A Lady, Two Dogs and a Cat.

Doorman

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We just dropped the stove money with Sarah.

She hasnt done anything about a stove yet, puzzling about what is best.

Maybe the brains and wisdom of everyone on here may solve the following problems:

The boat is small,about 18ft. The stove location is prepared, front corner,fireproof base, fireproof wall cladding.

What are the constraints regarding fitting?

Obviously, the correct carbon monoxide detector first.

But, regarding chimney..I looked at machine mart catalogue regarding flues, single/twin wall etc.

Is there a set of guidelines anywhere?

Anyone out there qualified to fit one?

Of course, she still needs to find a small stove!

next question.........

The engine is a volvo penta, I didnt take much interest the other week as a lot was going on.

Sarah travelled about 5 miles to her present location.

She cant start the engine.

Someone said it was a MDB2? [its 2 cyls]

The starter battery, whilst not flat, was not fully charged, so prob needs jumping.

Does it have heater plugs? or what is the technique for starting these? [without easystart!]

The engine needs sorting before the locks are repaired at Beeston and I havent a clue about engines.

Dont suppose theres anyone near that could offer any hands on advice?

Maybe someone knows the boat and can cast a bit of light on the engine etc. Mr Toad, was at Golden Nook

Apologies for bombarding you all with the questions...but I dont know how to help.

Well I have finally managed to stop the tears enough to write my thoughts here.

Each and everyone of you involved in "A Lady, Two Dogs & a Cat" from making that first approach, organizing the harness, making the donations required for the harness, the offer of a caravan, in nasty weather searching for a sole in need, and giving space in your home so a much loved and suffering pet could pass his last hours in comfort; to the current chapter of this tale and the purchase and installation of the stove. You should all be VERY proud of yourselves.

This thread has touched so many emotions & memories, with the every present but behind the scenes Pay it Forward analogy. If Ever I can be of support whether it be a financial donation or something practical, please count me in.

You folks & this thread Really do go a long way in revitalizing the true meaning and belief that "magnanimous kindness toward Humanity" does still exist.

Best Regards,

B~

next question.........

The engine is a volvo penta, I didnt take much interest the other week as a lot was going on.

Sarah travelled about 5 miles to her present location.

She cant start the engine.

Someone said it was a MDB2? [its 2 cyls]

The starter battery, whilst not flat, was not fully charged, so prob needs jumping.

Does it have heater plugs? or what is the technique for starting these? [without easystart!]

The engine needs sorting before the locks are repaired at Beeston and I havent a clue about engines.

Dont suppose theres anyone near that could offer any hands on advice?

Maybe someone knows the boat and can cast a bit of light on the engine etc. Mr Toad, was at Golden Nook

Apologies for bombarding you all with the questions...but I dont know how to help.

Regret rather far from Reading.

Those old Volvos have decompressers on the rocker covers and a cold starts button (brass) on the flat area at the back of the cylinder blocks where the injector pump is mounted.

Pull the decompressers up to vertical, set the throttle to fully open and push the cold start button. Operate the starter. It will probably spin over just fine without any compression. When it has reached its maximum speed throw one decompresser lever down whilst keeping it cranking. With a bit of luck it will fire on one cylinder and that will help the starter so throw the other one down. Hopefully it will start.

If not done so already please check if there is any form of charge splitting, I rather doubt it, but it could be a 1,2,both, off switch and if so try it in another position (1 or 2). Once its is running and warm stop it & put it on both but tell her to turn it back to 1 or 2 when she stops the engine so she can use the other position to start the engine. However if its a really old engine it may have a dynostart and if so the charging will be very modest so electricity use will need minimising.

Thanks for that reply.

I dont know for sure which model it is, just someone suggested MD2.

I have been trawling the internet.

trying to get an ology on the penta engine!

I need to establish whether its a 2000 series or a MD2.

how do you tell which one it is?

Do both have decompression levers?

Which ones do you pull and push the stop button for cold start?

There is 2 red isolators, one for start and one for leisure battery.

ps

Sarah is presently near Beeston, Cheshire

Edited by GROUCHO

If the glow plugs are knackered, you can start by removing the air filter, and putting a blowtorch flame down the air intake whilst turning over. Sounds drastic, but its not as bad as it sounds.. It'll fire very quickly if this is the problem.

EDIT: sounds like it won't have glow plugs, so ignore the above!

Edited by FidoDido

1. For our/your starting purposes I doubt it will matter which model it is.

2. On the MDs the stop is built into the throttle mechanism. The throttle stop screw on the engine has a plunger on it (early ones did not) which can stick in. When the lever is against the plunger the engine should be on tick over. Further "slowing down" so the plunger gets pushed back into the screw is the stop position. This means the engine will never start with the throttle closed and they do not sit happily with single lever controls.

3. I think both have decompressors because both can be equipped with hand starting.

There have been a number of variations over the production run of the MDs. The photo below shows a big red oil filler but earlier ones filled via the rocker cover plugs.

http://www.tb-training.co.uk/forumpics2.htm

Edited to add: maybe informative but the Volvo range is not one I have much experience of! I have no idea how to tell which from which except phone a Volvo agent and ask.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Would a Salamander pip squeak be the one to get?

As far as little stoves for little spaces goes the Pipsqueak is, in my opinion, one of the best you can get, unfortunately reflected in the fact that they have a backlog of orders and it is unavailable until early 2014.

Hello Groucho and heartfelt thanks for your continuing care towards Sarah and her remaining pets. Sadly, I cannot offer any further help regarding the Volvo engine and Tony seems to have covered the main points already. Hopefully, someone will come along who's versed in stove installations as this task is not for the amateur, due to safety reasons.

All that we can offer are three 110amp/hour leaisure batteries that I replaced last year, but have kept charged by way of an external land based generator. If these are any use to Sarah, please let us know and we can pop along with them as we are not too far away in Audlem.

Thanks again,

Mike & Chrissie

Edited by Doorman