4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

feck

/ (fɛk) /

noun
  1. Scot obsolete

• worth; value

• amount; quantity

• the greater part; the majority

I asked what 'to feck' means so it can't be a noun old boy ;)

12 hours ago, magnetman said:

Smokless fuel was named after the old 'Payless DIY' stores. It doesn't doesn't mean there is no smoke it means there is less smoke. 

It isn't like an engineless boat which has no engine. I believe the word smokeless is often misunderstood..

Also you are allowed to emit smoke when the fire is starting up so it would be very awkward to control. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payless_DIY

This does not mean you don't pay. 

I think Smokeless was named  earlier than Payless stores started. This firm Rexco was making the stuff from the 1930s and the advert for smokeless was from the 1950s. I remember  bags of it in the late 1960s as a youngster. It had a smiley face on them! 

https://www.ourmansfieldandarea.org.uk/content/topics/business/industry/mining/rexco

Edited by Stroudwater1

9 hours ago, M_JG said:

Our Charnwood c5 emits smoke when first lighting.

Once lit with burnwell it emits zero smoke, even when we throw a dry log on to get some flames.

The Guardian's position on this whole stove thing is really quite funny and not a little hypocritical as they have previously published very 'anti' stove articles but only because it was about 'wealthy' people that were installing them.

It's not just the media which can be hypocritical, it's also our government, left and right.

They've shut down the Welsh mine which produces anthracite which has high energy content and is naturally smokeless. Now we'd have to import the stuff if we still want it. That's obviously more environmentally friendly! 🙄

I think the while net zero thing is becoming a joke if all we are doing globally is passing the buck to other poorer countries. Lithium mining is another example of it, just so we can all drive around in 'zero' emission vehicles.

We've all gone mad I tell you.

🤣😕😥😭😞

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

The trouble is....that once one council gets away with it, others will rub their hands with glee and join in..bolstered by canal side dwellers.  😔 

Look at ULEZ

Yes, that looks set to fail if they rely on cameras, is that what you mean?

There is nothing wrong with trying to cut back emissions, I remember the smogs in Glagow, 1960s. Buses had to stop running, we relied on trams. Driving cars with head out of window and dipped headlights.

That was because everyone had a coal fire.

Edited by LadyG

It's all quite bizzare. Most cars- vehicles now go about in broad daylight with lights on, mostly headlights which causes more pollution and reduces the vehicles mpg. Lights and other electrical gizzmo's don't work for free. every time something is switched on the load on the alternator increases, in turn load on the engine increases to drive it, less mpg and more engine emissions. Crazy.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It's all quite bizzare. Most cars- vehicles now go about in broad daylight with lights on, mostly headlights which causes more pollution and reduces the vehicles mpg. Lights and other electrical gizzmo's don't work for free. every time something is switched on the load on the alternator increases, in turn load on the engine increases to drive it, less mpg and more engine emissions. Crazy.

I wonder if that's the case for those driving EV's, what with range anxiety?  😉

The most shocking thing about the craze for Daylight Running Lights on modern cars is the fact that they often only switch on the front lights. People might be confused and use them as sidelights in urban areas where you are meant to turn off main headlights without realising that the red ones at the back are not on. 

I know nobody bothers with using sidelights in the dark in areas with streetlights so maybe its not an issue and a lot of cars have auto headlights anyway. 

1 minute ago, Rambling Boater said:

I wondered about this with the air con on a really hot day. 

2 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

The more gizzmo's swithched on in an electric car lessens it's range. No such thing as power for nothing. Even solar panels are gradually wearing out the sun.    I think.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

The more gizzmo's swithched on in an electric car lessens it's range. No such thing as power for nothing. Even solar panels are gradually wearing out the sun.    I think.

Also wind generators are making the country more windy. Its been going on for a while.

There was no need to farm wind as it was happy in the wild. 

One day we'll all get blown away. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The most shocking thing about the craze for Daylight Running Lights on modern cars is the fact that they often only switch on the front lights. People might be confused and use them as sidelights in urban areas where you are meant to turn off main headlights without realising that the red ones at the back are not on. 

I know nobody bothers with using sidelights in the dark in areas with streetlights so maybe its not an issue and a lot of cars have auto headlights anyway. 

In a way, thank goodness rear lights don't come on some cars which have a ridiculous dazzling display, like approaching the Christmas Blackpool lights.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Also wind generators are making the country more windy. Its been going on for a while.

They will alter the winds movements, slowing it down ect, diverting it and probably have an effect on the barometric pressures.

36 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I thought it was the tree's bending and swaying that causes the wind

46 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Power used for EV propulsion : ~10kW

Power used by LED DRL : ~10W

I leave it to you to work out how much ~0.1% more power consumption is going to reduce range by... 😉

19 hours ago, IanD said:

I leave it to you to work out how much ~0.1% more power consumption is going to reduce range by... 😉

Yes, but the cumulative effect on energy consumption is significant….for instance multiply that figure by 565 million (number of cars in Europe and North America).    

Edited by booke23

39 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I thought it was the tree's bending and swaying that causes the wind

Its actually road vehicles doing it but they don't want us to know. 

55 minutes ago, IanD said:

10kW for an electric car? 

Is this a slow one ?

2 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

|Bare in mind that EV headlights (and the others ) are LED. A/C is a far more demanding load. I far prefer opening my sunroof. The biggest parasitic drain is the heater.  

As to the OP it is interesting to consider how evidence would be gathered.

Traditionally one would use the Ringelmann scale but I wonder if video evidence from a phone camera would now be admissable. 

If you see someone with a clipboard or phone videoing the boat get some shredded road cones on and make smoke. 

IMG_20230924_141401.jpg.9194f6cc9d356d51dd22d9055f00a3a8.jpg

That should clear the blighters!