‘ Ban on wood burners threatens British boat-dwellers with winter freeze’

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Smoke Nazis will turn up.

There are already bin Nazis who want to patrol what other people put into the domestic waste stream. Same thing is bound to happen with smoke from chimneys. 

It could be interesting is someone subject to enforcement decides to push it a bit further and see what happens. 

Ringelmann charts at the ready ! 

Burn coal at night !

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Wood on the other hand, smokes a good proportion of the time if not all the time, as each new log bunged in smokes for an hour while it heats through. And then its done and you need another! 

My fire which has preheated secondary burn tubes makes no smoke at all burning wood after the initial warmup time. I was initially a little alarmed as I do like a bit of smoke especially from dry maple as the smell is so lovely buf once it is going there is no smoke. Like magic. 

Secondary burn innit. Amazing

Over the last ten years or so there have been an increasing number of households who have fitted log/wood burners. The number of these far outweigh the number of boaters burning wood/coal.

Many households have also opened up their old fireplaces. The romantic idea of a glowing fire is very appealing on cold winter nights.

Perhaps these are the real reasons smoke polution has increased. I doubt a few thousand boaters are the cause of the world's climate issues!

I think there is a genuine threat that in the future we all could all be held to ransom by large utility corporations for energy. So be careful what we wish for.

They'll be banning BBQ's next (well,  for the majority of us) 🙄

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Rambling Boater said:

Over the last ten years or so there have been an increasing number of households who have fitted log/wood burners. The number of these far outweigh the number of boaters burning wood/coal.

Many households have also opened up their old fireplaces. The romantic idea of a glowing fire is very appealing on cold winter nights.

Perhaps these are the real reasons smoke polution has increased. I doubt a few thousand boaters are the cause of the world's climate issues!

I think there is a genuine threat that in the future we all could all be held to ransom by large utility corporations for energy. So be careful what we wish for.

They'll be banning BBQ's next (well,  for the majority of us) 🙄

Im my rural village I'd say  out of perhaps 700 houses here, those without a woodburner stove are a rarity. Almost everyone here has one including me. 

I agree with your concern about the large utility companies. This is the real reason for bullying us all into getting smart meters - so they have the ability to cut off the energy to anyone upsetting a future, less benign government than we have now. 

Our Charnwood c5 emits smoke when first lighting.

Once lit with burnwell it emits zero smoke, even when we throw a dry log on to get some flames.

The Guardian's position on this whole stove thing is really quite funny and not a little hypocritical as they have previously published very 'anti' stove articles but only because it was about 'wealthy' people that were installing them.

The Grauniad is a bit of a nuisance in a number of different rather obvious ways. 

One for the fire when the revolution comes. We can't be doing with middle aged women wearing dungarees because they think it is cool. 

It is not cool, it never was cool and no we don't want you so bye bye..

Hopefully ! 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The Grauniad is a bit of a nuisance in a number of different rather obvious ways. 

One for the fire when the revolution comes. We can't be doing with middle aged women wearing dungarees because they think it is cool. 

It is not cool, it never was cool and no we don't want you so bye bye..

Hopefully ! 

You'd never see that on the cut ................................ oooops

See related image detail. WOMEN RUN A BOAT: LIFE ON BOARD THE CANAL BARGE 'HEATHER BELL', 1942 ...

Image result for woman working narrowboats wearing dubgarees

Miss March hold onto a rope as she stands at the tiller on board the ...

• Greenie 1