Dry dock for sale

Featured Posts

Dry docks tend to be in heavy demand and are often booked up long in advance for slots of days to up to a few weeks. If you need the hull out of the water for a long time to work on (multi weeks plus) you may be better off with the boat on a hard standing on the bank.

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Dry docks tend to be in heavy demand and are often booked up long in advance for slots of days to up to a few weeks. If you need the hull out of the water for a long time to work on (multi weeks plus) you may be better off with the boat on a hard standing on the bank.

Yes they seem to be very rare and not many about hopefully something will come up as want to expand the business into the annodes and blacking parts aswell as paintjobs 

There are a few boatyards that use an oversized barge as a dry dock. With a door or stop planks at one end, the barge is sunk to allow the boat to be worked on to enter it, the door/stop planks are replaced, water pumped out and you then have a floating dry dock with a boat inside. This may be a realistic option if space allows. 

• Greenie 1

Yes this is what I was thinking. There is one of these just below Denham lock.

It happens on the Thames as well. BJ Woods at Isleworth have a selection of rather large floating dry docks and Bay Wharf at Greenwich have cut in half ships which are flooded then drained. 

Of course if one were using narrow canals it would not work but on the GU one could dock narrow Boats as they do at Denham. 

I wonder what the setup would be if one were to buy land then construct a dry dock at an angle to the canal. Presumably the CRT would ask for a NAA like they do with marinas but there are not moorings because anything in there will be on land. 

It seems to me that given a dry dock is a standard in-demand part of infrastructure people should be encouraged to construct more of them. 

Of course a crane and suitable lifting pad might be easier to arrange. 

And also a crane means one can handle multiple Boats at the same time by using trolleys. 

Uxbridge Boat Centre have it pretty well sorted. A double dry dock and a crane and 3 or 4 trolleys. Very organised. 

15 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I think there was someone looking for a marina to buy on here in the past couple of weeks

3 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Owned by Pete Sullivan who owns the house behind it. Drop a note through his door.

(Also very short - the dry dock, not Pete)

Came very close to buying a house a couple of doors down from him....hes a really interesting chap...had a tour of the dock and tunnels he was digging at the time...would have been around 2008-10...he was thinking of buying the express lift test tower in northampton at the time!

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

Came very close to buying a house a couple of doors down from him....hes a really interesting chap...had a tour of the dock and tunnels he was digging at the time...would have been around 2008-10...he was thinking of buying the express lift test tower in northampton at the time!

Tunnels?

25 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Because who doesn't love digging a hole? Fred Dibnah and pals constructed a pit head and part mine shaft in the years before his death.

Fred West dug a few with his wife too....

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

40 minutes ago, frangar said:

He liked a tunnel....theres a tunnel from the house to the dock....he was thinking of a tunnel to the pub over the road....and had others planned....

I do love that, with all respect to the gent it's completely barking.

42 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Because who doesn't love digging a hole? Fred Dibnah and pals constructed a pit head and part mine shaft in the years before his death.

I don't, I don't claim to be claustrophobic but I don't like tunnels and being enclosed, I would pick a more open eccentricity, tree houses maybe 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Yes this is what I was thinking. There is one of these just below Denham lock.

It happens on the Thames as well. BJ Woods at Isleworth have a selection of rather large floating dry docks and Bay Wharf at Greenwich have cut in half ships which are flooded then drained. 

Of course if one were using narrow canals it would not work but on the GU one could dock narrow Boats as they do at Denham. 

I wonder what the setup would be if one were to buy land then construct a dry dock at an angle to the canal. Presumably the CRT would ask for a NAA like they do with marinas but there are not moorings because anything in there will be on land. 

It seems to me that given a dry dock is a standard in-demand part of infrastructure people should be encouraged to construct more of them. 

Of course a crane and suitable lifting pad might be easier to arrange. 

And also a crane means one can handle multiple Boats at the same time by using trolleys. 

Uxbridge Boat Centre have it pretty well sorted. A double dry dock and a crane and 3 or 4 trolleys. Very organised. 

There's at least one on a narrow canal, Brinklow boat services use one.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I do love that, with all respect to the gent it's completely barking.

Hes a little unique in many ways....apparently that whole site used to be a scrap yard before he brought it and built his house and sold the rest to a developer for the other houses....the owners of the scrapyard once had a bit of hospital equipment in and found one bit really hard to cut...turned out was a block of uranium or similar...and might now be buried on the land somewhere.

The house also has a working periscope....taken from a royal navy sub that he knew was being scrapped....

Was a shame the house we were looking at all fell through cos I think he would have made a great neighbour!!!

• Greenie 1