Spending a small fortune to live like a homeless person

Featured Posts

Well as a newbies we have finally bought a boat. Currently living on hard standing in a grubby boat yard.

Paid a small fortune for the basics enclosed 60' steel tube. 

Do I need my head examined 

Edited by Naartjie - Duck Hatch

4 minutes ago, Naartjie - Duck Hatch said:

Well as a newbies we have finally bought a boat. Currently living on hard standing in a grubby boat yard.

Certainly but you are not alone and amongst lots of others.

• Happy 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Naartjie - Duck Hatch said:

No because you’re doing what you want and life is short.  Post some pics of your new boat. Would love to see it.  

12 minutes ago, Naartjie - Duck Hatch said:

But it hasn't even got wet yet 

Just wait. This year, mine got wet inside when it rained. Be careful what you wish for...

Mind you, there's still nothing better than messing about on boats.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

No because you’re doing what you want and life is short.  Post some pics of your new boat. Would love to see it.  

I guess that's the reason. Life is indeed short. A good friend has motor neuron, his advice was do it while you still can, ....so here we are ........

IMG20240305110231.jpg

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

14 hours ago, Naartjie - Duck Hatch said:

I guess that's the reason. Life is indeed short. A good friend has motor neuron, his advice was do it while you still can, ....so here we are ........

IMG20240305110231.jpg

That looks ok and at least you’ve got a decent set of steps to get on and off. If you think that’s grubby your in for a bit of an eye opener when you see some of the crap boatyards and the wrecks moored in them😂

• Greenie 1

Pictures seem to be in two different hardstanding locations, both of which look better than most boatyards I know. Do hope it's going in the water before long! In all seriousness, looks to be a great boat. Enjoy!

Yes, its the blacking season, time to buy some quality tools, respirators and disposable boiler suit.

You can buy a kit from SML Paints, but is it to be epoxy, Ballistic, or Bitumen stuff? 

Plus Its a lot easier to smarten up the gunwales out of the water, best use some anti slip granules on the horizontal surfaces, (not sand)

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Congratulations- looks lovely. ☺️ 

Strange thing is that on my screen the hull looks rusty on one of the photos.

Before you launch make sure the sacrificial anodes are adequate, or electricsl activity can cause hull corrosion. 

Dont despair about the initial costs, it will all be worth it, eventually :)

Edited by LadyG

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes, its the blacking season, time to buy some quality tools, respirators and disposable boiler suit.

You can buy a kit from SML Paints, but is it to be epoxy, Ballistic, or Bitumen stuff? 

Plus Its a lot easier to smarten up the gunwales out of the water, best use some anti slip granules on the horizontal surfaces, (not sand)

I've bitten the bullet and gone for epoxy.

Will do the gunwales myself. Thanks for the advice on anti slip & makes sense to do it before as she goes back...but may not have time, but maybe can do a touch up😔 

Epoxy of course is "better" , but requires very different prep, and should be cured as per data sheet before launching.

Edited by LadyG

20 hours ago, MtB said:

An oxymoron I always think. 

If it's small, it can't be a fortune!

Congrats by the way :)

Oh I don't know. When I started rallying I was told that the best way to make a small fortune out of motorsport was to start off with a large one... :)

• Haha 1

Looks like Aqueduct Marina….at least the photo with the chippings, trimmed lawn and distressed but refurbished historic brick building….looks like a very nice boat. Congratulations, I dream of being in your position one day….

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Oh I don't know. When I started rallying I was told that the best way to make a small fortune out of motorsport was to start off with a large one... :)

That's rather like Richard Branson's answer to a little girl's question when he was visiting a school. She asked "How did you become a millionaire?"

She was probably a bit bemused by his answer "First I became a billionaire, then I started an airline".

• Greenie 1