Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Lovely boat, if it had a historic water-cooled engine (National / RN) to supply hot water instead of the Rinnai it would be my perfect boat. Could dump the toilet and put in a cassette anytime!

Yes a mighty fine boat, but as with any boat one just takes it as it is, complete with whatever shortcomings it has from one's own point of view.

For me this boat would have to be a day boat, not having a gas oven! I can barely boil an egg without using the oven. 

Does look pretty good, but I don't care for the photo in the Norton Canes ad, taken from the front of the engine hole, looking back. Look at the knee there. It looks blown to me, with rust pushing it off the side and it looks as though it's been cut off halfway up and not replaced after re-footing. For that money, it should be damn near perfect and it makes me wonder what the rest of the knees are like, all hidden away behind the linings.

Mind you, with all the he-man weights lying around it, I wouldn't argue!

Seems to me that if a visibly very exposed knee doesn't get treated to some remedial work, then, as I said before, I'd not care to think what the ones covered up are like. Why a knee that's in full view wasn't de-riveted, cleaned off, the rot cut out and metal renewed is the question I might ask 

And I've owned:

Canis.

Barrow.

Vulcan.

Lynx. (GUCCC)

Bilster.

Sutton.

Bath.

Bakewell.

Marcellus.

Amsterdam.

So, I do speak from bitter and costly experience with the old girls.

18 hours ago, johnthebridge said:

Does look pretty good, but I don't care for the photo in the Norton Canes ad, taken from the front of the engine hole, looking back. Look at the knee there. It looks blown to me, with rust pushing it off the side and it looks as though it's been cut off halfway up and not replaced after re-footing. For that money, it should be damn near perfect and it makes me wonder what the rest of the knees are like, all hidden away behind the linings.

Mind you, with all the he-man weights lying around it, I wouldn't argue!

now says sale agreed on website

52 minutes ago, johnthebridge said:

Seems to me that if a visibly very exposed knee doesn't get treated to some remedial work, then, as I said before, I'd not care to think what the ones covered up are like. Why a knee that's in full view wasn't de-riveted, cleaned off, the rot cut out and metal renewed is the question I might ask 

And I've owned:

Canis.

Barrow.

Vulcan.

Lynx. (GUCCC)

Bilster.

Sutton.

Bath.

Bakewell.

Marcellus.

Amsterdam.

So, I do speak from bitter and costly experience with the old girls.

Not questioning your experience in anyway. Having had 5 old boats and the current one with no doubt just such issues,  ( don’t look too close) they all were  ( are) far from perfect.

My point was simply that perfection comes at a vastly higher price than 67000! and so we reach compromises.

67000 will almost buy some quite unpleasant modern things with a multitude of issues, waiting to be uncovered

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Who built welded steel open top grain barges, going by the advert...

Exactly. 

I'm no expert but I do have a keen interest in the pleasure boats of the mid 60s to mid 80s and this looks like a boat built by the West Riding boat company.. 

They have very distinctive stem posts

13 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Exactly. 

I'm no expert but I do have a keen interest in the pleasure boats of the mid 60s to mid 80s and this looks like a boat built by the West Riding boat company.. 

They have very distinctive stem posts

Yes I was thinking the stem post was a strange design, but one I've seen before. The comment about it being a shallow V hull made me wonder if it was some sort of Springer but the stem post rather ruled that out....

But it looks a very fine example of a leisure boat from that era!