Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 25th-26th June

Bones

Featured Posts

OK,

Trying again......

Ignoring those not participating, so far I have only about.....

GU & Erewash 44

FMC 27

Others 17

So only 88 - nothing like the number I was hearing - more please!!

Grand Union and Erewash

(now in approx alphabetical order!)

Present at show, (44)

Angel

Aquila

Ara

Archimes

Barrow

Betelgeuse

Bideford

Bordesley

Brighton

Buckden

Callisto

Capricorn

Carnaby

Casseopeia

Cedar

Chertsey

Corona

Cyprus

Darley

Dodona

Dorado

Fulbourne

George

Greenock

"Linnet"

Mimas

Nuneaton

Nutfield

Phobos

Purton

Radiant

Regulus

Renfrew

Sagitta

Sickle

Southern Cross

Stamford

Stanton

Stratford

Towcester

Thea

Vesta

Victoria

Whitby

Present in Braunston

Achilles

Dover (or was it ?)

Fellows Morton & Clayton

Present at show (Cypress and Perch not included, unless further evidence) (27 boats)

Australia

Bream (Back end only)

Cactus

Columbia

Clover

Cormorant

Dory

Dove

Empress

Emu

Fazeley

Hare

Ibex

Jaguar

Kangaroo

Kestrel

Kildare

Lamprey

Ling

Marquis

Owl

Plover

President

Stafford

Tasmania

Tench

Verbena

Present in Braunston....

Clent

France

Madeley

Monarch

Others

Present at show (17 boats)

Adamant

Admiral

Ariel

Atlantic

Baltic

Bittell

Elizabeth

James Loader

Pacific

Raymond

Sandbach

Swallow

Sweden

Swift

Tardebigge

Thor (BCN)

Mystery boat in red oxide (BCN) (Was this the one with "Seal" Chalked on ?)

The "official" count included

Clent and the BCN boat at Peter Boyce's yard, Achilles, France and Kelso at the Bottom Lock and Aldgate escaping the crowds 2 locks up - and also I suspect Dover. Did they count Lucy and the icebreaker out of the water at Peter Boyce's?

Yes mystery boat was Seal.

Also Malcolm Braine brought his BCN spoon dredger and iceboat Pelican was also there.

There were at least 3 people making lists including the editor of the HNBOC magazine so we'll have to see how they got over 100. Should we count Australia and Bream twice as they are both made out of two boats?

Paul

But the best boat IMO apart from Mimas must surely have been FMC Eagle

Youtube clip not taken at Braunston:

Sorry can't work out how to embed it!

Remove the &feature bit...

I think I have some video of that from yesterday at Braunston - I loved how the 'Bolinder' slows down to its hesitant tickover when the boat slows down.

Tony

The "official" count included

Clent and the BCN boat at Peter Boyce's yard, Achilles, France and Kelso at the Bottom Lock and Aldgate escaping the crowds 2 locks up - and also I suspect Dover. Did they count Lucy and the icebreaker out of the water at Peter Boyce's?

Yes mystery boat was Seal.

Also Malcolm Braine brought his BCN spoon dredger and iceboat Pelican was also there.

There were at least 3 people making lists including the editor of the HNBOC magazine so we'll have to see how they got over 100. Should we count Australia and Bream twice as they are both made out of two boats?

Paul

All a bit spurious, then!

There is a stack of old blue tops behind Union Canal Carriers - can we count the boats they came from ?

I've updated my last attempt already once, and now a couple more times for additions and corrections.

Edited by alan_fincher

A few pictures from us - not easy to take so many this year, though.....

"Fulbourne" reverses "Angel" round the turn

DSCF4418.jpg

That's me steering Fulbourne. At least you photographed us while the boats were in vaguely the right place for that manoeuvre - it took a few forwards and backs to get the bows of Fulbourne past the point of the island so we could go forwards again!

Not mentioned so far is tug Oxford 1, which took part in Sunday's parade.

FMC Perch came through on Sunday, although whether as part of the event or just passing through, I don't know.

Dover was in the dry dock.

David

Not mentioned so far is tug Oxford 1, which took part in Sunday's parade.

FMC Perch came through on Sunday, although whether as part of the event or just passing through, I don't know.

So, if the official requirement was "had to be there overnight Saturday to Sunday, Perch would appear to be out of it.

I added tug Oxford 1, but was it there on Saturday ?

There appears to have been a small boat with a butty style elum moored up near the ladder bridge alongside Capricorn on the Saturday, that I'm not sure we have accounted for. What was that, please Paul ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Ignoring those not participating,

Since Pete Boyce had a 'Lucy' restoration display and fundraising stand, would you say he was actively participating....

Should we count Australia and Bream twice as they are both made out of two boats?

Not to mention the square ended pan moored above the bottom lock. Appears to be half BCN, half Josher?

So, if the official requirement was "had to be there overnight Saturday to Sunday, Perch would appear to be out of it.

I added tug Oxford 1, but was it there on Saturday ?

There appears to have been a small boat with a butty style elum moored up near the ladder bridge alongside Capricorn on the Saturday, that I'm not sure we have accounted for. What was that, please Paul ?

The HNBOC requirement was to be there saturday night/sunday morning, however I was happy to see any/all the old boats in the area. I never actually saw Aldgate as it must have moved up nearer the tunnel by the time I went up the locks. Was certainly not visible from top lock, though I met its owner at Nelson lock as I lockwheeled for FMC 'Owl', so wasn't far away.

Oxford No.1 was indeed there on Saturday.

There was a small blue boat participating, tied up near butchers bridge, named 'Owl'. It was certainly old but not a rivet in sight that I could see. Thoughts anyone?

Since Pete Boyce had a 'Lucy' restoration display and fundraising stand, would you say he was actively participating....

I've no idea what criteria others would be using, but I think many would accept as "in the water" to probably be necessary to say anything was participating.

I'm interested in what those organising do think counted, and any list they come up with.

There was a small blue boat participating, tied up near butchers bridge, named 'Owl'. It was certainly old but not a rivet in sight that I could see. Thoughts anyone?

No,

But you make me realise that "Joseph" is omitted from the list so far......

I've no idea what criteria others would be using, but I think many would accept as "in the water" to probably be necessary to say anything was participating.

I'm interested in what those organising do think counted, and any list they come up with.

No,

But you make me realise that "Joseph" is omitted from the list so far......

The small boat with butty elum moored next to Capricorn was the iceboat Baltic already listed.

The "other" Owl was a tug built in 1976 for Jack Taylor one of the partners in the Anderton Canal Carrying Co, and used for towing hoppers on IIRC the Bridgewater Canal. So whilst 1976 might not seem historic to many of us, it is an ex-working boat - and in some ways was actually more historic than one of two of the others Paul

Edited by Paul H

The "other" Owl was a tug built in 1976 for Jack Taylor one of the partners in the Anderton Canal Carrying Co, and used for towing hoppers on IIRC the Bridgewater Canal. So whilst 1976 might not seem historic to many of us, it is an ex-working boat - and in some ways was actually more historic than one of two of the others Paul

Don't go upsetting the 'Raymond' crowd..... :closedeyes:

Was interesting to note on the Friends of Raymond display boards, Nutfield is on the National Historic Ships Register, but no mention of poor Raymond.

Sweden (Henry Seddons)

Already in my list of "others"......

I'm having doubts in another area now......

How many Cowburn and Cowpar boats, actually. Swallow and Swift for definite, but I'm now unsure if there was another.

I'm also thinking Trout should possibly be in the FMC list, but I'm no means certain......

Anybody ?

Still need a name for short boat with butty style elum moored offside of Capricorn.

no I don't - thanks Paul!

Edited by alan_fincher

Don't go upsetting the 'Raymond' crowd..... :closedeyes:

Was interesting to note on the Friends of Raymond display boards, Nutfield is on the National Historic Ships Register, but no mention of poor Raymond.

Actually I wasn't thinking of Raymond when I wrote that but I'll leave you to guess which boat(s) I was.

Raymond IS, rightly or wrongly, included on the National Historic Ships Register here .

Paul

Do they put a limit on age.....

Obviously Richard Horne's "Arundel" would be very much more a working boat than the majority present, but would it qualify as "historic" ?

Already in my list of "others"......

I'm having doubts in another area now......

How many Cowburn and Cowpar boats, actually. Swallow and Swift for definite, but I'm now unsure if there was another.

Skylark was there.

So how many now Alan?

Paul

Do they put a limit on age.....

Obviously Richard Horne's "Arundel" would be very much more a working boat than the majority present, but would it qualify as "historic" ?

Arundel has been at a previous Braunston Historic Rally. The Lister JP part of it certainly is, though no idea if that actual engine has a canal history....

Raymond does make the list:

NRHV

Edited to add: Must take Paul H off my ignore list. ;)

Edited by carlt

OK,

It's widely argued what is not historic, because too much of the original is lost.....

What do people consider to be the most original boats present.

Clearly it means many things to many people, (e.g. some argue that a fairly in tact hull with a modern conversion on is more original than something still in working form, but where little of the hull is original), but take it to mean whta you want it to.....

I'm not expert enough to know, but wonder what people think.....

Chatting to it's new owners, even the much hacked about (by BW) Carnaby has much of it's original bottoms - something perhaps not true of many of the boats present ?