Alfred Matty

Foggy66

Featured Posts

Its Ben. Built as a motor by Harris Brothers in 1934. Was in T&S Element's livery for a number of years, but has recently been painted in a version of Matty's livery (although my recollection is that the Matty boats were painted more of a primrose yellow than the bright yellow here). According to the link below Ben was never owned by Mattys, although it worked alongside their boats on the Oldbury phosphorous waste run for a while.

https://hnbc.org.uk/boats/ben

• Greenie 1

Recently bought after many years in the Smedleys' ownership. The cabin was very tatty and the new owner needed to get a quick coat of paint on it. He is well aware it was never a Matty's boat, but that was the quickest and  easiest colour scheme to go for until he gets the cabin sorted out properly.

Alec

Edited by agg221
  • Greenie 3

The Lloyds de-cabined Ben mid 80s. 

They ran a saw around at gunnel level, put her in a lock with scaffold poles through the windows, then emptied the lock.

A mere week or two later she was loaded with scrap glass bound for a recycling plant in London.

I remember Shaun saying she was stubbed at the base of the stem due to years of ramming the cill when loaded.

5 hours ago, Morris said:

Please forgive my ignorance and slightly off topic request but would someone be able to fill in the details regarding Alfred Matty's please, like the size of the company and when it was operational? 

If you follow some of the links on this page it will start to put the picture together for you Alfred Matty & Sons Ltd, were Canal Carriers - Google Search

image.thumb.png.b41442377972e0344b6db41b5d9fb5c1.png

5 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Matty's yard was at Coseley not far from the the Boat PH. His various craft were coloured yellow

Some of the above images show the yard.

Must admit I always wondered what was ar the crane yard, it always looked a good spot for putting boats in the water, I didn't realise it use to be their yard

6 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Matty's yard was at Coseley not far from the the Boat PH. His various craft were coloured yellow

Some of the above images show the yard.

Marty's yard was in Biddings Lane Coseley now occupied by Dewsbury and Proud.

Prior to that they were in Willenhall.

Marty's boats were used in the Phosphorus waste contract for Albright and Wilson.

Google 's hat lies beneath the rattlesnake lagoon' for more info - a fascinating read !

Matty's sorry.

'What lies beneath the rattlesnake lagoon' sorry

Rattlechain lagoon - bloody predictive text !

On 22/09/2023 at 22:23, Foggy66 said:

Can anyone shed any light on this boat I spotted whilst out walking today 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e1t0ef0At0kuUOgROSP_vBFA

If you do Facebook this may interest you, an Matty boat in 1983 Facebook

or

Love the Birmingham Canal Navigations, clean it and cruise it!! | Facebook

Edited by ditchcrawler