What have I done?

Featured Posts

If you don't know, then you've clearly not read it! It's only a problem if you're an AI. A new rule to give us mods leeway to act against users using large language model AI to fill CWDF with nonsense. Leaves more space for humans to fill CWDF with human generated nonsense as usual...

• The use of Large Language Model (LLM) A.I. generated content is not permitted anywhere on CWDF

• Greenie 2

I read that but do not understand  large language model LLM  or the abbreviation A.I. 

I understand AI  but not with full stops.

Plain language and no acronyms or abbreviations would make it much clearer to the oldies on here please.

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I read that but do not understand  large language model LLM  or the abbreviation A.I. 

Plain language and no acronyms or abbreviations would make it much clearer to the oldies on here please.

Large language model artificial intelligences. Computer programs that can generate human sounding text from what they have gathered by scanning training data scraped from the internet and other sources. We have seen several new users that we think are posting using this stuff from a number of places on the planet. We don't know how much of it is automated. It is a relatively new thing that has been affecting other forums too. The purpose of them doing this is unknown. So far it isn't being used to spam the forum. The text reads off, lots of filler text and rather bland. Being factual and relevant to inland boating is open to question.

We don't want it on here because no computer goes boating, is planning to go boating, or has any boating experience, so anything one writes is going to be second hand at best and not contribute to the forum in a useful way.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Am I going to be asked to agree to the conditions every time I log in?

Twice in a row so far.

Not at all. All you need to do is save the "New Content" page in your bookmarks, rather than the Home page, it will then open without the anoying "agreement" page.

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Not at all. All you need to do is save the "New Content" page in your bookmarks, rather than the Home page, it will then open without the anoying "agreement" page.

Well that worked, but I cannot edit my posts now just upload images!! It would be nice if they warned us that they are going to mess about with the site.

Edit now works, what is going on?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

Is agreeing to the rules done by a cookie or is it recorded in the member's database?

I ask because so far I've agreed to it twice on the tablet and once on the phone. Still got three more devices I'm signed on to CWDF to use yet

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It still does not read correctly. there is an "on" missing. If I have to do this every time I am gone from the forum.

Interesting that on a site which is getting increasingly  rule bound the additional rule about AI has not been checked and therefore does not actually appear to make sense!

more proof reading I suggest.

Howard

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Large language model artificial intelligences. Computer programs that can generate human sounding text from what they have gathered by scanning training data scraped from the internet and other sources. We have seen several new users that we think are posting using this stuff from a number of places on the planet. We don't know how much of it is automated. It is a relatively new thing that has been affecting other forums too. The purpose of them doing this is unknown. So far it isn't being used to spam the forum. The text reads off, lots of filler text and rather bland. Being factual and relevant to inland boating is open to question.

We don't want it on here because no computer goes boating, is planning to go boating, or has any boating experience, so anything one writes is going to be second hand at best and not contribute to the forum in a useful way.

I've just reported this post as it seems to fill the criteria contained within it ...

The text reads off, lots of filler text and rather bland.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

That's me. I just scrolled to the bottom and clicked "OK" to get rid of it. 

So you agreed to the organ harvesting clause too? We'll be around shortly for your kidneys.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've just reported this post as it seems to fill the criteria contained within it ...

It's a fair cop guv. I'm an AI. Incidentally, can you tell me where I can find Sarah Conner?

11 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Betty, when you call me, you can call me Al.

(Or, if I'm computer generated, you can put full stops in and call me A.I.)

12 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Large language model artificial intelligences. Computer programs that can generate human sounding text...

We have seen several new users that we think are posting using this stuff from a number of places on the planet....

The text reads off, lots of filler text and rather bland. Being factual and relevant to inland boating is open to question....

So this filter of yours prevents large blocks of bland human-sounding text from being posted? 

Half of the forum will be scuppered by such a thing. 

Still, good to know our Morlock overlords are on the case. 

Jolly good show.

• Greenie 1

Give Jen a break (please)

Some of the recent posts have been nearly a whole screen of information maybe contributing "be careful while charging Lead Acid" or "be sure your boat has dimensions suitable for the waterway".  One or two have mentioned salt water (when the original poster made it clear they were on fresh) etc.

Such posts dilute the genuine membership and their opinions.

The "Accept the T's and C's" (which I've only had to do once, over three devices) is a way of easing the Mod's job - it's not "we don't like what you are posting", it's "you are breaking the T's and C's"

• Greenie 2

Am I the only one who not only fails to understand the posts on this topic from moderators, and bordering on the dismissive? Why do they seem unable to speak in ordinary language?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1