Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Eqquis (sp?), which as featured in this thread multiple times, must have finally sold. Recently as it was on brokerage at Iver, but I've just spotted it in Market Drayton. 20160505_135347_zps6imfnus1.jpg

I first saw this boat at King's Cross in London a few years ago and admired it's lines then. I believe the sales bumph said something along the lines that it was thought to be the oldest metal hull in existence.

I'm reliably informed that Equus will be attending the Burscough heritage weekend in celebration of the 200th anniversary of the Leeds Liverpool.

it would be nice to have some more historic boats around these parts.

Well it looked and sounded great. Although not sure what engine it had it was quiet. I have a couple of photos which I'll upload when back on land. Good luck she's a very nice old tub.

Edited by mark99

Probaby but it was built at FMC Uxbridge yArd. :)

I'm no expert but I did happen to inquire who built it.

Eta Towy has the Thos Clayton identifying signwriting. I should have stated FMC Ux bridge built Towy of course. Well it was a long hot say of boating.

Edited by mark99

No it is not a 'river', the giveaway being that PUMPKIN is riveted.

PUMPKIN was formally a Thames Conservancy maintenance boat, named A89 and reputedly built by the Steel Barrel Company, Uxbridge in 1923.

PUMPKIN featured in a News report in September 2013 when it was rescued by the R.N.L.I. Hunstanton Lifeboat whilst adrift in the Wash, and was subsequently tows into the river Witham by the Boston Pilot Launch. You can't beat a bit of history, even if it is a bit iffy captain.gif

Looks like a really nice boat :)

I guess considerable hull work may be required.

Gawd

depends on what you call a good mooring!

Personally I like to see boats going past rather than looking out and seeing another boat within spitting distance of my windows :rolleyes:

My house isnt worth that kind of money so how the hell is some metal and a garden with a big pond shared by your nabours a good deal

Worth noting that houses in this locality are 2 million pounds plus

Tim

Worth noting that houses in this locality are 2 million pounds plus

Tim

I'd say the boat is worth about £50k (being generous), which means they are valuing the mooring at £150k premium for transfer of the lease.

This could represent anything from completely brilliant value for money to grossly overpriced, depending on the exact terms of the lease. The advert says bugger all about it beyond "There are fully transferable rights of mooring that go with this mooring which makes it a sound investment for the future", so I'm inclined to suspect the terms are not favourable.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Bit of nostalgia for me as I used to work at the Zoo. The mooring is secluded and cosy, in a select part of central London. You can hear the Lions roaring, and Hoolock Gibbons calling in the evenings. Quite a magical place. Nice boat too - all depends on what you value.

I thought it was suggested that Equus was a bit wide. If she has reached Market Drayton then can't be too bad. If it were mine I would be tempted to try Hurleston if they are passing anyway.

It's a nice boat !

I think you might be right. They have just got stuck in Chamondeston lock so they'll not be going that way to the L&L.

Hmmmm I'm faintly pleased I didn't buy it then...

I looked over the EQUUS twice and although the interior was badly worn out and tired it is a truly charming boat.

I liked it so much I made a low offer to purchase it 'as is' with no survey, as I thought it would probably have middle age spread and might need some expensive pulling in. If this was the case then ultimately the clumsy modern stern could be chopped off at the same time and a suitably shaped back end fashioned and the boat lengthened to add a back cabin.

They turned my offer down flat saying "everybody offers that!"...

Still vaguely wish I'd bought it...

(Edit to add missing word.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Gawd

depends on what you call a good mooring!

Personally I like to see boats going past rather than looking out and seeing another boat within spitting distance of my windows rolleyes.gif

FYI - Neighbors don't take kindly to being spit on...just saying wink.png

Well it looked and sounded great. Although not sure what engine it had it was quiet. I have a couple of photos which I'll upload when back on land. Good luck she's a very nice old tub.

20160506_143409_zps6abln5x9.jpg

20160506_143150_zps44nmdjk1.jpg

• Greenie 1

Looks wonderful she steers even better i will hopefully have an answer by tonight or tomorrow if my wife will let me get her fingers are all xed. Shame about the back cabin being bare as in nothing in it except a few wood boxes for seats.

I think you might be right. They have just got stuck in Chamondeston lock so they'll not be going that way to the L&L.

I went past it earlier and it was tied up on lock landing, when I came back past 5 hrs later was slightly further back and grinder was out cutting rubbing strakes off.

Edited by Johnboy770