Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 25th-26th June

Bones

Featured Posts

France?

Ah, I meant there as in there, rather than in the vicinity (which also nicely covers for the fact that I didn't know it was a tar boat).

Interesting conversation this morning to the effect that museums are increasingly reluctant to send their best exhibits (i.e. the ones that float and move) to other rallies and festivals as it leaves them without their main attractions.

Skylark was there, but possibly not on Saturday night. I never saw it, but I saw Rupert and Alison, and they said it was there!

Skylark passed us when we were moored near the bottom of the Atherstone locks last week on the way to Braunston. I like the unusual counter design.

But the best boat IMO apart from Mimas must surely have been FMC Eagle

aha an excuse for a picture - and a few more here

eagle10.JPG

I sure there was someone taking a pic of me grovelling on the towingpath for this one - and maybe then I could apply to be added here too :-)

Better add you to this list then... Tim Lewis David Mack Stagedamager (IIRC) Steve Priest Hyperion57 giveitsomeoil One of the NBT crowd (I forget his forum name)

Do people (as well as boats) have to have been there overnight to qualify, I wonder - will we have to admit to rocking all those boats inside Fulbourne at 6.30am ?? hmmm

Not sure whether it counts on age grounds but the UCC push tug Mouse was there steered by Jonathon Hewitt and did a little parade on Sunday afternoon (but I think that was primarily because he was returning from pushing a boat earlier in the day, rather than actually participating).

Perhaps I should bring Tawny Owl along as an original example of a revenue earning working boat

In it's original livery too

Richard

I have often wondered if any of the Blue Line hire fleet would be welcome (have any survived?).

Certainly ex hire-cruisers have attended recently (e.g. Sextans and I think Usworth), and one was there as the "not taking part crowd this year, (Kelso)

Has Archimedes been shortened then?

David

Ahem!

It's not just me that is shortening boats - your crew appears to be at it too!.....

Skylak arrived on the Friday and is still there!

Tim

Beautiful boat that Eagle but I thought the steerer looked a very dodgy character.

Also, at the speed it was going, if there had been moored boats of the same scale, there would certainly have been a few "Slow down" yells.

Certainly ex hire-cruisers have attended recently (e.g. Sextans and I think Usworth), and one was there as the "not taking part crowd this year, (Kelso)

Not forgetting the stern end of Ice Breaker 'Tardebigge', as presented at Braunston, was once attached to the front half of 'Antlia', when it was the BW hire cruiser, 'Water Vixen'.... :closedeyes:

My favourite boats at the gathering were Nuneaton & Brighton (funny nobody on the forum can bring themselves to give us a compliment!), Admiral, Kamgaroo & Australia, Sam Noon's butty (ex- Vienna), Whitby - big up to Paul for using Threefellows livery instead of the overdone BW or Grand Union styles! The marvelous Eagle and Blossom's new aquisition, Darley - I do like them funnels - John Yates had one on Buckden too.

I have little to add other than I enjoyed myself hugely - so many friendly and enthusiastic people made the show a pleasure to be at.

I was also lucky enough to get to chat with Andy Watson whom I last met when he owned Oslo.

Here are a couple of images which I captured early Sunday morning with my Iphone. I hope you like them.

PicturesfromBraunstonBoatShow2011003.jpg

PicturesfromBraunstonBoatShow2011002.jpg

Once again another splendid show at Braunston.

Tomandjay4.jpg

How about these two for a nice pair of likely lads?! (Tom and Jay off Archimedes and Ara)

Also, the wife's just started Twitter so anyone want to help me out by tweeting her, she's @nb_empire

Terence

Once again another splendid show at Braunston.

Tomandjay4.jpg

How about these two for a nice pair of likely lads?! (Tom and Jay off Archimedes and Ara)

Also, the wife's just started Twitter so anyone want to help me out by tweeting her, she's @nb_empire

Terence

And I appear to be in the background on Linnet's roof, waiting for movement in the parade, it's a rare moment captured on camera for no boats to be moving on the Saturday, it flowed so freely.........;)

Dan

USWORTH has never been a hire cruiser having being shortened to become a B.W.B. maintenance boat.

Not forgetting the stern end of Ice Breaker 'Tardebigge', as presented at Braunston, was once attached to the front half of 'Antlia', when it was the BW hire cruiser, 'Water Vixen'.... :closedeyes:

The counter stern of the current TARDEBIGGE did come off KITTY, formally named WATER VIXEN - a B.W.B. hire cruiser. This counter stern end was put onto KITTY / WATER VIXEN after its disposal from B.W.B. so has no historical value at all.

The riveted fore end of the current TARDEBIGGE was formally the fore end of the original TARDEBIGGE, its original stern end being the counter stern of ANTLIA. This riveted fore end was built new in the 1950's, although there are claims that the stem post may have come from an old ice boat.

Edited by pete harrison

USWORTH has never been a hire cruiser having being shortened to become a B.W.B. maintenance boat.

Yes, my gaffe - sorry!

I guess there were (in a way) a lot of ex-hire boats there though......

Anything used as a hired camping boat, for a start, and there were certainly some of those.....

My favourite boats at the gathering were Nuneaton & Brighton (funny nobody on the forum can bring themselves to give us a compliment!)

Oh really! - You need to read it more often!

Old post on forum :rolleyes:

I want to echo the congratulations to all for a great show.

It was great to see some fully loaded boats, and nice to meet Alan Fincher at long last !

This first video is of President backing under the white bridge - a harmony of men (several) and machine.

see

Other boats filmed include Australia & Kangaroo, Towcester, Admiral, Dory, Emu & Fazeley, Kestrel, Ling, Florence, Marquis & Panther.

Over the next few days I shall up load more videos to You tube. I took 39 in all ! I won't post about everyone, I'll just say when I've completed the job, you can them find them on my channel. Search for MrGig2010 and you may find out about some of my other interests !

Edited by jake_crew