Which lock?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Trivial question, but it's got me.... and I need to do other things

Article in Waterways World this month telling the stories of some liveaboards and this is one of the illustrations. Unusually I haven't a clue where this lock is, and it's bugging me! 

Anyone know? I'm sure someone on here will! 

Thank you 😊 

20231112_083038.jpg

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Unusual for a lock side to have larssen piles. 

Never knew the proper name. I've always called it crinkle cut piling. Used in recent, as in the last 50 years locks. See, for example the upgraded locks on the S&SYN in late '70's early '80's. Not that that's where the photo was taken, which I don't recognise at all.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/sheffield/sy37.htm

24 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Could it be K&A? One of the former turf-sided locks? I have a vague recollection of having seen Larssen piling there but that would have been 30 years ago.

Alec

I was thinking the same. There are several K&A locks with that weird over-sized piling on the sides instead of the normal brick or stonework.

I was also thinking River Avon but this doesn't fit with the comment they are on their way to their new leisure mooring (presumably to live on!) 

The few clues I'd picked up were the sheet piling, which is found on the Kennet, the upper (Warwickshire) Avon and The Savick Brook. The gates are wooden, and from memory the gates on the upper Avon are all steel, as, I think, are the ones on the Savick Brook, 

and those handrails don't look like CRT'S handiwork. They look like Lower Avon handrails, but all the Lower Avon locks are masonry, concrete block or brick.

I'm reassured that no one has given me a blindingly obvious answer, it means I'm not going daft! But I'd still like to know!

26 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I'm reassured that no one has given me a blindingly obvious answer, it means I'm not going daft! But I'd still like to know!

The big pool in the river section below looks awfully like the K&A at the juntion with Burfield Mill where the river leaves the canal. 

Except there is no lock just there! 

My money is on it turning out to be a K&A lock. Even though I don't recognise the railings on the gates.

46 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

and those handrails don't look like CRT'S handiwork.

And the wooden planking along the top of the piles doesn't look like BW/CRT's handiwork either. The Ribble Link piled locks have a concrete coping along the top. I would suspect that any 'professionally' designed and built lock would have a concrete coping, which suggests this is a volunteer built lock, but where? It's not the Upper Avon, which have distinctive steel balance beams, and most locks also have a footbridge at the downstream end.

Edited by David Mack

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And the wooden planking along the top of the piles doesn't look like BW/CRT's handiwork either. The Ribble Link piled locks have a concrete coping along the top. I would suspect that any 'professionally' designed and built lock would have a concrete coping, which suggests this is a volunteer built lock, but where? It's not the Upper Avon, which have distinctive steel balance beams, and most locks also have a footbridge at the downstream end.

The wooden coping is unusual - and I'm sure I've worked a lock with it. Also the tail gate hand rails look like they're made of scaffolding.

6 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Yes, but that’s the ancient language of the whole of these islands.

Bredon in Worcestershire is named from two ancient words for hill. So you can cruise on the River River past the Hill Hill Hill.

All over what became England, recently arrived Saxons in the fifth century or so asked a recently conquered local "What's that called?"

The answer they got, "That's called a river", or "That's called a hill". 😀