A Lady, Two Dogs and a Cat.

Doorman

Featured Posts

The lady in question walked past our boat yesterday - I've no idea where she is now.

I've got £66 in my Paypal account, plus £5 donated by direct bank transfer, plus a couple of donations of unknown quantity in the post.

Can I have some votes from the contributors as to what to do with these surplus funds please?

My vote would be an animal charity.

Its been heartening to see the care this forum can generate and I don't mean to sound censorious but there is a danger of over egging it? Folk such as the lady in question are often fiercely independent and, even though she seems a kind soul, too much however well meant generosity can often have the reverse effect.

I learnt this lesson well in my youth, friends helped me totally revamp the fist floor of a house belonging to a family that had fallen on hard times, whilst they were grateful for the effort we had made, the husband was angry we had marked them as needy.

Not too bothered about where the surplus funds go but my fisrt choice would be towards the forum upkeep and my second choice would be to an animal charity - one of the smaller ones preferably. maybe a local dog rescue charity in Cheshire? As I said, not too bothered though as we have achieved the main objective.

haggis

My vote would be an animal charity.

Its been heartening to see the care this forum can generate and I don't mean to sound censorious but there is a danger of over egging it? Folk such as the lady in question are often fiercely independent and, even though she seems a kind soul, too much however well meant generosity can often have the reverse effect.

I learnt this lesson well in my youth, friends helped me totally revamp the fist floor of a house belonging to a family that had fallen on hard times, whilst they were grateful for the effort we had made, the husband was angry we had marked them as needy.

I would be inclined to agree with you here.

Sarah does come across as being an independent soul and perhaps too much attention might be perceived as an imposition upon her own way of life. Someone else on this thread suggested that family provide her with financial help and she did enquire how much the harness would cost. Apart from us funding it, the act of sourcing and delivering the harness was possibly equally as valuable to her.

Perhaps the idea of donating the surplus funds to an animal charity is the way forward, that way others can also benefit in a small way from the forum's generosity. With regard to forum funding, I would equally be happy to set up a standing order to cover Dan's costs at say, £5 per year. If this small amount is insufficient then advice would be welcomed.

Mike

Perhaps the idea of donating the surplus funds to an animal charity is the way forward, that way others can also benefit in a small way from the forum's generosity. With regard to forum funding, I would equally be happy to set up a standing order to cover Dan's costs at say, £5 per year. If this small amount is insufficient then advice would be welcomed.

Mike

At around the time of the forum change over to the latest version the site owner was talking about setting up a 'donate by PayPal' facility button which you often see on other forums.

Sadly this hasn't transpired yet as it is an easy way to help pay for the running of a forum.

Edited by The Dog House

At around the time of the forum change over to the latest version the site owner was talking about setting up a 'donate by PayPal' facility button which you often see on other forums.

Sadly this hasn't transpired yet as it is an easy way to help pay for the running of a forum.

Good idea and well overdue.

I know it's a bit late, but i'm struggling for internet at the moment. I've just added £5 to the 'excess' that Ange has in her PayPal account. As i initially offered to help but then missed what was going on, i feel it's only right.

My suggestion as to what to do with the money would be an animal charity (as long as it's not the RSPCA!). I know Alanji recently took adog from a rescue centre, prehaps the money could go to that one? Alternatively somebody (Ange?) could 'hold' the money until a forum member next wants to adopt a cat/dog from a rescue centre and then give them the money to put towards the required donation?

Alternatively, if the forum is in need of funds to keep it going i'd have no problem with the money going to cover the costs of keeping the forum running.

Edited by junior

I have a couple of charity suggestions:

The Dog's Trust Hope Project, which helps to fund care, support and veterinary treatment for the pets of homeless people (regardless of why they are homeless).

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/h/hopeproject/#.Ucix0DQ3uPM

Or the Cinnamon Trust, which helps helps sick and elderly people without any support network to care for their pets.

http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/

The Dog's Trust Hope Project, which helps to fund care, support and veterinary treatment for the pets of homeless people (regardless of why they are homeless).

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/h/hopeproject/#.Ucix0DQ3uPM

On the basis that that's the charity the lady on the towpath could turn to should she ever need to, i'd be happy to go with that.

On the basis that that's the charity the lady on the towpath could turn to should she ever need to, i'd be happy to go with that.

That gets our vote too.

We passed this lass with her dogs on Saturday afternoon, just north of Hack locks heading towards Nantwich. My better half did have a chat and all seemed well.

Stan.

You ought to be careful wandering around these parts on your boat, you could get lost (we should be so lucky). If ever you see our boat that far away from Audlem tell the police! Obviously, someone else has taken it there. :-)

Edited by Doorman

Yep, splendid idea - thanks Starry :cheers:

I'm going to hang on a little while because, believe it or not, the money's still coming in! Another £5 popped up in my Paypal account today making a total of £82.83 plus a couple of postal donations that I'll be picking up on Friday.

Brilliant stuff