Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Presumably, (though I'm no expert!), it's not something you would normally expect to find on a Fellows Morton & Clayton boat in such a livery.

What you have depicted are Grand Union boats, where I guess you would generally expect it, (as you would on a BW liveried boat).

These remarks make less sense now you have changed one of the pictures in your post - I knew I should have included them in the quote!

(But here doesn't seem to be any blue on any of the mam's heads in the picture you have substituted ether, so I'm a bit confused!)

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

These remarks make less sense now you have changed one of the pictures in your post - I knew I should have included them in the quote!

(But here doesn't seem to be any blue on any of the mam's heads in the picture you have substituted ether, so I'm a bit confused!)

There is blue on the rams head and mop of Sculptor. I did originally include two ex GU boats but I thought I'd better check FMC boats, as the model of Eagle depicts an FMC boat. FMC boats appear to have a different colour scheme for the rams head. i.e. red white and green. It is something, differing colour schemes for the rams heads, I had never really thought about.  Must go and peruse "Colours of the Cut."

I also altered the wording as well.

Edited by Ray T

On 1/16/2018 at 16:12, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given the size of it I think the price is very reasonable. especially compared to other similar sized RC boats on ebay.

A couple of odd things though. I had to click through three links saying the boat had been re-listed before getting to the current listing, and the ebay site selling it is ebay.ca. Anyone know which country that is? I wonder why it is not being sold on ebay.co.uk. All looks a bit fishy to me.

And I can't see on the listing what the hull is made from. Is it steel or wood?

Link is Canada that's because where I am located. I think that ebay adjusted the geo location to where I was when on ebay! Sorry to cause problems :-)

31 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

ASTON - LARGE WOOLWICH BUTTY 

Seems a lot of money and placed in the strangest of eBay categories Here

Price has risen by £5k I see.

Curiously I was only reading the ad in the HNBC mag 2017/3 for ASTON earlier this afternoon. Asking price then was £63k ono. 

5 minutes ago, BWM said:

A huge amount of money for a boat that was overplated 16 or more years ago, and some fairly suspect woodwork on gunwhale cants and around the hatches.

A good example perhaps of the maxim "paint sells".

A really nice paint job always makes something look more attractive and saleable regardless of the underlying soundness.

s-l1600.jpg

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

The two pictures I would expect to see are of the engine and the back cabin.

I see the rudder has a hydraulic motor and propeller in a similar format to that of your boat HAMPTON, so probably not a cheap or penny-pinching motorisation. Not sure a Perkins engine is going to be especially photogenic but like you, I'd still like to see it.

No back cabin photo is unforgivable though, I agree!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Gramar, spelling and punctuation.

I knew the chap who added the hydraulic drive.  He copied Hampton's.  I can't remember whether it was an ARS Anglian hydraulic unit -  another detail I would want to know if I were a prospective buyer.

There are some niggling, but easily remedied details that, in my opinion, spoil the boat for a ha'pworth of tar e.g. the weedy tunnel hook, the skinny cants, the awkward angle of the hydraulic return pipe etc.

9 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

I knew the chap who added the hydraulic drive.  He copied Hampton's.  I can't remember whether it was an ARS Anglian hydraulic unit -  another detail I would want to know if I were a prospective buyer.

There are some niggling, but easily remedied details that, in my opinion, spoil the boat for a ha'pworth of tar e.g. the weedy tunnel hook, the skinny cants, the awkward angle of the hydraulic return pipe etc.

I agree that those few improvements would definitely make a difference, but 16+ year old overplating is a potential time bomb.

On 1/18/2018 at 20:31, Ray T said:

There is blue on the rams head and mop of Sculptor. I did originally include two ex GU boats but I thought I'd better check FMC boats, as the model of Eagle depicts an FMC boat. FMC boats appear to have a different colour scheme for the rams head. i.e. red white and green. It is something, differing colour schemes for the rams heads, I had never really thought about.  Must go and peruse "Colours of the Cut."

I also altered the wording as well.

A good few of the green/red colour scheme "joshers" before nationalization had barbers pole colours on swan neck inc extension tiller bar & mop handle depended on the painting skill of the steerer

15 minutes ago, Cloudinspector said:

16k for a paint job not a bad mark up judging by the photos the blocks still cracked and hull still spread. This is what we were told when we looked at her 3 years ago. Don’t get me wrong I’d buy her tomorrow if she was 35k and I had it going spare my two fave things a Brian Duval boat made from an old hull. 

6 minutes ago, djgoode1980 said:

16k for a paint job not a bad mark up judging by the photos the blocks still cracked and hull still spread. This is what we were told when we looked at her 3 years ago. Don’t get me wrong I’d buy her tomorrow if she was 35k and I had it going spare my two fave things a Brian Duval boat made from an old hull. 

its had a lot more than just a paint job at Clifton unless you know better.

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

its had a lot more than just a paint job at Clifton unless you know better.

Repeats to self: I do not want Emerald...I do not want Emerald...I first knew this boat when she was moored at West End in March (she was fitted out by Fox's, who know what they're doing), viewed her when she was for sale back then (about 9 years ago), asked about her again when the owners of Clifton Cruisers were selling her, but she was already under offer. We were told that remedial work had been carried out on the engine, which had been prone to overheating, but I don't know what that entailed.

I thought she was gorgeous then and still do, but a crack in the engine block suggests possible large problems ahead, at least to my non-technical mind, so I shan't be in the market, because I do not want Emerald...I do not want Emerald...

She does seem to come up for sale with suspicious frequency.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Repeats to self: I do not want Emerald...I do not want Emerald...I first knew this boat when she was moored at West End in March (she was fitted out by Fox's, who know what they're doing), viewed her when she was for sale back then (about 9 years ago), asked about her again when the owners of Clifton Cruisers were selling her, but she was already under offer. We were told that remedial work had been carried out on the engine, which had been prone to overheating, but I don't know what that entailed.

I thought she was gorgeous then and still do, but a crack in the engine block suggests possible large problems ahead, at least to my non-technical mind, so I shan't be in the market, because I do not want Emerald...I do not want Emerald...

I helped with the replacement steel bottom from wood & replacement of the bottom wood  strakes in steel on Langley Mill Dock in 1988 while in the ownership of Colin Pailin. I understand the engine has been moved to a different position since then

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Probably because of the troublesome crack in the engine block...

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I too kicked myself for failing to buy the EMERALD No 1 having got there just after someone else did the deal to buy when she was for sale at Whilton about ten years ago. But in a previous thread here about this boat someone pointed out the counter stern was welded on all crooked making the boat look hogged, like a tired old wooden narrow boat. They were right too, she looks all wrong when you look with a critical eye, and she is no longer on my short wishlist of boats to own.  

You can see the 'hogging' effect in this photo a little. It looks much worse in real life. Possibly worse from the other side too.

553864_1.jpg?1516871794