Baton Twirlers Stage Protest (again)

Featured Posts

On 06/04/2024 at 13:02, Alan de Enfield said:

A year or three ago "British Cycling" (the controlling body for cycling) contacted C&RT and suggested that if C&RT wished to inplement a charge (or licence) for cycling on the towpaths they would support it.

C&RT thanked them but declined as it was part of the Transfer conditions (BW to C&RT) that the access and use of the towpaths must remain freee of charge and unhindered.

Extract from the transfer documents :

2.4 The Trustee must obtain the Settlor’s prior written consent before:

2.4.1 ...........

2.4.2 ...........

2.4.3 restricting pedestrian access to any part of the towpaths within the Infrastructure Property; for example by charging a fee for access, save that consent will not be needed for any temporary restrictions either to allow maintenance/repair works or to protect persons from risks to their safety;

2.4.4 diverting the route of any towpath or part of a towpath, other than as permitted at Clause 3.5.1;

Note :

1. Pedestrians: This category includes individuals who walk, use mobility aids (such as wheelchairs and rollators), and those with vision impairments. Essentially, anyone navigating on foot falls under the pedestrian umbrella.

2. Cyclists: While cyclists primarily use bicycles, they are often considered part of the broader pedestrian and active transportation community. So, yes, pedestrian access does indeed include cyclists.

The above only refers to free access. I suggest CRT "think out if the box" and put turnstiles on all exits from the towpath and charge for these... :)

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

When we used to hire we often hired a boat that had no hire company details on it so looked like a private boat and I found we got a different reception at locks to when we hired something that had a company name on it.  With the unmarked boat people would be happy to slate hire boaters, but I then liked to point out we were hiring.

Had the same thing with the shareboat (ex-Ownerships, paint nice and dull) in a lock queue, J was helping up at the lock and i was holding the centre line, bloke on a private boat behind sidled up and started a rant about hirers slowing things down. Once i told him we were a shareboat and if he found it so slow he could send some of his crew up to help out rather than standing about he suddenly found something very interesting on his stern deck.

Mind you, i've also been on the receiving end of unwarranted abuse in the car when my hair wasn't tied up, some bloke came marching up from the car behind at some traffic lights, "YOU STUPID BIT....... Oh, sorry mate, i didn't see you" and off he went.

I fully look forward to being treat like the numpty i am in a month or so when the boat paint is finished :D 

• Haha 1

I dont think licence fee increases are responsible for increasing overstayers.

There seems to be a lot  of  assumptions and downright rubbish spouted in the article. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MtB said:

Um… aren’t CCers technically homeless anyway?

Surely, they have a home - they are just "of no fixed abode"?

In law, no fixed abode or without fixed abode is not having a fixed geographical location as a residence, commonly referred to as no fixed address. This is applicable to several groups:

1) People who have a home, but which is not always in the same place:

2) Those whose occupation requires them to live permanently on boats, ships or movable oil platforms, or to travel constantly (as showmen, for example).

Nomadic peoples (e.g. Indigenous Norwegian Travellers and Romanichal) and traveller groups (e.g. Irish Travellers, Scottish Gypsy and Traveller groups, New Age travellers, Norwegian and Swedish Travellers).

3) Individuals who adopt a mobile lifestyle, living in narrowboats, recreational vehicles or the like.

An alternative could be Itinerant :

(Merriam Webster Dictionary definition)

itinerant

adjective

itin·er·ant ī-ˈti-nə-rənt 
: traveling from place to place, especially covering a circuit

44 minutes ago, MtB said:

Is a slug just a snail without a home ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Live aboard and CC  are not necessarily the same thing.

• Greenie 3

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

A trivially small sum plus 75% = still a trivially small sum.

NBTA whining about a small increase in charges for the cheapest accommodation in the UK seems comical. 

If one believes the 75% claim in the first place. Isn't the increase spread out over 5 years or something similarly accommodating?

CRT as usual are bending over backwards to be accommodating, and yet getting slagged off for it. 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 2

Reported on NBW

NBTA said "CRT’s licence surcharge came into effect on 1st April the assciations tells. Unchallenged, the policy will allow CRT to raise licence fees on itinerant boaters in order to price them off the water. "

If C&RT raised all licenses to the level of the surcharge would that price everyone off the water or would the NBTA be happy to be paying same as Home Moorers?

IMO it would be a good idea for C&RT - extra money and less admin headache. 

Edited by Midnight
speeeling

18 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Reported on NBW

NBTA said "CRT’s licence surcharge came into effect on 1st April the assciations tells. Unchallenged, the policy will allow CRT to raise licence fees on itinerant boaters in order to price them off the water. "

If C&RT raised all licenses to the level of the surcharge would that price everyone off the water or would the NBTA be happy to be paying same as Home Moorers?

IMO it would be a good idea for C&RT - extra money and less admin headache. 

As a Home Moorer I'd be entirely happy to pay the same surcharge as CCers and CMers

Provided it made the NBTA STFU. 

My understanding is that, when canals were in their heyday, bargees were paid well enough to afford a house on land for their family, and that it was only later when competition from the railways led to lower wages, that living on board with your family became widespread. So the reference to three centuries of living afloat is arguably not entirely correct.

9 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My understanding is that, when canals were in their heyday, bargees were paid well enough to afford a house on land for their family, and that it was only later when competition from the railways led to lower wages, that living on board with your family became widespread. So the reference to three centuries of living afloat is arguably not entirely correct.

Don't spoil a good story with facts 😁

10 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

So the reference to three centuries of living afloat is arguably not entirely correct.

The boating families lived on their boat because the boat was a working tool; they moved because that was the whole point of the work, not just in order to do the minimum they could get away with. Their 'travelling' was the real thing, but I'm sure the NBTA people don't seriously pay much mind to that - it's just part of the fable they use to get public sympathy with their self indulgent way of life.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

The boating families lived on their boat because the boat was a working tool; they moved because that was the whole point of the work, not just in order to do the minimum they could get away with. Their 'travelling' was the real thing, but I'm sure the NBTA people don't seriously pay much mind to that - it's just part of the fable they use to get public sympathy with their self indulgent way of life.

And, in general, canals were not built to facilitate mooring in at arbitrary 9spots. A boat not moving was a boat not earning.

46 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

And, in general, canals were not built to facilitate mooring in at arbitrary 9spots. A boat not moving was a boat not earning.

And more particularly, a boat not moving was a bloody nuisance to all those that were.