiming "Real Ales, Real Welcome", unfortunately we were in a Real Hurry to get to the Shackerstone festival, otherwise we would have tied up there and sampled your wares. Next time.....

I am the landlady of the bridge at napton. We are waiting on the card machine arriving, hopefully by the start of next week, we have only been managing the bridge for 6 week s and things take time to sort out we now have a bigger menu on and plnning on increasing it over tehe next few weeks, we are a very friendly warm and welcoming pub.

Please do something about the view from the canal ..... we went past several times this summer, but it looked very uninviting so we didn't stop.

I only mean this as constructive critisism, and wish you all the best.

We'll definitely stop next time.

Please do something about the view from the canal ..... we went past several times this summer, but it looked very uninviting so we didn't stop.

I only mean this as constructive critisism, and wish you all the best.

We'll definitely stop next time.

I agree, the moderrn red brick extension is less than attractive, painted white it might look more in keeping with the rest of the building. And as for the sign on the road, it is impossible to see until you have passed it, Whoever thought that a pale lilac bridge painted on a cream background was a good idea needs their head examining laugh.png

What do you have available right now? Perhaps you could post a menu? We are going past next week and would love to call in especially if you are dog friendly.

Bridge menu

Starters

Homemade soup of the day.
Prawn cocktail

Main meals

hunters chicken.

sausage, onion, mash

lamb shank, in a rosemary and mint sauce, served with crushed potato.

Ham, egg and hand cut chips.

Fish, chips and peas.

The bridge buffalo burger.

Home made steak and ale pie.

Sandwichers.

Prawn.

Ploughmans

ham ploughmans

chicken and stuffing

BLT

sausage and onion

steak and mushroom