Canal Closed

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

Allan just out of interest when do you think will be a good time to start looking forward or maybe even live in the present. Just want to prepare myself.

Well John, CaRT say that our waterways have been in decline since 2004 (as measured by 'steady state'). They also say that they they will continue to do so (again as measured by 'steady state').

All I can say, looking forward, is that they have fudged the 'steady state' figures and the decline will be greater than they predict.

However, I suspect that is not what you want to hear!

Well John, CaRT say that our waterways have been in decline since 2004 (as measured by 'steady state'). They also say that they they will continue to do so (again as measured by 'steady state').

All I can say, looking forward, is that they have fudged the 'steady state' figures and the decline will be greater than they predict.

However, I suspect that is not what you want to hear!

I guess what I would like to hear would be you coming up with some doable solutions bearing in mind the financial restraints. Luckily a lot of people are volunteering and getting out doing some work instead of sitting at their keyboard.

I guess what I would like to hear would be you coming up with some doable solutions bearing in mind the financial restraints. Luckily a lot of people are volunteering and getting out doing some work instead of sitting at their keyboard.

A good point although holding CRT to account is not always negative given the amount of money that has been lost in the past in property speculation. If this resulted in more checks and balances then its good. With interest rates so low and CRTs financial appetite there must be pressure to maximise profit in investment perhaps at the expense of greater risk.As in any presentation there will always be a positive spin.

Be interesting to have a view of the "value" of the volunteer work now being performed by volunteers that previously would have been paid for CRT I suspect it's not that great at the moment. However IMO volunteers are a good thing in that they are eyes and ears that could make CRT aware of future problems in advance of major repairs. Volunteer management support should be next.

A good point although holding CRT to account is not always negative given the amount of money that has been lost in the past in property speculation. If this resulted in more checks and balances then its good. With interest rates so low and CRTs financial appetite there must be pressure to maximise profit in investment perhaps at the expense of greater risk.As in any presentation there will always be a positive spin.

Be interesting to have a view of the "value" of the volunteer work now being performed by volunteers that previously would have been paid for CRT I suspect it's not that great at the moment. However IMO volunteers are a good thing in that they are eyes and ears that could make CRT aware of future problems in advance of major repairs. Volunteer management support should be next.

Again you are looking at the past. I suggest you give CRT a chance they now have a new CEO and you never know might result in some new thinking.

With regard to volunteering there are I think 70,000 identified jobs to be done so IMO plenty without doing any work that CRT would ever have got round to. The thing about volunteers is that it frees CRT Staff to concentrate on the more major work. As an example I did help Rufford Volunteers clear Ivy from a bridge that if left much longer would have effected the brickwork on the bridge.

I agree making sure that CRT know that interested parties are keeping a watch on what is going on and providing feedback and holding them to account where necessary is a good thing. However, negativity for it's own sake constantly sniping at whatever CRT does is not constructive.

In the case of volunteer work I agree it would be useful to have contributions logged. Not all volunteer work is a saving to CRT I imagine though some work may get done that just would not otherwise.

The IWA Northampton branch this summer have officially adopted the Northampton Arm down to the Nene from the GU. I think much of the work the work parties will be doing (one next weekend) is in addition to what CRT would normally have been planning to do.

I agree making sure that CRT know that interested parties are keeping a watch on what is going on and providing feedback and holding them to account where necessary is a good thing. However, negativity for it's own sake constantly sniping at whatever CRT does is not constructive.

In the case of volunteer work I agree it would be useful to have contributions logged. Not all volunteer work is a saving to CRT I imagine though some work may get done that just would not otherwise.

The IWA Northampton branch this summer have officially adopted the Northampton Arm down to the Nene from the GU. I think much of the work the work parties will be doing (one next weekend) is in addition to what CRT would normally have been planning to do.

Does the same go with holding IWA and NABO to account?

• Greenie 2