Dogs

gaz_88

Featured Posts

I don't think it matters, go with your own preferences. Some people have small dogs and some larger. The people that live (or used to) at the top of the Ashby had 3 Alsatians on their 70ft boat.

Personally I like Terrier breeds mainly and so we have a West Highland at the moment previously we had a terrier mixed breed and many people have Jack Russells.

Afternoon all.

Just looking for some advice on what dogs are best to have on board a narrowboat.

Cheers

Gaz

You will get a lot of conflicting advice on this - but after having a large retriever before we had boat we settled on a JRT, small and compact (and full of character and energy) which suits us in the boat and on the outside of the boat while cruising.

All that said people manage perfectly well with larger breeds (what some people call 'proper' dogs) but we would't fancy it within the confines of a boat.

You will get a lot of conflicting advice on this - but after having a large retriever before we had boat we settled on a JRT, small and compact (and full of character and energy) which suits us in the boat and on the outside of the boat while cruising.

All that said people manage perfectly well with larger breeds (what some people call 'proper' dogs) but we would't fancy it within the confines of a boat.

You need a " Proper dog " :lol: We have until recently had big dogs but recently bought our smallest dog ever having always said I couldnt have a small dog !! She is a Fox red Labrador rescue about two years old and a total sweetheart!!

Tim

Any dog you fancy, just as long as it's trained on a leash when in public and you clean up after it especially on the canal side.

Totally agree, having got fed up cleaning up after the black dog in the boat behind me all week, I returned the 'present' it left in a bag on the owners boat!Unfortunately people like him give all us dog owners a bad name :angry:

Black labs. very good watch dog, great loyal companion and there well just bloody lovely dogs.

Darren

Completely agree, Shannon (pictured in avatar) loved the boat, sadly gone now. She also loved swimming in the canal :)

Now got two golden lab cross, both rescue and both very loyal dogs.

Waterdog

If we are going to get diverted into yet another dog shit discussion it's worth remembering small dogs = small poos and are a lot easier and more pleasant to clean up after.

Our retriever used to compete with a donkey on poo size...

If we are going to get diverted into yet another dog shit discussion it's worth remembering small dogs = small poos and are a lot easier and more pleasant to clean up after.

Funny you should say that. Our labrador which in my opinion is a small dog Dumps for England.......her piles are twice as big as our Bernes mountain dog cross !!

Tim

Due to horse meat in he dog food I suspect :wacko:

Whippet lurcher for me although i do not have one at the moment , they are smart, small enough for boat , can jump on and off and once they have had a short burst of exercise will be happy to lay around on the boat, they still poo though....

There is no one particular type of dog you should or should not get, but consider if the type of dog that you are thinking of can get on and off the boat easily, etc.

Also, across some breeds and types of dogs, a significant number of them cannot swim; The Bulldog particularly will sink like a stone, most boxer dogs cannot swim, also Staffys, pugs, and more or less anything that is brachycephalic or has a large, heavy head. You will have to be extra careful of them falling in if you're going to keep that kind of dog on a boat!

Edited by Starcoaster

Having had a long haired cocker spaniel who loved jumping in the cut at every opportunity, and now having a black lab, I'd say...

Go for one with short hair.

For a start the lab doesn't need trimming every few months.

Whippet lurcher for me although i do not have one at the moment , they are smart, small enough for boat , can jump on and off and once they have had a short burst of exercise will be happy to lay around on the boat, they still poo though....

We've got one on board and she is ace. A bit big for sharing our bed though :-) She gets two long runs each day and snoozes the rest of the time apart from when she wants to play with us. I'm surprised how well 'fetch' can work in a narrowboat!

I've always loved 'proper' dogs, if it can't give you a fair fight it ain't proper! But now we have dog on board i can see why smaller breeds would be favourable.

Any breed could just about work but possibly not a monster St Bernard or an escapee Husky...

If you are not drawn to a particular breed, go for a small non-hairshedding lazy light shorthaired breed, then your boat won't be covered in hair, dog can be picked up to get over the gangplank, small enough to pull out of the cut without getting a hernia, won't need long walks on a wet day, and won't need a lot of drying after getting wet/ falling in.

I'm still looking for one....................

There is no one particular type of dog you should or should not get, but consider if the type of dog that you are thinking of can get on and off the boat easily, etc.

Also, across some breeds and types of dogs, a significant number of them cannot swim; The Bulldog particularly will sink like a stone, most boxer dogs cannot swim, also Staffys, pugs, and more or less anything that is brachycephalic or has a large, heavy head. You will have to be extra careful of them falling in if you're going to keep that kind of dog on a boat!

Hi star

That's intrugueing as we had a boxer/staffie cross on the boat a week or so back that decided to jump into a lock while the boat was in it, he certainly seemed to be doggy paddling enough to keep his head above water for the time it took me to jump down onto the boat from the top if lock and grab his harness to pull him out. Could that be because he has sufficient muscle to overcome the big head?

Having had a long haired cocker spaniel who loved jumping in the cut at every opportunity, and now having a black lab, I'd say...

Go for one with short hair.

For a start the lab doesn't need trimming every few months.

Does your lab moult?

Tim