Dogs on narrowboats. I'd like to speak to someone.

Sloughwriter

Featured Posts

Hi. I'm a 68-year-old disabled writer living and writing in Slough, Berkshire.

I'm currently researching material for an article for 'Dogs Today' magazine about dogs who live aboard a narrowboat. If that's you, please get in touch with me. I'll check back every couple of days. If, in the meantime, you'd like to see examples of my recently previously published work, please click here. Many thanks in anticipation. 

Thats actually a tennis ball, its round and green, gravy bones are brown and sort of bone shaped 😀

on a more general point of interest, does anybody know of a dog that doesn't like gravy bones?

12 hours ago, dmr said:

on a more general point of interest, does anybody know of a dog that doesn't like gravy bones?

I asked my dog if a Labrador is a dog that doesn't like gravy bones for you. She said: "they don't like nuthin'! "

Oh hang on, apparently I've misquoted her - she said "nuthin' they don't like"

On 09/12/2023 at 18:21, Sloughwriter said:

Hi. I'm a 68-year-old disabled writer living and writing in Slough, Berkshire.

I'm currently researching material for an article for 'Dogs Today' magazine about dogs who live aboard a narrowboat. If that's you, please get in touch with me. I'll check back every couple of days. If, in the meantime, you'd like to see examples of my recently previously published work, please click here. Many thanks in anticipation. 

Please don’t think I’m being disrespectful, but I want to ask why is it necessary for you to say your 68?

or come from Slough for that matter.  😃

good link mind 👍cheers,

I learnt a bit skimming though the stuff written. 

15 hours ago, Ray T said:

@Sloughwriter Dogs have long been associated with narrowboats.

Often they helped with obtaining "food" for the pot, as well as being guard dogs. Often boat people were unfairly treated by some on the bank. Dogs were a useful deterrent.

Some pictures:

image.jpeg.c4f1a84159a9c1efe7c14ac3a9fc07e7.jpeg

Bill Taylor (left) with his dogs outside "The Two Boats" Stockton.

The younger man is Jack Skinner on Cedar with Bournemouth moored alongside.    It is at Long Itchington during a stoppage due to repairs at Radford bottom lock in 1958.   Jack's load is spelter, a zinc alloy.     

Edited by Greenpen
Two topics.
  • Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Ray T said:

Often they helped with obtaining "food" for the pot, as well as being guard dogs. Often boat people were unfairly treated by some on the bank. Dogs were a useful deterrent.

Some pictures:

image.thumb.jpeg.ddf371f904a10ca3ca541a4ae9a0f273.jpeg

One of our dogs, Millie, sadly no longer with us.

Whereas Millie loved being on the boat, our current dog does not!

It is taking time but she is now happier on the boat as long as it isn’t travelling!

Sorry that Millie is no longer with us but, given the general state of the towpaths, didn't you find she was the wrong colour/height?;)

image.png.a4cb659a093a52785ac54e397b0f60fb.png

16 hours ago, Ray T said:

Some pictures:

image.jpeg.c4f1a84159a9c1efe7c14ac3a9fc07e7.jpeg

Bill Taylor (left) with his dogs outside "The Two Boats" Stockton.

image.jpeg.7a51f0d277dd1b96991405baee54f9b5.jpeg

Scruff on Joe and Rose Skinner's boat "Friendship" at Oxford.

image.jpeg.1202c6a08190619bd8c13f66107704f0.jpeg

Tim, Eleanor Mitchell's dog on “Lyra.”

image.thumb.jpeg.ddf371f904a10ca3ca541a4ae9a0f273.jpeg

One of our dogs, Millie, sadly no longer with us.

Whereas Millie loved being on the boat, our current dog does not!

It is taking time but she is now happier on the boat as long as it isn’t travelling!

Charlie Collins age 10 Towster 21st Oct 1954 a.jpg

Charlie Collins (10) with dog, 1954.

Please note, I do not hold copyright for any of the B & W photos, they are ones I've found on the web.

I hate to point out lifting them from the internet is breaking copyright.

From the government website:

Photographs, illustrations and other images will generally be protected by copyright as artistic works. This means that a user will usually need the permission of the copyright owner(s) if they want to perform certain acts, such as copying the image or sharing it on the internet.

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Photographs, illustrations and other images will generally be protected by copyright as artistic works. This means that a user will usually need the permission of the copyright owner(s) if they want to perform certain acts, such as copying the image or sharing it on the internet.

That has been pointed out before but there's a lot of people on here with the incorrect view that once a picture is on the internet there's nothing the copyright holder can do about it.  Ray has often said he believes it's ok as he views it as for personal use.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Would you like me to delete them?

Edited by Ray T