A Lady, Two Dogs and a Cat.

Doorman

Featured Posts

It may sound daft but a watermate Key (bw key) may be a good idea for her out of the funds, thats if she hasnt already got one.

PM me please Ange i was waving frantically in the corner but you missed me clapping.gif

Well, what a great bunch of folk you all are!

From a simple meeting to check up on her dog's welfare, a taste of Mrs Doorman's lovely Spag Bol & Madeira cake and next thing loads of you are sending donations in to help out. Chrissie and I kidded Sarah into thinking that the harness was second hand and donated from a dog handler when she enquired about the cost, together with the quip about the CART legislation regarding boaters etc., So, we would have loved to have seen her face when Ange & Dave turned up with the new one.

She is totally self-sufficient and asks nothing from anyone, so, as Lonewolf mentioned, she did really need this animal aid to keep old Baloo from rolling down embankments and would have struggled to source one elsewhere. We caught up with her this morning en route to her next stop which by chance was near to Ange's boat. Old Baloo was sprawled out on the grass and she had to pause a while before encouraging him up on his feet to enable me to measure him up. Because he is in some discomfort with arthritis, I was a little wary of stretching the tape measure around his broad shoulders in case he ate me! Fortunately, he trusted me to size him up and I lived to tell the tale.

In the meantime, we'd positioned our Lab Paddy at a distance in order to keep Sarah's cat from being frightened, or licked to death. Amazingly, the cat crept up on Paddy and introduced herself. Sarah claimed that this was quite unique as the cat normally shies away from strangers, and Paddy is truly strange. Then, once Baloo had recovered his breath back, this shy lady packed up her possessions in her heavy kit bag and got on her way towards Ange & Dave's boat.

We took a couple of photos of Baloo and the cat cosying up to Paddy and then finally Sarah and her troupe trundling along the towpath. If you can imagine someone of slight build and about 5' 6" in height, loaded up with a full kit bag on her back and a foam bed roll nestling on top, then, a cat cradle positioned in the front just to balance things out, then this is her burden. Any wonder she only moves from bridge to bridge, day to day!

We are positive that this quietly spoken lady will remember Audlem and the boaters who suddenly grouped together to come to her aid, and we are very thankful to you all in general and Ange in particular for doing so. There may be the odd fractious moment on this forum but I've always believed that there's a common bond between boaters.

Well done to everyone!

Mike & Chrissie

Edited by Doorman
  • Greenie 3

Mike

That's probably the first post that had made me wipe an eye for many many years

As you profoundly said we may not always agree with each other but the forum is richer for the friends it has and makes

I hope one day our paths cross in real time hopefully at a pub where we can share a beer

Safe roads

Chris

But, if she is only moving 1 bridge every few days, is this sufficient to make her a CCer or is she a CMer?

Sorry, I'll leave now!

But not without saying "well done" to those who got off their backsides and made this happen.

Just caught up with this and have been reading it out loud to the OH as our bedtime story. Now we're crying!!

Wonderful, heart-warming stuff.....and a heartfelt 'job well done' to all involved. Only regret is that we're too late to contribute or help, especially as we're moored near Nantwich.

Paul & Jo

Ange, did you manage to get one fron RSPCA at Coxbank, or elsewhere locally?

It was from the RSPCA at Coxbank - and thanks to you for giving us the linky to make it so easy to source it.

Doorman - what a lovely post, and Quebec it brought tears to my eyes as well.

My only concern is that too much credit is being given to my part in this. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time and only had to drive two miles to give the forum gift to the lady who was at that moment camped under a bridge a few hundred yards from our boat. I didn't even have to do much research - Pennine found the perfect source for the harness, Starcoaster and Haggis gave advice on the right sort of harness - I wouldn't have known and might have given her one of the cheap nylon ones that would have chafed Baloo. I'm sure everyone who donated money would have done exactly the same thing if they'd been in the same place at the same time.

Lets just have a group hug and include me as one of those that helped.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

It may sound daft but a watermate Key (bw key) may be a good idea for her out of the funds, thats if she hasnt already got one.

PM me please Ange i was waving frantically in the corner but you missed me clapping.gif

That definitely isn't a stupid idea! If she hasn't got one a BW key would make a big difference to her life. As it happens we keep saying we need a spare, so we'll buy one, take it to her and ask if it'd be handy for her. If she says yes it comes out of the surplus, if she waves her own BW key at us we have a spare. Win win.

• Greenie 2

What kind of cat carrier does she use to transport the cat in, one that you have to hold in your hands? There are other less common options that might suit her better for walking laden, such as a fabric one with rucksack straps (that she could wear front or back) and another that's like a papoose without leg holes and an open top.

Edited by Starcoaster

Well done Ange & Doorman and anyone else that had anything to do with this wonderful thought and action. Hopefully when the Aussie flotilla arrives next May we may even see Sarah and Baloo and be able to say to our yobbo mates that we had a very small part(1.74gbp) in helping out someone less fortunate than ourselves.

But, if she is only moving 1 bridge every few days, is this sufficient to make her a CCer or is she a CMer?

Sorry, I'll leave now!

But not without saying "well done" to those who got off their backsides and made this happen.

That's it, there'll be salt in your next pint when we meet again! She could be legitimately described as a bridge hopper though. :-)

What kind of cat carrier does she use to transport the cat in, one that you have to hold in your hands? There are other less common options that might suit her better for walking laden, such as a fabric one with rucksack straps (that she could wear front or back) and another that's like a papoose without leg holes and an open top.

It's more of a plastic cat house that you see in vets when owner bring their cats in for treatment. I think Sarah keeps the cat in there for its own safety when she goes off to any nearby shops.

She was camped out opposite us for a day or two and when she nipped into the village both dogs would remain near her kit bag, even when other dogs and their owners walked by. I thought that our Paddy was well behaved but Sarah has a knack with animals. She told me that she threatens to tie them up if they stray from their temporary home and that threat seems to do the trick

I'll post a few photo's on the site later.

I think this is a brilliant result.

So many people have registered concern for this lady, her safety, her comfort, the welfare of her animals. So many people admire her ability to live a life most of us cannot even start to comprehend.

Through careful consultation without intrusion Mike & Chrissie managed to identify a need. This forum then did what it does best - everyone worked together and did what they could to fulfill that need. Those on the spot were able to roll up their sleeves and do something practical. Those watching on from a distance were able to feel involved but metaphorically dropping a few coins into the collection box.

I wish Sarah well. I hope in her travels she finds whatever it is she seeks in life. I sincerely hope that the gift of the harness is not only useful but does not make her feel that her independence has been compromised in any way. I hope she will feel more able to request assistance for little things that are a struggle for her in future, especially from the boating community.

• Greenie 1

This is the guy that all of the fuss is about! Balou. As soon as Sarah stops for a breather he thinks it's sleep time. You could quite easily mistake him for a circus bear.

24dfnmo.jpg

One word from me and he does what he likes!

syqzbm.jpg

Sarah's cat introducing herself to Paddy. Most dogs would have a field day in this situation but seeing as we've not received his brain yet in the post, he's not quite sure what to do.

fablvd.jpg

A fond farewell and off she goes. Fully ladened up with enough gear to stop a commado in his tracks.

As Jan (Cheshire Rose) says, let's hope that the experience will enlighten this towpath traveller to the kindness available from her boating friends.

As in every place that she's been, Sarah leaves no evidence of her being there.

So, if any of you spot this lady and her entourage on your travels, please give her a friendly nod and accept that although she's not what you'd call a conformist, it's her choice of lifestyle without being a burden to anyone else. She is softly spoken with a ready smile and I suspect a dignity that may have some believe that she's somewhat reclusive.

Without wishing to intrude on her personal space, a quick chat will reveal if all is at one in her life and I'm sure that once she knows you're a boater, you'll have an instant and appreciative friend.

1ysmmo.jpg

Edited by Doorman

I hope one day our paths cross in real time hopefully at a pub where we can share a beer

Safe roads

Chris

Chris,

A word of warning! If our paths hopefully cross and Ange & Dave are nearby too, be prepared. Have someone close by with a direct line to Alcoholics Anonymous because by the time us lot will have finished you'll be a life long member. :-)

Blimey this has moved on!! Having posted my initial offer of help i then travelled back from France to the UK to arrive to no internet. I get back on a couple of days later to find 7 pages.

TS150230.jpg

Well and truely cocked that previous post up.

Thats is the only type of harness i would have been able to get from work and wouldn't have been suitable i don't think.

Am i right in thinking the harness was sorted? If so where can i make a contribution please?

If either of the dogs need anything else just let me know and i'll see whats available at work. I'm back out there tuesday for a week and will attempt to get some bits and bobs to bring back with me.

Edited by junior

Blimey this has moved on!! Having posted my initial offer of help i then travelled back from France to the UK to arrive to no internet. I get back on a couple of days later to find 7 pages.

TS150230.jpg

Well and truely cocked that previous post up.

Thats is the only type of harness i would have been able to get from work and wouldn't have been suitable i don't think.

Am i right in thinking the harness was sorted? If so where can i make a contribution please?

If either of the dogs need anything else just let me know and i'll see whats available at work. I'm back out there tuesday for a week and will attempt to get some bits and bobs to bring back with me.

Thanks Junior,

we wondered what had happened to you. Ange has kindly taken responsibility for collecting donations although she has mentioned that the cost of the harness has been covered already. When I mentioned your offer of medication for her ailing Newfoundlander, Sarah politely replied that she treats him with herbal remedies for his arthritis.

But, it was from your initial offer that the ice was broken and she explained how difficult it was to lift the bear like animal if ever he falls, or rolls down an embankment and a harness would be an advantage. So you inadvertantly started the ball rolling as it were. The fact that you were away and without internet contact simply galvanized the troops and brought the best out of this unruly group involved in Canal World Discussion Forums.

It is reassuring that should any other forum members or their friends, encounter this lady on her travels and she requires assistance with her beloved pets, then help is at hand. We explained how boaters have this special affinity with each other and that we now class her as part of that group of people.

Being quite shy and retiring in nature, she looked surprised at all of the interest shown in her little travelling family.

Thanks again,

Mike