Canal Closed

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

Once

long buckby last week, as mentioned above, if I hadnt run down and opened all the paddles in the bottom lock( and thank goodness it WAS the bottom lock), the cottages would have flooded.

twice

camden locks. December 2010. The locks were opened overnight(allegedly to break the ice so that boaters stranded at kensal green could escape serial break-in attempts). Paddington pound....20 miles plus....dropped almost a foot... flooding of properties and extensive damage was caused to the towpaths.

Yes, there have been plenty of instances of floods caused by incorrect operation of paddles but I still don't see any evidence of a 'tidal wave' capable of damaging a lock structure. Rather than keep coming up with historical flooding occurrences or quoting 'if I hadn't done this then that would have happened', perhaps it would be better to agree to disagree until such time as evidence as what really caused the Wolverhampton lock failure is in the public domain (if ever).

Don't know about a tidal wave, but on narrow locks, just after the bottom paddles of the next one up are opened, a wave of water hits the top gate. If, at the same time, theer was a surge of water down the bywash, I can see how a sizable wave could arive at the next lock down.

haggis

Don't know about a tidal wave, but on narrow locks, just after the bottom paddles of the next one up are opened, a wave of water hits the top gate. If, at the same time, theer was a surge of water down the bywash, I can see how a sizable wave could arive at the next lock down.

haggis

but some folks won't believe it, even if it hits them..........

I'm pretty certain it was Ian Kemp who had the unnerving experience of a coping stone splashing into the water behind the boat just missing the fenders while in Netherton tunnel. I'm prepared to be told I've got the wrong person as my memory is notoriously wooly but I'm sure I was told the tale by somebody.

Considering cart have a lot of historical property bringing in hardly any income it obviously makes financial sense to get rid of it all, but is that what cart should be doing? I would prefer cart to look after our heritage and maintain the whole structure. For instance a wharf sold is a wharf lost.

Edited by sueb

Considering cart have a lot of historical property bringing in hardly any income it obviously makes financial sense to get rid of it all, but is that what cart should be doing? I would prefer cart to look after our heritage and maintain the whole structure. For instance a wharf sold is a wharf lost.

OK, I have what I consider is a fairly clear answer from Stuart Mills about not just one of the numbers about "property" that figures in this presentation, but also further explaining some of the others. (He has agreed I can post it, and I can't fault the speed of his responses, either!...)

Now I'm sure that some will say that there is a fair amount of "spin" going on here, but if Stuart Mills' claim is correct that they can divest themselves of properties that do not produce a large income, but use the proceeds to buy those that produce a far greater income, then I'm not sure I see what the objection is to CRT dealing in property to generate income.

What I'm not yet understanding is how people think that different behaviours could suddenly produce a large stack of money to carry out a large program to try and reverse the declining maintenance of the canals. Surely that can only happen if property is sold, and the proceeds just spent, rather than reinvested? Its not hard to see why that wouldn't be a great idea in the long term, is it?

Yes - lots of spin! BW's strategy was to divest itself of low performing property and invest in joint property ventures.

Now we are being told that CaRT's strategy is to divest itself of low performing property and invest higher performing property.clapping.gif

Now we are being told that CaRT's strategy is to divest itself of low performing property and invest higher performing property.clapping.gif

So do you have alternate numbers that tell a different picture to what Stuart Mills is claiming about the better returns they are able to get from the properties they have been reinvesting in?

Not if they crashed through the boat roof and landed on the bed - ie they wait around all day until a boat comes past.

I may have to rethink my previous comments about the build quality of these Hudsons.

What is your boat roof made of, papier-mâché?

So do you have alternate numbers that tell a different picture to what Stuart Mills is claiming about the better returns they are able to get from the properties they have been reinvesting in?

Stuart Mills is claiming that if you invest in property that make a higher return then you will get a higher return. I have no issue with that.

I was merely pointing out that this particular claim has been made before. For years BW sold off properties on the basis that the money could produce better returns invested elsewhere. In three years alone they were over £110m out on plan.

I am told that CaRT's investment strategy is to sell off many smaller properties which have high overheads and low returns and invest in a smaller number of larger properties which have higher returns (they look for 8% gross).

It seems sound to me.

I may have to rethink my previous comments about the build quality of these Hudsons.

What is your boat roof made of, papier-mâché?[/size]

Alright, not a brick then, but a block of depleted uranium. Anyway we might have a houdini hatch.

Stuart Mills is claiming that if you invest in property that make a higher return then you will get a higher return. I have no issue with that.

I was merely pointing out that this particular claim has been made before. For years BW sold off properties on the basis that the money could produce better returns invested elsewhere. In three years alone they were over £110m out on plan.

I am told that CaRT's investment strategy is to sell off many smaller properties which have high overheads and low returns and invest in a smaller number of larger properties which have higher returns (they look for 8% gross).

It seems sound to me.

It also seems that, in the light of the double-digit cut to DEFRA's budget imposed in the recent Spending Review, the decision to move to the "Third Sector" was a good one, at least in the short term.

What is your boat roof made of, papier-mâché?

Its probably got a glass sunroof don't you know that is all the fashion theses days!laugh.png

But if you shone a torch down, waited for the bow to appear, dropped the brick, surely it would land on the boat somewhere near the back?

OK, you have convinced me there may be real risks involved. :lol:

Please provide a list of all known navigable tunnels where it is realistically possible to gain access to shine a torch down, without the use of a long ladder, and I'll make a point of wearing a hard hat, (a "depleted uranium proof" hard hat, of course!), for any you are able to identify..........

Otherwise I may just continue to chance it.

Above the southern portal of Coseley Tunnel there is a brick wall (or at least "rems of", as the OS maps used to say), which the scrotes use as a source of ammunition to drop onto boats emerging from the tunnel.

ETA: I realise that's not a ventilation shaft....

Edited by AndrewIC

Above the southern portal of Coseley Tunnel there is a brick wall (or at least "rems of", as the OS maps used to say), which the scrotes use as a source of ammunition to drop onto boats emerging from the tunnel.

They also use empty beer-bottles thrown from high on the hill, which gives them the bonus that even if they just miss you (as one just did, luckily, a couple of years ago) the unfortunate steerer will be showered in fast-moving shards of broken glass. When we tried reporting it to the police they said they weren't interested but recommended we report it to BW; they said they weren't interested and suggested we report it to the police.

Can't see that as radically different from what they could do at any of several hundred overbridges on the system with brick parapets where the mortar can be persuaded to part company!

Not dropping it down a long tunnel shaft somehow spoils the image I'm getting in my head of some kind of "CERN-like" collider that can accelerate an enriched uranium brick to the point that an even normally bullet-proof Hudson steel cabin can be propely penetrated........

That's it! That's why you can't find any evidence

The uranium will have accelerated so much that when it hits the rare metals used in the construction of the Hudson, it causes a rent in the fabric of the space/time continuum. The boat has disappeared over the event horizon

Richard

Allan just out of interest when do you think will be a good time to start looking forward or maybe even live in the present. Just want to prepare myself.

• Greenie 1