Dogs

gaz_88

Featured Posts

We give our Millie swimming lessons at a canine swimming pool, so have no worries if she falls in the cut.

millieswimming009.jpg

We originally did this as she was suffering from colitis when we got her. To help deal with the colitis our vet pet her on steroids for a year. This caused her to balloon to 10kgs.

At this weight she was reluctant to walk. Swimming gave her the exercise she needed. She has been off the steroids for a couple of years and now weighs 7.5kg.

An added bonus we have is that the swimming has cured Millie's "Legg–Calvé–Perthes" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legg%E2%80%93Calv%C3%A9%E2%80%93Perthes_syndrome )

This is a complaint common to JRT's

We still take her swimming once a fortnight.

Love it! I didn't know they did canine swimming pools! I'll have to look into that one for our Millie, she does tend to put on weight in the winter when we're not cruising so much

Going by the criteria on this thread we're doing it all wrong! Bassets are heavy, need a lot of exercise, can't swim very well, shed hair and can't jump to save their lives.

I'm still not swapping :)

attackbassets.jpg

Edited by Morat

A lurcher.

Doesn't need too much exercise, curl up very small, can be trained to catch food...oh and the poo is medium size.

I can heartily recommend this lovely young lady who we are fostering and is looking for a permanent home...

DSCF0004_zps1897c940.jpg

Lurchers and pure breed greyhounds are great. As you say they don't need much exercise which is a surprise to some and make great and gentle house pets. My mother-in-law and our next door neighbours have ex-racing greyhounds. They are both lovely dogs and great company in my mother-in-laws case good company and very sweet. She can handle her and she is 80.

We've had rough collies and Jack Russells. The one Jack Russell in particular absolutely loved boating, she took to it like a..... errrr...... dog to errrr...... boating!

She seemed to go through a period of what can only be described as depression when we got back home from boating trips. She was so much fun though, loved swimming, lived in a locker :huh: couldn't get enough of the boating life........

Sorry no pictures, we had her in the pre digital days.......

Lottie.jpg

This is our old lady, Lottie, last year...a couple of months older than NB Earnest, the best boating dog we ever had.

She has now been retired from active service (my daughter now has her) as Mrs TNC has now got a daft new male whippet (Piper!) to complement her welfare greyhound bitch (Bonita, AKA Bonnie).

Piper.jpg

Piper

Bonnie1.jpg

Bonnie

I had no idea that many Staffies cannot swim. I used to have one years ago who was a bugger for jumping into any water he could and swam well ( well for something the shape of a Staffie that is!)

My daughter has 2 staffies who both swim and enjoy water but if they go out in their sailing boat they do put life jackets on them.

I know her previous Staffie could also swim. I found that out one day when she was in my care and she tried to turn around when half way across a lock on the Wolvehampton 21...

Staffies do make a big splash in a deep empty lock!

Afternoon all.

Just looking for some advice on what dogs are best to have on board a narrowboat.

Cheers

Gaz

Hi Gaz - you can have my 12 month old terrorist Scooter - just destroyed the court papers I have spent forever getting together for tomorrow. He's a cockerpoo but nearly all cocker, very affectionate, friendly, always up for a game, never complains, beautiful animal, doesn't snore (unlike Moss and SWMBO) always comes back, loves long walks looks at you adoringly. Doing that now. Sorry I've changed my mind but if you can get a proper Cockerpoo (we have another one) they are perfect for a narrow boat.

Tony

• 1 year later...

Afternoon all.

Just looking for some advice on what dogs are best to have on board a narrowboat.

Cheers

Gaz

As you can see, everyone has their own favourites but the best advice is

Any dog you fancy, just as long as it's trained on a leash when in public and you clean up after it especially on the canal side.

Only thing I will add is be careful where you buy from, STEER CLEAR of any puppy farms, know where you are buying from and see parents if getting puppy. Ask yourself what YOU can offer the dog, not what it can offer you.