Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 25th-26th June

Bones

Featured Posts

My favourite boats at the gathering were Nuneaton & Brighton (funny nobody on the forum can bring themselves to give us a compliment!), Admiral, Kamgaroo & Australia, Sam Noon's butty (ex- Vienna), Whitby - big up to Paul for using Threefellows livery instead of the overdone BW or Grand Union styles! The marvelous Eagle and Blossom's new aquisition, Darley - I do like them funnels - John Yates had one on Buckden too.

I will give Nuneaton & Brighton a compliment!

Many thanks to the lady who showed my son Christopher (who has downs syndrome), Brighton's back cabin. It is people like you that make the show.

BTW if you are serious about swapping Brighton for our 1984 Colecraft .........

Hi all,

Thanks for the nice comments about Eagle.

I had a great time at the weekend and was appreciative of the care taken by steerers of all

those giant boats for giving Eagle a wide berth during the show.

The only forum member I met was Koukouvagia as I remembered his boat as we both have Kelvin K2's.

I had planned to ask one of the boatowners with a Bolinder if I could take a few measurements and photos

of their engine so that I can make a quarter scale replica to go into Eagle, but I never got time.

Are any of you Bolinder owners and if so would you mind me visiting your boat at some point, or if not

can any of you put me onto someone who is please.

Rob

(builder and steerer of Eagle)

What is it with the club boaters that they require constant back slaps and compliments and, if they don't get them, they start fishing?

It seems to me that there are so many people looking after the likes of Raymond/Nutfield, Nuneaton/Brighton and President/Kildare that they should be streets ahead of the boats owned and financed by individuals, and be the best turned out boats of every rally but they never are.

You are hobbyists, just like the private boat owner, the only difference being that individuals aren't cheeky enough to rattle a tin in people's faces.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

Yeah, massively effusive. Thanks.

Not sure what you expected from me, or others on here come to that. :rolleyes:

I went to Braunston with an open mind on NBT and an open invitation to visit the boats, which I did on a couple of occasions, and had a lengthy chat with Dan Gereaux. Agreed, the boats appearance are certainly vastly improved, most probably the best Nuneaton has looked in preservation, though I'm not sure about the 'Carrying Company' bit. Perhaps too much Timothy Taylors had been involved in that decision process.

However, I feel nothing has changed with the crew's attitude to passers by/potential visitors to the boats to encourage new members or me to improve my opinion come to that as, when I looked in on them on the sunday morning, there was little short of a full blown row going on..... :closedeyes:

What is it with the club boaters that they require constant back slaps and compliments and, if they don't get them, they start fishing?

It seems to me that there are so many people looking after the likes of Raymond/Nutfield, Nuneaton/Brighton and President/Kildare that they should be streets ahead of the boats owned and financed by individuals, and be the best turned out boats of every rally but they never are.

You are hobbyists, just like the private boat owner, the only difference being that individuals aren't cheeky enough to rattle a tin in people's faces.

Carl, Points taken, but on the other hand it's rare to see criticism of the appearance of named privately owned boats on here whereas organisations such as NBT seem to be fair game for jibes like the Narrowboat Rust tag we acquired a while ago, and any percieved boat handling issues seems to bring out the Victor Swift in some CWDF members, again rarely targeted towards named privately owned boats. A very few of us have worked our nuts off to get the boats looking as good as they are and change the attitudes of some members so I think it's only human nature that we might hope to see a little recognition of that. We haven't sought to feature on the forum, others have done that, but now we're here we will respond to posts.

Not sure what you expected from me, or others on here come to that. :rolleyes:

I went to Braunston with an open mind on NBT and an open invitation to visit the boats, which I did on a couple of occasions, and had a lengthy chat with Dan Gereaux. Agreed, the boats appearance are certainly vastly improved, most probably the best Nuneaton has looked in preservation, though I'm not sure about the 'Carrying Company' bit. Perhaps too much Timothy Taylors had been involved in that decision process.

However, I feel nothing has changed with the crew's attitude to passers by/potential visitors to the boats to encourage new members or me to improve my opinion come to that as, when I looked in on them on the sunday morning, there was little short of a full blown row going on..... :closedeyes:

Vastly Improved: Thank you.

Best Nuneaton has looked in preservation: Thank you again.

As regards the Carrying Company thing: We are a Limited Company, and we carry coal. Maybe only twice a year but nevertheless we do. In addition, the livery and signwriting was designed by the late lamented Roger Hutchinson aka King Learie and I for one am happy to carry it in his memory.

As to attitudes - the crew would have been the same ones praised by NB Albert in his post. I'm sure there were (alleged) arguments on other boats that day, but taking up the theme of my reply to CarlT, I wonder if you would report on similar instances on privately owned boats, and if not why you think it is acceptable/relevant in the case of ours.

Carl, Points taken, but on the other hand it's rare to see criticism of the appearance of named privately owned boats on here whereas organisations such as NBT seem to be fair game for jibes like the Narrowboat Rust tag we acquired a while ago, and any percieved boat handling issues seems to bring out the Victor Swift in some CWDF members, again rarely targeted towards named privately owned boats. A very few of us have worked our nuts off to get the boats looking as good as they are and change the attitudes of some members so I think it's only human nature that we might hope to see a little recognition of that. We haven't sought to feature on the forum, others have done that, but now we're here we will respond to posts.

I don't think I've had a dig at the NBT but I am a regular critic of the Raymond Trust.

I do think that if someone is going to ask for donations, to maintain what is, in essence, their hobby, then they do have a greater responsibility, than the private owner who finances his boat out of his own pocket, to be historically accurate, better turned out and more welcoming.

From what I see NBT fulfills these responsibilities much better than The Raymond Trust who, to be honest, look like a bunch of boaties out on a jolly with their shared ownership boat, oblivious to anyone who might be interested in learning anything.

As to attitudes - the crew would have been the same ones praised by NB Albert in his post. I'm sure there were (alleged) arguments on other boats that day, but taking up the theme of my reply to CarlT, I wonder if you would report on similar instances on privately owned boats, and if not why you think it is acceptable/relevant in the case of ours.

Because I have in the past been accused of knocking the NBT for no apparent reason, and was specifically asked by a trust member to come and visit the boats at Braunston, see the changes that have been made and give it another try. I had to walk away....

To try to keep a balance I'll say I visited the other groups too and found the 'President' crew to be pleasant and welcoming as always, despite them drawing the short straw with their pitch. Not sure what to make of the Raymond group. Their remotely sited stall was well presented and manned but the boats told a different tale. Nobody on them was interested in making conversation with me on the many occasions I walked past the boats over the three days I was there.

Hi all,

I had a great time at the weekend and was appreciative of the care taken by steerers of all

The only forum member I met was Koukouvagia as I remembered his boat as we both have Kelvin K2's.

I had planned to ask one of the boatowners with a Bolinder if I could take a few measurements and photos

of their engine so that I can make a quarter scale replica to go into Eagle, but I never got time.

Are any of you Bolinder owners and if so would you mind me visiting your boat at some point, or if not

Rob

This for me was one of the best boats of the show...many thanks for sharing it with us...Im also sure it has enthralled a whole new generation into models and working boats.....and as for that engine sound...well I mistook it on more than one occasion for the real thing!

Cheers

Gareth

PS Even my other half who doesnt get my thing for models really liked it!

One of my favorites at the show too.

007-9.jpg

It is a well turned out boat. It followed us up the single locks from Burton to Fradley and it looked a treat. It was slow going as we had a single hander and another slow pair in front of us. I don't think he was too happy at being delayed on his journey to Braunston but that's life on the cut these days when you gets boats bunching up for locks following slow boats.

Regarding the Narrow Boat Trust.....

Firstly the positives. The boats do look immensely better now than they have in the past - a whole leap has been made. I understand that a huge part of this has been down to Trevor, "twbm", who is the co-ordinator for maintenance, but of course that should in no way detract from other members of the NBT who have contributed heavily in their time to raising the game on how the boats present to the public.

However Trevor is also well aware that I have been involved in private conversations with both him, and more particularly crewing co-ordinator Barry Adams, (another forum member), about how a brief display of what I can only call "the wrong attitudes" can undo in seconds in some peoples minds the huge work that has gone into trying to give the trust a better image. To be very fair to both Trevor and Barry, both will openly admit in conversation that issues do sometimes arise, and I am convinced they are entirely serious about trying to clean up the act of any crews or individual members that are ever letting the side down.

I don't think though that the "trust boat" / "private boat" comparison is really fair. If you are in a "trust" situation, you are relying on all manner of funding that you have not actively paid yourselves, (regular crewing members, I understand only pay remarkably low annual subs), and therefore people observing you deserve to be treated courteously and politely at all times.

I'm not expecting exemplary working of the boats, (I probably couldn't manage it myself, and you clearly often don't sometimes either!), that all goes with the territory of keen amateurs trying to improve. What I do expect is to be treated civilly, even if you consider me to be the biggest "twat" on the cut.

If people are taking the time out to show interested parties over the boats, through the cabins, etc, then that is excellent of course, but it should be taken as read in my view - it is part of your raison d'etre to try to educate people about life with working boats.

But if there is genuinely a near row going on on the boats at probably the premier event of the whole historic boating calendar, then, (as your senior members will not deny, I feel sure), one quick outburst can destroy your image in some people's eyes for years.

As to "Friends of Raymond", I have not really at any event seen serious attempts to engage anybody - I really can't see what they are about - it seems like a private "club". The state of Nutfield was frankly shocking at this event. If you really must cover the cabin in a coat of temporary one colour paint, how hard would it have been to go over it at least in something approaching "Blue Line" blue, even if it was going to be all over. What has been chosen looks more appropriate on (perhaps) a light aircraft.

All the members, of all these groups, really do need to reflect regularly on why they are supposed to exist, and to make sure the way they present and act at public events is fully consistent with the stated aims of the group or trust that they are being a statesman for.

There were 100 plus old boats at Braunston, some better presented than any of the trust boats, so we don't need the trusts just to add a few additional old boats beyond the many dozens turning up that are privately owned. NBT, Friends of Raymond, and "President and co" should all be, as a matter of course, delivering something to the public beyond just putting their boats canal-side, maybe with a souvenir stall, but otherwise not showing any greater interest than a typical privately owned boat, (several of which were also letting the public climb over, and into their boats, of course!....).

You can get it right, chaps! Let's stop arguing about it, and let's see you continue to put your house further in order. I for one would then support you all the way.

Shameless cute grandchild photos.

img_0205.jpg

img_0215.jpg

Oh, she is so sweet! Sorry to have missed them - we struggled to divide up our time very well this year - too many people to see and boats to steer!

Hi all,

Rob

I LOVED Eagle. I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

Mike was certainly making a list. Val was more wondering why it was taking him so long..... :lol:

Are the Mike &Val you refer to Micheal Harrison & Val Roberts? Just wondering as if it is Micheal is my cousin

I was sat almost behind you, in the shade of the bridge, when you took that video...

Casp'

This shows we really do need a corporate Tee or Polo shirt so we can recognise each other.

I make enough of a burke of myself anyway, without bowling up to complete strangers and saying "Are you Lord Lucan ?" or WHY.

I note Kookavagia has already taken the plunge and commisioned his own !

I make enough of a burke of myself anyway, without bowling up to complete strangers and saying "Are you Lord Lucan ?".

The current owner of 'Hesperus' would almost certainly have been within close proximity of the beer tent, at the weekend, so you may well have got the response "No, but I own his boat."

This shows we really do need a corporate Tee or Polo shirt so we can recognise each other.

I make enough of a burke of myself anyway, without bowling up to complete strangers and saying "Are you Lord Lucan ?" or WHY.

I note Kookavagia has already taken the plunge and commisioned his own !

I dont think im alone in agreement to a form of recognision. This topic has been discussed several times now for over three years.

I had a very plesant conversation with David Schweizer for over ten mins before he realized we where both forum members.

Jeannette