Dear oh dear...

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

That mention of the same distance in half the time implies you would have to be tearing along.  At least that is how it reads to me.

A 20 mile range in six months, so say 40 miles in total.  That's what, about 25 to 30 football pitches per week.  Not too onerous I wouldn't have thought.

• Greenie 2

Licence evasion is going to be a lot of fun for the CRT to deal with. Do they have the capacity to handle it or do they need some gunfighters for this job? 

I think a lot of people know the CRT is in the mire. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Licence evasion is going to be a lot of fun for the CRT to deal with. Do they have the capacity to handle it or do they need some gunfighters for this job? 

I would think licence evading refers to those who don't buy a licence. Those who don't comply with CRT travel requirements get no sympathy from me, particularly those who increase CRT costs by being  pia.

Some people have a very "entitled" attitude.

Edited by LadyG

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think licence evasion is about to get popular. Just a hunch.

I think the CRT should bring back the requirement to display the licence.

There is huge thing near me, that obviously has not moved recently, there is no notice evident, it has a number, no other signs of recent activity. 

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I thought that despite what CRT say it was a requirement in law.

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There is huge thing near me, that obviously has not moved recently, there is no notice evident, it has a number, no other signs of recent activity. 

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You mean they are not moving every 14 days?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I am sure  the requirement to display the  licence was  never removed but not sure  how displaying a license  really makes any difference.

image.png.2725fc9d27e64944f8f4f6f1a6f971d5.png

Moving only once every 14 days is an incredibly generous interpretation of the law IMO. 

I think CRT could easily change it to every day and argue that's what the law requires, with only the occasional 14 day stops (say 4 per year.)

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Moving only once every 14 days is an incredibly generous interpretation of the law IMO. 

I think CRT could easily change it to every day and argue that's what the law requires, with only the occasional 14 day stops (say 4 per year.)

A requirement to move every day seems a bit extreme. Would you apply this to all boats regardless of license type?

3 minutes ago, Lady M said:

It isn't a requirement to move after 14 days, it's a concession that you may stay in one place for up to 14 days, unless signed otherwise.

Such subtle nuances are lost on most boaters looking to swerve paying for a mooring....  ;) 

• Greenie 1

I am not at all convinced that CRT are on top of this.  I know of boats local to me that have massively overstayed their restricted moorings. Here I am paying full price for my lesure mooring and watching them taking the P.  I would love to be a proper continuos cruiser, but for now I’ve a permanent job in a fixed location. That does not work for a proper CC in the spirit of the rules. 

Tell me I am wrong, but CC is not for you. Its for people to enjoy a journey to explore the system. Not to punt around (20 miles a year, seriously) locally just to save paying for a permenant mooring.   Ffs,  this forum is full of people trying to get minimum travel to CC with permanent jobs and even school children. Not what its for. Get a mooring…

Edited by Jak
Cant spell.
  • Greenie 2

I can't believe someone asked that question. Well, actually, yes I can. Take it a step further and they'll be complaining that since 5 miles is a quarter of 20 then why should the range on a three month licence be any more. Just keep buying three month licences and lurk on a short length of sweet stops indefinitely. Then they think that it's ridiculous that that's now how it works. For pity's sake, to get a 20 mile range and 40 of travel in a year, you would have to move the boat less than a mile per week. Even without a working engine it should be possible to bow haul a narrowboat that far.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Such subtle nuances are lost on most boaters looking to swerve paying for a mooring....  ;) 

Yes, well, perhaps that is the point.  Those who see it as 'I have to move after 14 days' may be navigating to avoid paying for a mooring which may not be bona fide.

On 30/01/2024 at 04:18, MtB said:

As a cc’er for 3 years before being forced to sell for health reason we moved every day except when in a marina for work on the boat. 
I think the 14 day requirement is to long except for over winter when maintenance stoppage stops one moving. 
As a side note now back to full health and doing a 15000 to 20000 mile off road camping trip round Australia should take about 6 months. Off grid in the outback of oz instead of the outback of the Leeds and Liverpool lol

• Greenie 3

On 29/01/2024 at 22:48, MtB said:

And those who work from their boat who need to be in one location for wifi etc and obviously can't move every day and can only move on a weekend?

• Angry 1

2 minutes ago, StevieN said:

And those who work from their boat who need to be in one location for wifi etc and obviously can't move every day and can only move on a weekend?

What do you mean cant move?

I used to work in Central London and come home, move the boat, ..in Winter sometimes. 

Next you will be asking what about those who need to walk their dogs twice a day, maybe they shouldnt move until then dog dies?

• Greenie 1