Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Quite a nice boat that is ;)

It is indeed, although I'm not sure it is £58,000 nice.

What intrigues me is that if the latest survey is from 2009, is it actually possible to get full comprehensive cover based on a 14 year old survey.  The best I have managed to find is where the survey is no more than 10 years old.

5 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It is indeed, although I'm not sure it is £58,000 nice.

My thoughts exactly. And with no shower, cooker, fridge, running water etc, one wonders who on earth might buy such a boat! ;););) 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

..................... And with no shower, cooker, fridge, running water etc, one wonders who on earth might buy such a boat! ;););) 

I couldn't possibly comment!

I remember her from the pre 80s and Max.

Good to see her around and still in the same format.

The price is silly for such a limited market, but at least it'll keep her out of the reach of those that don't appreciate her.

Sadly mine too.

Very nice boat, but very basic for £58,000. I know boat prices are strong at the moment, but that's about the price you'd expect to pay for something with a bit of living space, galley etc.

Wasn't Tycho for sale for a very long time at about £45k???

Nevertheless, Vesta has been moored in Braunston for many years (I think) a no doubt had many admirers during that time. If someone has got that money in the bank to burn I could see someone taking their opportunity. 

35 minutes ago, junior said:

Wasn't Tycho for sale for a very long time at about £45k???

At a variety of prices at different times I think.

I was speaking yesterday with someone who tried to strike a deal on it, and says they ended up only £3K away from what the seller was prepared to go to.

Having failed to buy it, (and subsequently bought a full length boat), he says Tycho eventually changed hands at less than he would have paid.

It's a strange old world buying and selling "historics".

Thats the one at Keksys on the Lee/Stort. 

Crazy propeller on this boat ! 

5936437.jpg

An interesting boat indeed. 

It would be interesting to see the back cabin. Is it original? That would be pretty cool. 

Turbo Perkins 4107 sounds a bit strange..

The ad says the interior has been stripped but hull survey from 2021 was positive. 

The engine and that mad max propeller seem a bit of an issue to me. Other than that potentially a very nice boat and I think it even has an original gucci exhaust funnel with it which is a slightly rare item. 

Looking at the back cabin conversion the gunnels have been pulled up a bit it was not all that well executed. 

I don't know this boat but would be getting out some very large dial calipers and checking how wide it is a lot. 

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Admiral said:

Large Woolwich for sale 

bognor

That's one hell of a crazy advert.

It seems to be suggesting that working boats had only one of two possible outcomes - either they were repossessed  and taken to the Wendover arm prior to disposal, or they were amongst those scuttled by BW in Harefield flash.

Apparently, also this was the one Town class boat not built from scratch with a steel bottom....

When built, Bognor had an elm bottom that has been replaced with a mild steel base plate

I suspect that the £35K price, whilst it sounds low, is far from a bargain.

It's spray foam insulated cabin sides and roof. But that must be one hell of a holding tank for pump out under the raised floor . . .

More stripping out to do, but that prop - delicious! Perkins engines are OK, though a three pot would be sufficient. Gearbox/reduction? Bow thruster?

Like the back cabin. Lot of work and money, and no boat will ever recoup what is spent on it. Nothing will nowadays.

Nice to see a seventy footer still seventy foot, with a decent cabin on it. At 35K - where's the argument?

• Happy 1

22 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

It's spray foam insulated cabin sides and roof. But that must be one hell of a holding tank for pump out under the raised floor . . .

More stripping out to do, but that prop - delicious! Perkins engines are OK, though a three pot would be sufficient. Gearbox/reduction? Bow thruster?

Like the back cabin. Lot of work and money, and no boat will ever recoup what is spent on it. Nothing will nowadays.

Nice to see a seventy footer still seventy foot, with a decent cabin on it. At 35K - where's the argument?

Perkins are good engines (I have a P4 in one of the boats) it is just odd it says it is a turbo. 

Did they make a turbocharged 4107? I wonder if it is a DIY conversion. Seems odd. 

A P3 would be nicer. 

Assuming that it doesn't need much structural work (there's mention of a positive survey) and they would be up for a deal and it could be got a bit cheaper, if you wanted to de-convert it and chop that cabin off, would it actually be that much of a money pit? Especially if you could do some of the work yourself. 

That said, as conversions go, that cabin looks to have nice aesthetics from the outside. 

Some DIY skills and an angle grinder would take that top off. Stip the guts out of it, paint the inside of the hold and add some new wooden gunnels, fit a cabin stove and off you go. 

If you were handy with the spanners, you could probably put an air cooled lister 2-pot and gearbox in for a couple of grand. 

Hmmm....

Edited by junior

10 minutes ago, junior said:

Stip the guts out of it, paint the inside of the hold and add some new wooden gunnels, fit a cabin stove and off you go.

Even "fit a new cabin range" is a bit of a challenge at the moment.  I'm not aware of anybody supplying new ones suitable for use in the back cabin of a motor, and spares seem very difficult for a used one.

13 minutes ago, junior said:

If you were handy with the spanners, you could probably put an air cooled lister 2-pot and gearbox in for a couple of grand.

That sounds a bit optimistic.  I've not seen evidence of Lister H series engines in good order for as little money as that, and you are definitely going to need a new prop, which don't come cheaply in sizes suitable for those Listers

It would be interesting to know who surveyed it. 

I think for a boat like that you would want someone with quite in-depth knowledge not just someone with a thickness meter and a computer for writing reports.

22 minutes ago, junior said:

Assuming that it doesn't need much structural work (there's mention of a positive survey) and they would be up for a deal and it could be got a bit cheaper, if you wanted to de-convert it and chop that cabin off, would it actually be that much of a money pit? Especially if you could do some of the work yourself. 

That said, as conversions go, that cabin looks to have nice aesthetics from the outside. 

Some DIY skills and an angle grinder would take that top off. Stip the guts out of it, paint the inside of the hold and add some new wooden gunnels, fit a cabin stove and off you go. 

Hmmm....

there is PD2 for sale on the forum that you could put in it

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It would be interesting to know who surveyed it. 

I think for a boat like that you would want someone with quite in-depth knowledge not just someone with a thickness meter and a computer for writing reports.

If it was the surveyor who thought an original elm bottom had been replaced in steel, then I wouldn't place much credence in his report!

• Greenie 2