Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Nice pictures of a partly refitted interior, but not a shred of information about hull condition now, or what work has been carried out to stop Slough being a serial sinker.

Someone will think they have a bargain, but it would be nice to know if it is vaguely sound now, or not!

Cycled past last year and this looks better now.

If you could sort out the gunnel she would be a better project but unfortunately I think from memory that conversion is straight on the original angle and looks so wrong. Remember bwb having her in London in the 80s

So top off

New bottom

New engine

New back cabin

Refit back cabin.

Rebuild gunnel and side

Or slap in an engine cruise to London and pray you don't sink

She deserves first option.

Someone's nicked the original liner style chimney too.

According to a chap to whom I was talking last year at Alvecote, and whose boat had such a chimney, they were very heavy, so the GU crews didn't like them and would "accidentally" lose them overboard, hence their scarcity nowadays.

Its a lovely boat well worth repeating that it's for sale :)

I would love to convert it to a houseboat but its too wide for my mooring and it would be nice if someone could use it in unconverted state - maybe a fuel boat? Or a lavender boat?

Theres a very definite need for fuel supplies on the L&L, and beyond North East wards.

Someone could make a living I'm sure. (Reasonably sure)

According to a chap to whom I was talking last year at Alvecote, and whose boat had such a chimney, they were very heavy, so the GU crews didn't like them and would "accidentally" lose them overboard, hence their scarcity nowadays.

It was still there when lived on at Sawley 3 years ago.

I think I had one out with the magnet once but not knowing what it was it went back in. I can't remember where but itt would have been GU south somewhere .

Will keep an eye out in future as its probably a collectors item :)

Someone's nicked the original liner style chimney too.

A different beast altogether.

You were probably chatting with "Blossom" on "Darley", who often runs with an original style GUCCCo funnel like many of the boat's started out with.

The object to which I think Matty refers is a much bigger thing altogether, and is not "original", being I think similar to the massive funnels carried in the boats converted to London Warerbuses. I think these actually held the Calor gas, (giving some idea of their size, but on Slough I don't know if that were the case, or it was a purey "decorative" adornment.

This is "Slough in June 2012. It wasn't there then.

I think the tide line on the hull tells a story.

IMG_6793.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

Slough:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/project-narrow-boat-/262585505382?hash=item3d2350d666:g:IMwAAOSwnQhXojPf

s-l1600.jpg

Still has the dropped gunwale which it had in its days as BW's Inspection Launch. But the stern lloks to be new.

The refitting of the counter (in Harland & Wolff style) was carried out as a part of its conversion to an inspection boat in the early 1970's captain.gif

The refitting of the counter (in Harland & Wolff style) was carried out as a part of its conversion to an inspection boat in the early 1970's captain.gif

Makes sense. I can't see anything structural about Slough that is different to when she sank in Bedworth

Richard

A different beast altogether.

You were probably chatting with "Blossom" on "Darley", who often runs with an original style GUCCCo funnel like many of the boat's started out with.

The object to which I think Matty refers is a much bigger thing altogether, and is not "original", being I think similar to the massive funnels carried in the boats converted to London Warerbuses. I think these actually held the Calor gas, (giving some idea of their size, but on Slough I don't know if that were the case, or it was a purey "decorative" adornment.

This is "Slough in June 2012. It wasn't there then.

I think the tide line on the hull tells a story.

This:

and this:

I cant find Slough on the GUCCC fleet list. Did she used to be called Deimos?

So now it might get confusing:

SLOUGH is a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. large Northwich motor, delivered 29 October 1936 and allocated fleet number 170. SLOUGH has always kept its original name and remained full length. This is the SLOUGH mentioned and photographed above by Mr Mack.

DEIMOS is a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. small Woolwich motor, delivered 20 December 1935 and allocated fleet number 33. DEIMOS has had a chequered history as a canal maintenance boat, starting in 1948 where it kept its original name and gained the number B5. Like all maintenance boats based at Gloucester DIEMOS lost its original name and in October 1966 became the 30' dumb boat B33. In about June 1972 B33 became a powered tug, and a few years later was transferred to the Grand Union Canal where it was converted to a push tug - possibly at Bulls Bridge. It was at this time, or shortly afterwards, that B33 became SLOUGH - and although it does not look like it this boat retains both of its original ends.

Unfortunately when I inspected British Waterways Board maintenance boat records at Marsworth they had got the two SLOUGH's completely mixed together, some of which could easily be separated and some not.

To confuse things further British Waterways Board, Gloucester renamed their maintenance boats in the 1970's using the names they had previously carried. Unfortunately they do not appear to have kept a record of which name belonged to which boat and so re-allocated them randomly. This is how the full length middle Northwich motor ZODIAC carried the name plate DEIMOS for several years captain.gif

edit = tidy things up.

Edited by pete harrison

SLOUGH is a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. large Northwich motor, delivered 29 October 1936 and allocated fleet number 170. SLOUGH has always kept its original name and remained full length. This is the SLOUGH mentioned and photographed above by Mr Mack.

Not photographed by me. I just linked to 2 photos on the ebay ad.

I like the n+1 equation. I have 7 boats. How can I use them all at the same time rolleyes.gifideal number of boats is therefore two. One mothership and one tender. I seem to have problems with having too many tenders laugh.png

Which brings us back to these:

Sorry gone smiley_offtopic.gif .

Edited by Ray T