Land

Yvonne samosa

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You'd need C&RTS approval to cut thru the bank and use their water to fill your hole.

You are required to provide a full plan of how you will 'do it' and ensure that your 'marina' will not allow the loss of any water.

You may need planning permission because the amount of earth being moved may well be classed as 'work' and, possibly for change of use from (say) agricultural to leisure  &/or residential.

Didn't the Landlord/Owner of the Shady Oak find this out to their cost a few years back?

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Apparently the need to use mechanised, powered equipment (e.g. a JCB) is the dividing line. If I dig it out by hand with a spade and wheelbarrow, no PP would be necessary. 

That is used as a rough indicator, but, according to out local LA Planning Dept, it is actually the volume of earth removed not the means of removal that determines the need for their permission.

We have mobile field shelters (for the horses). These are stables built on skids so they can be moved/towed by a Landy or tractor and being mobile means they do not need PP.

However, put a concrete pad down for them to sit on and you then need permission, as, whilst they are theoretically still mobile, you have now restricted their use to that one location.

Tricky blighters these planning officers.

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

To connect to the canal you'd have to enter into a Network Access Agreement with CRT and pay them 9% of the local going mooring rate. But cheaper than paying them 50% simply for mooring against your own land.

By doing that, you would be giving up rights as a landowner that you have. You can sit on your own land for free, in water that happens to be adjoining the canal's. 

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

By doing that, you would be giving up rights as a landowner that you have.

No I don't think so. Before the NAA, BW required you to hand over the freehold of the water area, so that they could then impose licencing requirements on boats moored there. But that changed under the NAA. The landowner keeps ownership of the water area, and the requirement that moored boats are licenced etc. is now required as a matter of contract.

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

You can sit on your own land for free, in water that happens to be adjoining the canal's. 

Only as long as that water is not connected to CRT's.

47 minutes ago, Higgs said:

But nothing beyond the boundary, into land that wasn't controlled by the waterways authority.

Ransom strips, I think.

I think this is largely urban myth.  I can only speak from my own personal and direct experience of owning a parcel of land with 60m of offside canal frontage. There is no ransom strip. 

who is responsible  for maintaining the 'bank' is not at all clear - CRT try to imply its the landowner (me) except they then try to insist that I submit details and pay them to authorise any work on the bankside.  In my case simply installing wooden decking (not requiring any support from the canal bed or anything like that).  Most of my neighbours just do it/have done it and ignore them. 

1 minute ago, jonathanA said:

I think this is largely urban myth.  I can only speak from my own personal and direct experience of owning a parcel of land with 60m of offside canal frontage. There is no ransom strip. 

who is responsible  for maintaining the 'bank' is not at all clear - CRT try to imply its the landowner (me) except they then try to insist that I submit details and pay them to authorise any work on the bankside.  In my case simply installing wooden decking (not requiring any support from the canal bed or anything like that).  Most of my neighbours just do it/have done it and ignore them. 

Thats interesting. Have you gone through full Land Registry searches to ensure this is the case? 

I can see why the navigation authority would not want bank maintenance problems. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Thats interesting. Have you gone through full Land Registry searches to ensure this is the case? 

I can see why the navigation authority would not want bank maintenance problems. 

I suspect that by requiring NAGs  CaRT and BW before them have confirmed that they own the canal water, so if it impinges on a landowner's land the landowner could legitimately require them to remove it. I suspect BW and the CaRT would decide it was not in their best interest to allow that can of worms to be opened in court. It could end the need for NAGs if CaRT lost the case.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think a landowner on the South Oxford did something similar, except it was his land where BW had allowed the bank to erode back several meters. He deepened it and let it as moorings. BW started to take action and I think a court case ensued. The result was the landowner won, or when BW realised what his argument was backed off, I don't know which it was, but the moorings are still there. My guess is that EoG type charges from CaRT do not apply.

Funny that was discussed on Facebook last week, I think it the land south of Crick on the Offside from the comments I read.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

oh yes very clear on the title deeds that its up to the canal bank and CRT don't dispute that,  just between them and the local LPA they try to impose conditions.  As the LPA consults CRT for any planning application bordering the Canal, don't know if thats a statutory thing or just something particular to my LPA.  

That Canal Cuttings website disappeared a long time ago, and then another popped up to take its place, aggregating properties on the market. You could search by canal, whether it had a mooring, etc. It seems to have gone as well. The woman behind it seems now to be involved with French property sales, but has a list of canalside properties here:

https://www.sheridanparsons.uk/canalside-homes-list-november-2023/

6 hours ago, Sir Percy said:

That Canal Cuttings website disappeared a long time ago, and then another popped up to take its place, aggregating properties on the market. You could search by canal, whether it had a mooring, etc. It seems to have gone as well. The woman behind it seems now to be involved with French property sales, but has a list of canalside properties here:

This one popped up a few years ago:

https://www.watersideproperties.com/properties-for-sale/

I first noticed a scattering of their "For Sale" boards cruising along the Coventry. Boards at the end of the gardens of houses for sale so visible from the cut rather than from the road. 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

This one popped up a few years ago:

https://www.watersideproperties.com/properties-for-sale/

I first noticed a scattering of their "For Sale" boards cruising along the Coventry. Boards at the end of the gardens of houses for sale so visible from the cut rather than from the road. 

Yes, that was the one. Run by the same woman that's produced the list above (linked).

15 hours ago, Yvonne samosa said:

It's my real name!!

You tell them, You are probably on of the 10% who use there real name, I am one of the 90%. Lots of good (and bad) advice on this forum if you stick around. 

This is an separate posting below, not a reply.

I am waiting for someone to post the photo of the boat in the field on the S Oxford, I will see if I can find a copy.

[DSCF0209%255B4%255D.jpg]

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Haha 1

On 30/11/2023 at 09:37, magnetman said:

Also having ones Boat in a dock with the bow sticking towards the waterway seems quite a nice way to be moored.

That's exactly what I had for about seven years. With a lock about 50 yards away it was endless entertainment. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sir Percy said:

Thank you ! but I only want a small plot of land next to a canal to moor our boat! 45ft . to buy or rent .