Georges shop

nebulae

Featured Posts

Thanks for the Blog Link...Blimey..talk about over reaction!..

scary what these old 'uns get up too!!

We have had cakes from there a few times and they are delicious..I rather like her idea of a cream tea in a bag.!

I do hope this report of CaRT trying to close the shop at the bottom of the flight

is either wrong or happening because of a good reason

I would hate to see all the little stalls /garden gate sales being hassled by CaRT and maybe shut down too...

Edited by Gillie

I wasn't going to comment but as sometimes happens on this site people who should know better add comments which are ill informed and often downright wrong.

Dan has a contract with originally BW and now C&RT, he pays rent for the site.

Dan has all the relevant food hygiene and safety regulations covered and certificates to prove it.

He runs a smallholding which is not at the lock and the food is sourced from there.

I'm not going into details on an open forum but I can say because I do know that this year has without question been the worst of his life.

I spoke to John Dodwell and he has refered the matter to Stuart Mills the C&RT property director.

Hopefully Stuart will resolve the matter.

Ken

I agree with Ken that some comments have been ill informed.

Danny has an agreement with BW/CaRT dating back to June 2010 and it was always understood that he would be selling produce from the site.

In September this year, CaRT wrote to him threatening to give notice on the agreement. The reason given was that temporary structures on the site (a shed and gazebo) impeded the view of the landscape.

A petition calling for CaRT to review this decision has raised over 400 signatures and thanks to Ken and others CaRT has agreed to do so.

The petition is still open for signature.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

I wasn't going to comment but as sometimes happens on this site people who should know better add comments which are ill informed and often downright wrong.

Dan has a contract with originally BW and now C&RT, he pays rent for the site.

Dan has all the relevant food hygiene and safety regulations covered and certificates to prove it.

He runs a smallholding which is not at the lock and the food is sourced from there.

I'm not going into details on an open forum but I can say because I do know that this year has without question been the worst of his life.

I spoke to John Dodwell and he has refered the matter to Stuart Mills the C&RT property director.

Hopefully Stuart will resolve the matter.

Ken

WELL SAID.

Thanks Ken you beat me to it , I can second all that you have said and wish people would stick to the facts.

Stan .

Having cast doubt on this point earlier I am pleased to hear that. However does it cover his canal-side premises? The reason I ask is that I bought some meat there last summer and despite being fished out of the freezer, it was barely solid. I thought frozen produce had to be maintained at -18C.

Having cast doubt on this point earlier I am pleased to hear that. However does it cover his canal-side premises? The reason I ask is that I bought some meat there last summer and despite being fished out of the freezer, it was barely solid. I thought frozen produce had to be maintained at -18C.

Possibly, but meat does not have to be frozen to be fit for sale. Also, meat does not freeze instantly when placed in a deep freeze, so this cut may have been placed in there only a short time before and was still in the process of freezing.

From Facebook.....

Here's The statement Concerning George's (Note C&RT Edited it Original has been deleted)

The Canal & River Trust is not closing down George’s Pork & Poultry shop on the top flight at Audlem, quite the opposite we want to keep it open. It’s a popular attraction on the canal which adds vibrancy to the waterway and is so

mething we want to see continue.

The Trust agreed a lease with Mr George in July 2010 to rent a small 19th century lock hut to use as storage space with the option of adding additional storage with our permission in the future. During the last few years Mr George has erected two sheds which could be damaging to the lock hut and without permission.

We have met Mr George on several occasions over the last few months and at a meeting in May, Mr George agreed to remove the sheds and work with us on more suitable additional storage space. Mr George has not removed the sheds and despite several extensions to this deadline in October and November he has still not taken them down. The Trust is aware of Mr George’s personal circumstances and this is one of the reasons why we have been trying to help him as much as possible..

The Trust would like to see George’s Pork & Poultry Shop continue to operate by the canal but it needs to be done the right way with the correct agreements in place for both the use of business and with the right additional storage Mr George requires for his shop and which we are happy with.

We have no objection to him putting proposals to us for alternative storage on the site and we endeavour to resolve this issue amicably with Mr George.

From Facebook in answer to my question "What solution-that-works-for-him have you suggested?"

<snip>

"The Canal & River Trust is not closing down George’s Pork & Poultry shop on the top flight at Audlem, quite the opposite we want to keep it open. It’s a popular attraction on the canal which adds vibrancy to the waterway and is something we want to see continue...................."

</snip>

Sounds promising, but no doubt there will be some (including myself) that remain sceptical. Maybe CaRT have turned over a new leaf. The problem is that as BW they didn't exactly endear themselves to all boaters.

Maybe they do need the services of Alistair Campbell.

From Facebook in answer to my question "What solution-that-works-for-him have you suggested?"

<snip>

"The Canal & River Trust is not closing down George’s Pork & Poultry shop on the top flight at Audlem, quite the opposite we want to keep it open. It’s a popular attraction on the canal which adds vibrancy to the waterway and is something we want to see continue...................."

</snip>

Sounds promising, but no doubt there will be some (including myself) that remain sceptical. Maybe CaRT have turned over a new leaf. The problem is that as BW they didn't exactly endear themselves to all boaters.

Maybe they do need the services of Alistair Campbell.

C&RT do listen when they are approached, John Dodwell answered my initial e mail the same afternoon. I spoke to Dan on Tuesday and passed the information provided to John, he sent it to Stuart Mills who acted upon it yesterday. That's pretty fast for any organisation. C&RT has been in existence since July in that time it's clear that they are much better at listening than BW ever were. John Dodwell described it as an evolution rather than a revolution and that takes time. Several members on here went to a meeting with C&RT and described themselves satisfied that their views had been listened to.

C&RT are not our enemy they run the inland waterways and in the main they do a good job. It's very easy to point fingers when things go wrong but when you do ask yourself what you do to help.

:cheers:

Ken

• Greenie 2

C&RT do listen when they are approached, John Dodwell answered my initial e mail the same afternoon. I spoke to Dan on Tuesday and passed the information provided to John, he sent it to Stuart Mills who acted upon it yesterday. That's pretty fast for any organisation. C&RT has been in existence since July in that time it's clear that they are much better at listening than BW ever were. John Dodwell described it as an evolution rather than a revolution and that takes time. Several members on here went to a meeting with C&RT and described themselves satisfied that their views had been listened to.

C&RT are not our enemy they run the inland waterways and in the main they do a good job. It's very easy to point fingers when things go wrong but when you do ask yourself what you do to help.

:cheers:

Ken

No need for Aistair Campbell there then!

• 1 month later...

Is this the shop?

To buy meat here there was a notice saying to go to a house. The produce on display was all paid into an honesty box.

100_3546-1.jpg

Nope - the thread is about the shop alongside Audlem Bottom Lock.

Edited by homer2911

So, on the topic discussing hygeine awards for restaurants a few weeks ago the consensus was not to eat anywhere that didn't have a high score, but now some are leaping to the defence of a someone operating out of a shed with dodgy refrigeration and presumably no hot water?

but now some are leaping to the defence of a someone operating out of a shed with dodgy refrigeration and presumably no hot water?

....but who is not operating a restaurant. Customers can ensure that the food they buy is hygienically cooked when they get it home.

• Greenie 2