Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 25th-26th June

Bones

Featured Posts

Ok, so if I bring my greyhound boy he'll be wandering around with me then...

Be warned, he is getting to like climbing on to boats. B)

I'd say that is the most sensible.....

Although there a few spectator bottlenecks, particularly over and around side bridges, it actually isn't usually that crowded, and not hard to have a fairly well behaved dog in tow.

It should be possible to find shade in the car park if the officials are not too officious, but why not let your dogs enjoy the show as well. You will find plenty of dogs on the boats and on the towpath. We shall have our Lurcher with us and he will also hopefully get on the parades.

Since all the car park proceeds go to charities I feel slightly guilty saying this but there is quite a lot of parking in the village within easy reach of the cut, then you can spend your £10 in the beer tent.

Is it normally the same weekend as Glastonbury though?

A practical and sensible question:

Does anyone know if there is much decent shade in the car park (thinking of taking the dog and would help to know the options)?

Ok, so if I bring my greyhound boy he'll be wandering around with me then...

Be warned, he is getting to like climbing on to boats. B)

My car got quite got last year but I took My long dog into the show and had a great time. He even behaved himself! I am leaving him behind this year.

Nobody could quite agree in the beer tent last night, but at least there was consensus that the number of historic boats attending should easily exceed the magic 100 mark for the first time.

I did hear numbers as high as 117, although than does seem a bit fanciful. If it is that many, the parades will surely be mayhem!

We shall see.

The weather here this morning is certainly considerably better than we arrived to last night, when I stood outside chatting fot too long, and really did get very wet indeed.

I think you need to learn about older boating techniques before critising.

Dropping paddles was perfectly normal practice and many lock keepers used to say it keeps them bedded in better. Opening gates with the boats was normal too, the practice of thumblining was used to open bottom gates for pairs without anyone involved at the gate. Strapping the top gate shut was common too, none of these do any more damage to the gate or gear than todays nandy pandy slow "by the book" passages, these are techniques developed by professional boatmen who knew the road well.

I for one was taught by proper boating people who had developed a very efficent way to boat, minimum effort, minimum time through a lock. If a boats single handed then the more effort the boat puts in the better for the steerer. The boaters knew every trick around so it was a professional way to boat not lazy. An example of knowledge is on the GU self contained geared paddles (ie Hatton) they are fully open at around 19 turns, but you can turn most up to 26 or so, knowledge of that saves you 500 turns of the gearing on the 21 locks.

Oh of course silly me I forgot that these boaters who have been ramming the gates and whacking the safety catch off and letting the paddles drop without control have a living to earn so speed is of the essence :rolleyes: I think not.

Laurence

I couldn't agree with you more. We have lost so much in the way of working boat techniques and I sometimes despair for the future. Gates weren't "rammed", rather nosed open and I still do this on occasion, especially when single handed. I rarely drop paddles these days, tho' I'm hard pushed to understand why. I still strap in from time to time, tho' the new handrail position doesn't help. Martin Fuller summed it up perfectly a couple of years ago..."The idea was to take as much work out of boating as possible"...you and I concur.

Dave

• Greenie 3

Oh of course silly me I forgot that these boaters who have been ramming the gates and whacking the safety catch off and letting the paddles drop without control have a living to earn so speed is of the essence :rolleyes: I think not.

I think you missed the point. Speed is a by product, it is about economy of effort and proficiency.

The boaters of old whose living depended on lock passages did not damage locks with their methods; it would be counter productive.

Look at it through their eyes :cheers:

Laurence

I couldn't agree with you more. We have lost so much in the way of working boat techniques and I sometimes despair for the future. Gates weren't "rammed", rather nosed open and I still do this on occasion, especially when single handed. I rarely drop paddles these days, tho' I'm hard pushed to understand why. I still strap in from time to time, tho' the new handrail position doesn't help. Martin Fuller summed it up perfectly a couple of years ago..."The idea was to take as much work out of boating as possible"...you and I concur.

Dave

Thanks Dave, people need to realize that waterways traditions arent just about types of boat, roses & castles etc but about the way of life and how it was conducted. I do wish these people would learn about the heritage they choose to play or live on before condemning practices that have evolved out of that very heritage, I wonder if Romarni123 and others ever wonder WHY BW still put strapping posts on lock gates - thats assuming they know what they are!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Well, we went yesterday, amd would have been there today also, if it weren't for work commitments for Mrs. B.

Lovely day spent under the clouds, watching slowly organised chaos descend as boats got stuck on branches and silt.

In all seriousness, it was a great day, we arrived around 11 and bumped into The Finchers on Sickle, had a nose around and made appreciative noises - we're seriously envious of your Boatmans Cabin, Alan :) Also met Hairy Neil and saw Victoria, Mike Askin's boat, although no sign of the man himself.

Bumped into lots of other friends, narrowly missed meeting Dave Moore, bought some stuff we recognised, ate some stuff we didn't and renewed our subs to Canals and Boats magazine for a tenner.

Got home late, not too wet, not too sunburnt, not too hungry, just pleasantly knackered.

Enjoy Sunday everyone, looks like it'll be a belter

Thanks Dave, people need to realize that waterways traditions arent just about types of boat, roses & castles etc but about the way of life and how it was conducted. I do wish these people would learn about the heritage they choose to play or live on before condemning practices that have evolved out of that very heritage, I wonder if Romarni123 and others ever wonder WHY BW still put strapping posts on lock gates - thats assuming they know what they are!

Laurence you really are being patronising, I have an excellant knowledge of the waterways old and new,did I say it was because they had bumped open the gates gently no I never, this was a play working boat who rammed the gates open and whacked the catch off to let the paddles down in fact several did it,Lets hope that not everyone adopts that practice as I am sure you would be the first to complain when a lock is out of action because someone has rammed the gate instead of doing it with care.

I think you missed the point. Speed is a by product, it is about economy of effort and proficiency.

The boaters of old whose living depended on lock passages did not damage locks with their methods; it would be counter productive.

Look at it through their eyes :cheers:

I do, but I hardly think these who were ramming the gates are boaters of old and as I said they have no need to ram the gates, so a little care and consideration for a structure of age would be more helpful than ramming the gates and whacking the safety catch off.Its not like they were solo either.

Thanks to Chertsey for allowing us to ride on the parade with them... It was complete chaos on Saturday.. The parade turned into a jam of boats and it took over 4 hours to complete the trip.. But we did have a great time.

Casp, Sleepy and Casperette...

Definitely. Will be camping on Ling, the party boat!

Yay! And me... (arrived late saturday)

Thanks Dave, people need to realize that waterways traditions arent just about types of boat, roses & castles etc but about the way of life and how it was conducted.

This is exactly it.

I almost always drop the paddle by controlling it with my hand, rather than the windlass, and, where its appropriate practice (both meaning of the work) techniques such as strapping in, teaching other who are interested how it is done. Its not about the speed, or even really saving my effort, (although both can be positive by products) but about keeping the skills alive, and enjoying my time boating more than if i was not doing them.

Very occasionally it can go wrong, and sometimes in way that does or could have done harm. But no more so than anything else. Ive seen far more paddles dropped roughly by people winding them with a windless that has then come off mid-way, than people dropping them by using there hand, for instance.

Saturday log jam

IMG_2249.jpg

Get it jammed!

Cracking weekend, had a great time but didn't see enough of some people. Good fun steering the parade too.

Ditto'ed

Yes, we are just back home, exhausted, but having had a fine time.

I'll admit to being slightly miffed yesterday when the chaos meant that a significant number of boats, us included, never got the chance to parade. Whilst the chaos is now famous, undoubtedly some silly things happened that made things far worse than they need be, and several boats took maybe 5 hours to complete what is really not very far at all.

Everybody seemed to agree, (depending on exactly what you counted!), that the number of boats had easily beaten 100 for the first time, (110 seemed to be one of the more realistic estimates).

Today things worked better, and we did get to do our lap of honour a fair bit faster than that.

I'm sure I'll not remember all the forumites we me, so apologies for those we leave out, but certainly inculded were.....

Sue1946

Mike Askin

Koukouvagia

Paul H

Admiral

David Schweizer

Dick Browne

Bones

Hairy Neil

Fade to Scarlet

Black Ibis

Chertsey

Paddington Bear

Jeanette Smith Harrison

PeterO

DHutch

Jake Crew

Fanshaft

Barry Adams

Liam

Chalky

Alnwick

M.T.Major

Spotted but didn't really get chance to greet....

Kez

Sarahavfc

Several others waved enthusiastically, so I guess we have missed some. All I can say is that when it's your first time, and you are trying not to bounce off other boats, spotting everybody who may be watching is somehow not your highest priority.

SUBSEQUENT EDITS: To add the ids of other people we met, as they continue to come back into my memory!

Edited by alan_fincher

We managed to close the canal quite well:

I can only say that when we left Sickle where it appears in that picture one week previously, no boats were more than two abreast, and there was bags of room to get through!

I reckon I can see Sue1946 and (probably) hairy Neil in that picture..... Any more ?