Storm Babet

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Jon57 said:

I predict it won't be as high. Just like my pension fund. Not worth the paper written on. 😬

Railway station at Rotherham flooding already, our highest level is predicted at 11 ish today higher than the previous high climate change anyone? The flood defence was made to protect the railway lines that worked really well didn't it

9 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I agree. The automated EA predicted river levels are really often wrong.

Well the levels are going up like rockets! So I suspect I am in for an interesting day

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Sorry, but I fear you are in for a shock.

The moors are saturated, the rain has another day and a half to come.

I believe Yorkshire will have massive flood problems from this.

Yes, but nearly 2 metres above the previous record high?? That's what I mean about the EA automated predictions often being wrong.

12 hours ago, Midnight said:

Quite worried here in West Yorkshire.  The EA flood prediction for the Calder at Hebden Bridge was 4.5m this afternoon. Last time our Club was flooded the Calder at Hebden Bridge peaked at 3.35m. Predictions are usually overstated but if it get anywhere near it could be serious for boats moored along the Calder.

Hebden Bridge peak prediction now downgraded to 3.46m.

Screenshot_20231020-092224_SamsungInternet.jpg.1ae0a7b6b8098ddbcc86afb4d5441d8a.jpg

1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

Yes, but nearly 2 metres above the previous record high?? That's what I mean about the EA automated predictions often being wrong.

52 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Csn you make sure to post the actual chart after the peak passes so we can compare, please.

Actually I misread the figures. I read that 2.4 metres was the previous record high. I was mistaken, the 2.4 metre reading is the top of the normal range. The previous record for Sheffield Lady's Bridge is 4.47 metres (June 2007) which is round about the predicted level for this afternoon. So it looks like things are looking bad.

But I still stand by my comment that the EA predictions are often wrong. Last January we sat at Shardlow for three weeks closely watching the levels on the Trent and trying to predict when the Cranfleet floodgates would open so we could get back North. The predictions on the EA gauge bore little resemblence to what actually happened a day or so  later. The same thing frequently happens in York and many other places.

I'm on flood monitoring duties for the boat club. So far most of the flood is coming down from the Colne valley. The Calder prediction at Hebden Bridge has been downgraded to 2.55m. If it wasn't for the fluctuating predictions I would be quite relaxed. The data collected from the three previous floods suggests if the current prediction is correct we will be okay. The last time we were flooded out was 2020 the The Calder at Hebden peaked at 3.35m, the ICI Colne at 3.15m.

The Boxing Day Flood of 2015 caused most devastation to boats along the Calder. In 2020 the level was 11" higher at the Club than 2015 but the EA monitoring stations from Brighouse and above showed all were below the 2015 records. Possibly because the flood alleviation schemes up the Calder Valley moved the water quickly down to the Cooper Bridge area and below. This caused the biggest disaster of 2020 at Figure of Three locks.

flood1.jpg

Edited by Midnight
Add image
  • Greenie 1

Marsh lock at Henley on Thames is significant as it is a gauging weir with no overspill. 

Marsh is rising and at the top of the normal range. Nothing special but interesting to see what the next pull will be. I think they might take out a few feet very shortly. 

There was a lot of rain in the night but probably not enough to be a problem for the River. 

Screenshot_2023-10-20-11-26-32-192_com.android.chrome.jpg.2196d6b54baf67451875f7d6a309713e.jpg

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Chucking it down here in Alvechurch.

Glad we scrubbed the idea of going upriver on the Severn.

Doesn't look like you will be heading to Worcester...

Notice Alert

Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

Location: Landslide - Shortwood Tunnel West Portal, Worcester & Birmingham Canal

Starts At: Shortwood Tunnel West Portal

Ends At: Shortwood Tunnel West Portal

Up Stream Winding Hole: Before Bridge 60

Down Stream Winding Hole: Bridge 57 Tardebigge-Old Wharf

Friday 20 October 2023 11:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Vegetation

Original message:

A landslide has caused trees and mud to fall into the canal at Shortwood Tunnel West Portal, on the Worcester & Birmingham Canal. As a result, we have had to close the navigation and towpath along this section.

Our team are on the way to assess the situation. We will provide a further update as soon as we receive one.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

The Calder prediction at Hebden Bridge has been downgraded to 2.55m.

And now downgraded to 1.53m, which is within the Normal range. 

In a day they have reduced the forecast from a record-breaking 4.5m to a damp squib 1.5m. Which suggests the modelling is not up to the task!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

Cloudy but bright here in Nth Devon🤔

Solar producing about 900W 😎

Rain here, but bugger all else. Roads clear just bin tut ospital. Sausage and egg butties were good in the local pub this morning so all is well with the World.

• Greenie 1