A Lady, Two Dogs and a Cat.

Doorman

Featured Posts

Hi everyone ,

Sarah has asked me to let you all know that sadly Baloo passed away this morning, and to say she has really appreciated all the help you have given her on her journey, the harness has helped her enormously . Sadly Baloo never got to go on her new boat but Sarah, Lily the Labrador and Nelix the cat are now on board, but she would appreciate a little space while she comes to terms with her sad loss.

Sarah asked for help on Friday as she was on the tow path and Baloo could no longer walk, we were able to give her shelter and support and Baloo died in a safe and comfortable place with Sarah, Lily and Nelix by his side at 7am today.

Hopefully the next update will be a happier one, she is safe now on her little boat and will no doubt be continuing her journey soon.

So sad. My thoughts are with her.

Hi everyone ,

Sarah has asked me to let you all know that sadly Baloo passed away this morning, and to say she has really appreciated all the help you have given her on her journey, the harness has helped her enormously . Sadly Baloo never got to go on her new boat but Sarah, Lily the Labrador and Nelix the cat are now on board, but she would appreciate a little space while she comes to terms with her sad loss.

Sarah asked for help on Friday as she was on the tow path and Baloo could no longer walk, we were able to give her shelter and support and Baloo died in a safe and comfortable place with Sarah, Lily and Nelix by his side at 7am today.

Hopefully the next update will be a happier one, she is safe now on her little boat and will no doubt be continuing her journey soon.

All that matters is that Baloo was loved and is now at peace and how wonderful that Sarah had friends around to help her through a very very sad time. Thankyou :)

Thanks for the update Groucho.

There will be a very big hole in Sarah's heart now Baloo is gone. Anyne who has ever lost a much loved animal will understand what she is going through. He had a fantastic life with Sarah and for such a long time he must have been a huge concern to her. RIP Baloo. You served that lass well.

Lily and Nelix have a new chapter of their life with Sarah ahead. We all know they are going to be just fine with their new boat. I hope the camaraderie she has experienced with the boating community allows her to ask for advice when she gets a problem without fear of people poking their nose in. I suspect now she has a boat to sleep in more people will see that as "conforming" and so she may be allowed more peace than she was before.

The loss of a much loved pet takes time to move on from, my thoughts are with them and I hope that the next chapter in Sarahs life brings her peace to continue her journey. Thanks to all those who extended a hand of friendship and support--well done.

Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time and were able to give her what she needed

Sad - but - glad that you were there to help and he had a loving and dignified death

Sarah asked me to take a stove off her boat, it wasn't fitted, it is a Kubola "Old Dutch" diesel heater, it looks to be in good condition but she has decided she would prefer a tiny wood burner for her "tiny boat " it is only about 18ft long, there is a base already there for a stove.

I said I would try and sell it for her, I haven't got a clue about these things so any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated. I also think that Sarah's little pot of money will soon be running dry. I can supply a picture of it if necessary.

Many thanks

Sarah asked me to take a stove off her boat, it wasn't fitted, it is a Kubola "Old Dutch" diesel heater, it looks to be in good condition but she has decided she would prefer a tiny wood burner for her "tiny boat " it is only about 18ft long, there is a base already there for a stove.

I said I would try and sell it for her, I haven't got a clue about these things so any ideas about this would be greatly appreciated. I also think that Sarah's little pot of money will soon be running dry. I can supply a picture of it if necessary.

Many thanks

I would try and get a few photo's of the stove and get them hosted somewhere so you can share them in a thread in the "for sale or wanted" section on here.

I have no idea how much this stove might be worth but someone will be along shortly who might give you a better idea. When you do create the thread pop a link in to this thread and vice versa so anyone looking at it will understand the background of it being available without you having to explain.

I've only just picked up on this latest episode of Sarah's journey and both me and Chrissie are saddened to hear of Baloo's death. He was a strong old guy but the constant towpath treking appeared to be taking its toll on his bones. No doubt Sarah will be comforted by Lily and Nelix, both of whom will also be aware of her loss.

Groucho, although new to this forum you have readily adapted to the kindness shown on here towards this lady and her animals, your help when it mattered most is truly commendable.

A pint will always be waiting for you if ever you visit Audlem.

Edited by Doorman

A message from MRS GROUCHO

I am hijacking Mr Grouchos post here as I feel the whole story and a few more details about Baloos rescue need to be told to all of you who have extended the hand of friendship to Sarah.

Sarah texted on Friday afternoon saying she needed help, Baloo couldn't walk and needed a vet, but unfortunately she could not give the exact location of where she was before her phone battery ran out.

Mr Groucho and daughter went out to look for Sarah, they searched the tow path for miles around Chester looking for her and calling her name, it was dark and pouring with rain and they were desperate to help Baloo. Feeling dejected they came home and searched on google earth to see if we could work out were they were, in the end it was groucho daughter who found the location were we thought she might be. It was too late now to do anything as the location did not have road access and was well over a mile from the nearest road, in the middle of nowhere and not even being sure that she was there.

Early next morning Mr Groucho went to search the location and found her there, he had also arranged for a friend to bring his van which had a tail lift. Poor Baloo could not stand at all and desperately needed help. He could not be carried by one person, so a make shift stretcher was made out of Sarah's sleeping bag and two branches of a tree. By this time there were three men helping and Baloo was carried for over a mile on the stretcher to the waiting van. He was put in the van with Sarah, the labrador, the cat and all of Sarah's belongings. Baloo was taken straight to the vet who upon examining him was extremely upset and said he needed to be put out of his suffering immediately, Baloo had lost all use of his legs at this point, but unfortunately Sarah would not agree. Our vet was in tears pleading with her but she would not let him. He said he would have no choice but to phone the RSPCA and get an order, he was devastated she would not agree.

Later that evening the only thing we could do was to offer some shelter and much needed comfort for Baloo hoping that Sarah would eventually realise that it was not fair on him. And so Sarah and her little family ended up in our conservatory where they stayed until Baloo died the next morning at 7am. During the night Sarah agreed that we could phone another vet in the morning, and if they gave the same diagnosis she would agree to send him to sleep.

Anyone who has seen Baloo over the past few months will know that he suffered, and I know that a lot of people have spoken to Sarah to try and make her see that Baloo was suffering. I first saw him a few weeks ago lying on the tow path and actually thought he was dead then. Since then Sarah has continued to walk him along the hard tow path ending up a few miles away. Poor Baloo has been in pain and sleeping in the open with only a tarpaulin for shelter, all the bad rain we have had could not have helped. Also a few days previously Sarah had left the dogs and cat on their own while she went off somewhere, when she returned she found she had been robbed and the dogs were traumatised. Baloo would not have been able to stand up and protect himself, it is probably since then that he could not walk at all. One dares not think about what could of happened to them or indeed if they were attacked by the scum.

Everyone has been extremely upset by all of this and having to watch poor Baloo suffering. I would just like to reiterate Mr Groucho's earlier comments of " I wish Sarah could find it in her heart to put Baloos welfare before her dream" but I think that this has been a very sad case of love is blind, and Baloo has suffered terribly for it.

I'm sure some of you will go off on one after reading this and say things like it was up to her, which in the end it was, but you didn't see Baloo at the end like we did.

I think that Sarah has a lot of problems in her life but in the end she is master of her own destiny and the best anyone can do is to give her help if she needs it. After reading this forum I have learned that the people of the boating community are wonderful and I feel a little better knowing that people will keep an unobtrusive eye on her, Lily and Nelix.

Poor Baloo, at least his suffering is over now.

• Greenie 1

I would try and get a few photo's of the stove and get them hosted somewhere so you can share them in a thread in the "for sale or wanted" section on here.

I have no idea how much this stove might be worth but someone will be along shortly who might give you a better idea. When you do create the thread pop a link in to this thread and vice versa so anyone looking at it will understand the background of it being available without you having to explain.

Unfortunately I don't think s/h diesel stoves are fetching much over the last couple of years.

(-Since the derogation on red diesel).

I don't know how to put this best but:

To help with the cost of the change to a solid fuel stove I would be happy to put a few quid in the pot like we did for the harness.

I am aware that Sarah is very proud and independent but a s/f stove at a "bargain price" would be a good find

Obviously this needs to be handled with tact and discretion by those who know her.

I will defer to those on here closer than myself.

ETA. Mrs Groucho has just posted as I was writing this.

I am very sad.

Edited by andywatson

Thoughts and prayers with Groucho and wife as you helped a very determined lady - how awful that poor Baloo was so ill he couldn't walk and yes; those of us with animals can be blind sometimes. There but for the Grace of God etc, I hope that she and her little family are safe on their little Boat and may retribution find the people who robbed her and traumatised the animals - thank goodness she had you to text.

I hope she finds peace in her new home - RIP Baloo run free at the Bridge til you meet again (edited for predictive text and random copying).

Edited by StarUKKiwi

Baloo was a sloppy kisser! And his little wondering family all touched my heart. Bless!

Seen some cheap used stoves around on the internet. But they have all been to big except for one that looked like a early Pipsqueek that went last week or so.... But, perhaps someone could help her weld a woodburning ammo box stove? New boxes are available on eBay for 14.99. And there's tutorials on youtube.

Edited by Caprifool

GROUCHO, on 28 Oct 2013 - 9:10 PM, said:GROUCHO, on 28 Oct 2013 - 9:10 PM, said:

A message from MRS GROUCHO

I think that Sarah has a lot of problems in her life but in the end she is master of her own destiny and the best anyone can do is to give her help if she needs it. After reading this forum I have learned that the people of the boating community are wonderful and I feel a little better knowing that people will keep an unobtrusive eye on her, Lily and Nelix.

Poor Baloo, at least his suffering is over now.

Hello Mrs Groucho and thanks for eleborating on the events of last Friday. Your husband appears to be a humble man who only wished to share a small part of the drama for reasons of his own. 'Going the extra mile' just about sums up the actions of of both your family and friends, in that you extended the hand of help to Sarah at a time when she needed it most. Well done!

Your description of the vet's despair was heart rendering to say the least and I hope that people will not condemn Sarah for trying to prolong Baloo's life when he was clearly struggling to continue. I can only imagine the turmoil she was going through at that time and her emotions were apparently overshadowing reason. I can still recall the plaintive look on Harry, my pet Rotweiller's face, when witnessing our vet administering the fatal injection due to him losing the use of his legs for the umteenth time. He looked up to me for reassurance, a man in his forties, crying like a baby! It is extremely difficult to end the life of a family pet, even though you know that it's the humane thing to do.

This is the second attempt at replying to your post, the first was aborted when our new kitten Charlie, pawed the 'backspace' button on the keyboard. Ironically, it was when Sarah's cat Nelix sidled up to our Paddy the Labrador, on the towpath, and Paddy's timid reaction reassured us that it would be fine to recruit a new crew member, did we finally agree to re-home a cat. Little did we know how disruptive he'd be! The poor Labrador is terrified of this feline foe.

Here's the little sod relaxing on Mrs Doorman's back support cushion!

2u4so4y.jpg

Edited by Doorman