Loud horn Required (any idea's)

oggie

Featured Posts

Hi all.

I am looking for a loud, simple, fairly inexpensive horn to replace the mickey mouse one that was fitted to my boat.

I want to make myself heard as I creep through blind bridges only to meet that inconsiderate clown thundering through from the other side totally oblivious to any other boat. Usually giving that "what gives you the right to be here" look.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

Bob.

The Stebel Nautilus... available on E-Bay or car accessory shope for about £20

These come as "High/low" electric horns and also an air horn. The sound the electric horns make is like what you would expect to hear on a large juggernaut, and the airhorn a bit "shriller" - both are pretty loud - certainly would not be missed unless your engine is very noisy...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I bought a pair of second hand Audi 100 horns from the local VW breakers for a fiver to replace the pathetic horn, which was on our boat when we aquired it. Whilst they are not as loud as an airhorn they can be heard at some distance.

In which case they'd already know you were coming, no?

Tony :lol:

Correct ! No ! As you know, what seems loud to you standing above it, others, even at the front of the boat can barely hear, let alone the skipper of another boat "around the corner", above the noise of their engine ! If you want to alert them of your presence you need a loud horn.

Nick

Would you be putting the staircase in as well Mike?

(Not so sure about the music?) Check out the stroke on those pistons - and is that a steam organ playing on the top aft deck?

Derek

I was thinking about putting in the gang plank arrangement for when I'm loaded with Victoria, you could rarely get close to the bank!

The steam organ is a Calliope, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calliope_(music) and came from circus's before making their way onto the river boats.

Mike

I bought one of those,very loud and simple 2 wire connection.

Twinpot.

Yup..simples...and it the same model as the Midland Chandlers one that Innisfree links above. It was £12 including post.

Good old Ebay...good old Chinese....

Bob

Yup..simples...and it the same model as the Midland Chandlers one that Innisfree links above. It was £12 including post.

Good old Ebay...good old Chinese....

Bob

Lots of boats have their horns mounted in the cratch and the button by the steerer so that could well be over 120 feet of cable, this could well be what is limiting the volume of your present or any new horn you fit.

I fancy putting one of these horns on Victoria:

At least they would know I was coming, even if they didn't know what!

Mike

Okay, now remind me, which way was he wanting to turn according to another thread.

Martyn

Okay, now remind me, which way was he wanting to turn according to another thread.

Martyn

I think she was just sounding off, and she's not moving anywhere 'cause she's still moored. However on this video:

You can clearly hear a single long blast to denote entering the fairway, and three short blasts for going astern, which she promptly does!

Cheers,

Mike

The Delta Queen horn is superb but surely it would be outclassed if you went for this option:

Have that in your cratch and you'd be known across the waterways from here to ..... wherever is the furthest waterway from here! AND you'd be welcomed; people would pull to one side, wait for you, give you priority.

The one two difficulty difficulties I see is how you'd manage the BW long/short one/two/three etc .....

AND you'd need to expand the job description of the person doing the locking to include "and play the caliope at appropriate moments throughout the day when the nb is underway"

:lol:

(edited because I realised there was a second difficulty)

Edited by Jo_

Ive got one of the Stebel-Nautilus 'COMPACT' horns on the kitcar to replace the dieing electric horn.

- Its dam loud on its own, although shriller than i had hoped, and with the engine running and me in the drivers seat not as loud as it could be.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-HORN-STEBEL-NAUT...=item5ad91946ca

Detailed as being 115 dB(A) at 2m, so i guess thats right, the kitcars exhaust is about 105 at 1m. So given im 2m from the horn and 0,75m from the exhaust. Would be interesting to hear it from another car traveling infront at motorway speeds, as thats where it needs to be heard, just as they start trying to pull out infront of me again.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago we were heading up the Middlewich Branch when I heard a steam whistle. "Must be a steam excursion train up on the railway crossing" thought I.

Then it occured to me that the railway line crossing was still quite a way off and the whistle sounded nearer than that. And didn't I read something about President due to appear at Ellesmere Port?

After stopping to listen out, President with Kildare in tow came hurtling through the blind bridge 'ole. The bewhiskered engineer leaning out of the side doors called out "we have to go at a bit of a pace 'cos bottom's too near the top".