Anyone passing the Etihad/Coop Live?

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

I've contacted the Coop Live venue, but they appear to be rather distracted at the moment(!) so if anyone is cruising by or planning to, or walking the towpath there, would you be kind enough to check whether it's feasible to moor by the venue? It looks a possiblity, but if it's concrete with no rings or bollards it's clearly out. I have other options in mind (thanks everyone) but want to check if this is a viable option to add. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure we've stopped for lunch there (just above lock 5) a time or two  and had something to tie up to though it might have been bollards for the lock landing. There's not much  boat traffic along here just now , what with Marple shut and the variable HNC, so you won't be shouted at for improper mooring.

I think I would be more concerned as to  if the event you are attending was actually going to happen this side of 2025!

I've messaged the volly lock keeper (50 years experience in and on this canal) for a definite answer.

Answer has come back: positive there are rings.

• Greenie 2

Well that's very encouraging! Thank you kindly both. The photo is helpful; the local knowledge priceless.

Thank you especially for the above and beyond effort of taking the trouble to contact the volly @billh, much appreciated.

I'm watching the venue fiasco with interest and hoping there's a few folks higher up the postponement list than The Eagles! I'd have put "Boogie wit da hoodie" in that bracket, but i think I might be working with stale intel...

Today pound between lock 7/8 no rings pins only. Shallow at the edge. 

3 hours ago, billh said:

I'm pretty sure we've stopped for lunch there (just above lock 5) a time or two  and had something to tie up to though it might have been bollards for the lock landing. There's not much  boat traffic along here just now , what with Marple shut and the variable HNC, so you won't be shouted at for improper mooring.

I think I would be more concerned as to  if the event you are attending was actually going to happen this side of 2025!

I've messaged the volly lock keeper (50 years experience in and on this canal) for a definite answer.

Answer has come back: positive there are rings.

Yep. Very quite. Lock 7 top lock landing as rings next to the landing bollards. 👍

IMG_20240429_130249.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_171555_com.android.gallery3d_edit_6849900389577.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_171618_com.android.gallery3d_edit_6860804181242.jpg

23 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Yep. Very quite. Lock 7 top lock landing as rings next to the landing bollards. 👍

IMG_20240429_130249.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_171555_com.android.gallery3d_edit_6849900389577.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_171618_com.android.gallery3d_edit_6860804181242.jpg

Paradise wharf good safe moorings. 

Screenshot_20240429_173746_com.android.gallery3d_edit_7430991600426.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_173801_com.android.gallery3d_edit_7416145736887.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Screenshot_20240429_173746_com.android.gallery3d_edit_7430991600426.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_173801_com.android.gallery3d_edit_7416145736887.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_174633_com.android.gallery3d_edit_7804751996203.jpg

47 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

IMG_20240429_130249.jpg

Sussex is relatively shallow drafted I seem to remember . Hope you or the current hirers didn’t get apprehended  by too many locals who hadn’t heard of the county but rather liked the “sex” bit of her name. It got a bit tedious after a while 😊

2 hours ago, Jon57 said:

IMG_20240429_130249.jpg

A link to a view here 78 years ago:https://www.timepix.uk/Collection-galleries/OS-Revision-Points-in-Greater-Manchester/1940s-1950s-Manchester-and-Stockport/Manchester-east/i-Dx4Pq6x/A

The wall on the left was part of the Manchester Corporation Electricity Department's Stuart Street Power Station

2 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

There are rings above lock 5 right by the steps up to the entrance road

Thank you, good to know.

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

Thanks, useful photo - one of the earlier recommendations and quite likely the choice, but on Google maps satellite photo there's 5 boats on the 6 spaces, so I'm trying to cover all options in case some areas are full.

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Sussex is relatively shallow drafted I seem to remember . Hope you or the current hirers didn’t get apprehended  by too many locals who hadn’t heard of the county but rather liked the “sex” bit of her name. It got a bit tedious after a while 😊

I'm not on Sussex. It's only the second boat I've seen moving since leaving the Calder and hebble a week last Thursday. They had a good crew helped us several times by flushing us out of locks and a tow for good measure. 😁👍

15 minutes ago, billh said:

Here's a picture of a man putting a mooring spike into the bank  for you:

right outside the future Co-Op thingy:

https://www.timepix.uk/Collection-galleries/OS-Revision-Points-in-Greater-Manchester/1940s-1950s-Manchester-and-Stockport/Manchester-east/i-LLXWnqK

Once you could get a job just pointing at things. The Chinese, Social Media and AI have ruined some promising careers between them.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you, good to know.

Thanks, useful photo - one of the earlier recommendations and quite likely the choice, but on Google maps satellite photo there's 5 boats on the 6 spaces, so I'm trying to cover all options in case some areas are full.

Tonight only us here. Moor mooring rings further up passed the narrows. 

Screenshot_20240429_205248_com.android.gallery3d_edit_18861075531495.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_205255_com.android.gallery3d_edit_18848239713788.jpg

Screenshot_20240429_205303_com.android.gallery3d_edit_18829148467437.jpg

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Tonight only us here. Moor mooring rings further up passed the narrows. 

Thanks Jon, that looks promising! Mooring info doesn't get much more current than that! :D

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

I see the Co-op Live is still not live, the latest opening event having been cancelled 10 minutes after the doors were due to open!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/may/01/manchester-co-op-live-arena-cancels-opening-concert-after-technical-issue

Well, I'm not sure "Boogie wit da Hoodie" would be the most popular opening act amongst CWDF members, so I doubt there'll be moorings full of disappointed narrowboat owners this morning. It's a bit of a fiasco though isn't it, and maybe the Co-op would prefer it was happening to Sainsbury's Live, but best that it's opened only when the venue is safe and ready.

Just to be clear - the Co-Op are not responsible for the venue - only paying to have their name on it, so they are as much a disappointed client as the ticket holders.

16 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Just to be clear - the Co-Op are not responsible for the venue - only paying to have their name on it, so they are as much a disappointed client as the ticket holders.

Yep, the backers are a real mix including MCFC's UAE owner's cash, Eagles' US management (Oakview Music Group), and Harry Styles!

I can never keep up with who is sponsoring all these venues at a given time and what they're officially called. This to me will be 'the arena at Man City' and the AO arena will stay as 'the arena at Viccy station'. The latter has gone through a load of names since I first went to it as the Nynex arena (remember them - they were a cable company).

Whole thing is a farce and some at the Co-op must be having a real facepalm moment.