Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

I helped with the replacement steel bottom from wood & replacement of the bottom wood  strakes in steel on Langley Mill Dock in 1988 while in the ownership of Colin Pailin. I understand the engine has been moved to a different position since then

From memory, it's full astern now, as the sleeping accommodation is under the tug deck (with the fake forecabin as its clerestory roof).

).

Sorry about that, XW and others: the "submit" button didn't work, so I pressed it several times and, lo! and behold, the post then appeared several times.

Edited by Athy
repetition

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I too kicked myself for failing to buy the EMERALD No 1 having got there just after someone else did the deal to buy when she was for sale at Whilton about ten years ago.

553864_1.jpg?1516871794

I remember seeing her advertised at Whilton and I could almost have wept at the ramshackle state she was in. Thankfully, someone (or someones) has/have cared for her better since then.

That engine would certainly worry me - all is clearly not well there.

Normally I'm a fan of Bantock conversions, but I'm not taken with the appearance of this particular one. In my opinion that rather odd "bow" cabin, (that really isn't at the bow!), does it few favours, and the main cabin looks overly large.  No picture adequately shows the boat from behind, but it looks to be set lower in the water than seems ideal to me, helping amplify its unbalanced appearance.

I've never been a fan of bow cabins that aren't on the bow either. (Or potters cabins as some call them??)

The only boat I'd say carries it off well is Amsterdam which I haven't seen for years. Emerald does look top heavy at the stern, almost like a Stowe Hill tug with their high cabin sides and rib tickling tillers.

15 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

It sounds to me like sentimentality needs to put into perspective with this engine, and get rid of it - but the seller may not want to hear this :captain:

I haven't seen it, I would be surprised if it wasn't repairable one way or another

Richard

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

I haven't seen it, I would be surprised if it wasn't repairable one way or another

Richard

Yes but......

I'd think twice about showing any interest in what is after all less than 50 ft of BCN day boat priced at £52K even if it didn't need some major repair to the motor.

Also it has been suggested it may well be one of those converted day boats  that actually has a beam well over 7 feet.  If true, that also goes heavily against it, IMO.

On the face of it this boat seems to be priced highly "optimistically".

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

On the face of it this boat seems to be priced highly "optimistically".

But you have to remember the 33% of the initial asking price rule, which brings it down to about £35k. Having said that emotion can get in the way and a higher percentage paid - as most of us already know !!!!!

12 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

But you have to remember the 33% of the initial asking price rule, which brings it down to about £35k.

Well, as I have said before, I have not been able to secure huge reductions when buying historic boats.

Good luck to those who do manage it, but I haven't so far!

13 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Well, as I have said before, I have not been able to secure huge reductions when buying historic boats.

Good luck to those who do manage it, but I haven't so far!

And neither have I, but as said in post 5460 emotion might have got in the way :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

55 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

And neither have I, but as said in post 5460 emotion might have got in the way :captain:

In the absence of any announcement I have yet noticed, you are still leaving us guessing, Pete!

On 13/08/2016 at 12:48, IanM said:

Widgeon is at Braunston having what looks like a cabin extension added.

Just found this on YouTube................. such a shame in my opinion, but then I have always said that if an owner has bought the boat it is up to them what they do with it.

On balance I am sure I know of one other G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boat that will be loosing its cabin conversion sometime this year :captain:

17 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Just found this on YouTube................. such a shame in my opinion, but then I have always said that if an owner has bought the boat it is up to them what they do with it.

On balance I am sure I know of one other G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boat that will be loosing its cabin conversion sometime this year :captain:

http://www.widgeontheatreboat.com/

Check out the unusual "cloths"! Not entirely sympathetic to the classic lines. 

56 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

It's the latest thing for ex working boats. Give it a few years and maybe conversions will be back in fashion

Or perhaps shortening them to save money, or fitting electric motors - who knows

Richard

10 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Just found this on YouTube................. such a shame in my opinion, but then I have always said that if an owner has bought the boat it is up to them what they do with it

As you say, it's an owners prerogative, and, anyway, they are usually fairly removable if someone else wants to at a later date.

We took the view we would be uncomfortable adding a conversion to a boat that didn't have one, but were happy to give a home to one that did.  We would probably ended up with a converted boat faster had we decided not to place that constraint on ourselves.

The situation with Thaxted / Widgeon is that it has, I believe never been converted, other than a small "cave" in the hold for the previous owners son, and, I'm told they had swapped to one that was to try to avoid such an outcome.

Still you can't hang on to them for ever, and I accept that one day we may have to look at "Sickle" with a cabin on, (probably not that serious), or lengthened, (which I personally feel would be a huge shame).

I don't imagine we are about to be told which boat will imminently lose its conversion, though, but I'm assuming we are talking about more than stripping off a few "blue tops"? :P

18 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

Looking at the repairs Tom C has done to the knackered heads on the Kelvin F4 thread I'd be speaking to him about any possible repairs.

Dan

10 hours ago, RLWP said:

It's the latest thing for ex working boats. Give it a few years and maybe conversions will be back in fashion

Or perhaps shortening them to save money, or fitting electric motors - who knows

Richard

Recent examples have gone the other way.

Sextans, (that had already had 10 feet of Thea added), now has a further (new) extension.

Capricorn got lengthened a year or two back, albeit with bits of itself that had remained stored since it had been shortened.

Eneladus is a lot longer now than it had been in its days as a BW hire cuiser, and beyond.

Boats like Hare also contain much replacement steel, (though are not, of course, such recent relengthenings).

The most obvious examples of recent "shortenings" are of a single buttys becoming two motors, although a few years back the commentary at Alvecote accused me of attempting to shorten Sickle just by my own efforts!

10 hours ago, RLWP said:

Richard

I have 5 electric motors does this me i get my licence free?

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Recent examples have gone the other way.

Yes, I know. The fashion in old boats at the moment is recreating them as they were when working. What the future is for long boats with exposed empty holds is is anybodies guess

Richard