About rivers?

cj1234

Featured Posts

Perhaps your fear is of the unknown.

I suggest obtaining charts for the Trent . The  chart for the tidal river  is essential.

https://store1204114.ecwid.com/The-Trent-Chart-Series-Non-tidal-Chart-No-1-V-12-p11809296

https://store1204114.ecwid.com/Tidal-Trent-Chart-Series-Chart-No-2-V-16-p11809307

Why not cruise upstream for a few days whilst you get to know the boat and how it handles. Suggest Nottingham to Shardlow and then divert up the Soar  toLoughborough its about 4 days cruising. It willalso allow you to find out about any faults on the boat before you venture on the tidal Trent. You will need life jackets for all on board and an anchor with chain and warp. It would also be a good idea to have a full engine service and have the bottom of the diesel tank sucked out to remove any accumulated water that is in it. Water does get into tanks from condensation and it needs removing annually. A full tank is a good idea when you start out.

A blog to read is https://oleanna.co.uk/

They are experienced boaters and are currently going down the Trent to Keadby

• Greenie 3

Thought you said previously you were putting it in at Bingley?

If your confused to what river your going on, I would stick to your original plan. Have you been on a boat before never mind on a tidal river?

Just done the Trent a couple of times in the last couple of weeks up and down and there has been some big fast tides, you need to know what your doing Keadby way.
 When are you thinking of doing it?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cj1234 said:

What river do I come back on from nottingham to Leeds? I am so confused can someone help 

Use open canal map and canalplan ac 

The Trent is the river that flows  North to the Humber 

To get on to the canals you need to use the manned locks.

These need to be booked in advance.

There is a fb group called trentlink.

I have Boating Association booklets which are maps showing the shoals and the " the Racks "  which are the straight bits .

I am in the area, I'm on the Chesterfield, but I'm single handed, so not really in a position to buddy up.

Edited by LadyG

I've sent a p m , I think they've gone to bed!

Its difficult to know how to help at this time. 

For whatever reason the OP bought a boat, then realised he has bitten off a bit too much for one bite.

Chances are he will get the boat sorted, and he might decide to venture North,  (via Keadby). Thats a fairly long trip, so I'd suggest he might visit West Stockwirh and have a day of rest. I think the entrance is a bit easier.

He could pay a skipper, but the boat has to be reliable for the journey 

Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, cj1234 said:

How is travelling on it? As I am picking a boat up from nottingham and me and my partner are scared to go on it🤣

The Trent is tidal and not a great idea for new boaters. Exiting at Keadby is quite tricky. I suggest you go via the Trent & Mersey, Bridgewater and the Leeds & Liverpool canals

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

The Trent is tidal and not a great idea for new boaters. Exiting at Keadby is quite tricky. I suggest you go via the Trent & Mersey, Bridgewater and the Leeds & Liverpool canals

Especially in a new to you boat. The Trent requires hours of engine running at sustained load and shows up any cooling problems it might have. An overheated engine on a tidal river is not a pleasant experience. Lots of boats do the Trent each year without incident, but there are some right epics too. Not a good place for your first boating experience. Definitely stick to the canals, though there are short lengths of non tidal Trent to negotiate between Beeston and Derwent Mouth and also at Alrewas, which can be dicey in high water and impassible in flood. After you've done this trip, you'll be a boating old hand and more ready to tackle bigger and tidal river stretches.

Jen

• Greenie 3

The river you would come back on from Nottingham to Leeds is the River Trent. Nottingham is situated on the banks of the River Trent, and as you travel north towards Leeds, you would follow the course of the River Trent for a portion of the journey. This river flows through both Nottingham and eventually into the Humber Estuary, which is to the east of Leeds.

9 minutes ago, thomas.simmons said:

The river you would come back on from Nottingham to Leeds is the River Trent. Nottingham is situated on the banks of the River Trent, and as you travel north towards Leeds, you would follow the course of the River Trent for a portion of the journey. This river flows through both Nottingham and eventually into the Humber Estuary, which is to the east of Leeds.

But you wouldn't suggest the Humber or the tidal Trent to inexperienced boaters would you?

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Midnight said:

But you wouldn't suggest the Humber or the tidal Trent to inexperienced boaters would you?

Navigating the Humber Estuary and the tidal section of the Trent can be quite complex and is not recommended for inexperienced boaters. These areas are subject to significant tidal movements and can pose risks to navigation.

If the OP sticks to the inland route it will give him time to get everything working .

Go to a car wash and get three plastic containers,  get as much fuel out the tank from the bottom. Let settle, and transfer till all sediment gone, add maintenance level fuel bug boost, , if happy about tank cleanliness, add max fuel bug boost to remaining tank fuel.. Then return rest of fuel to tank with clean filter. 

Check old fuel filter for the Diesel Bug, use  hacksaw if necessary.

There are fuel syphons on Ebay etc.

Edited by LadyG

32 minutes ago, thomas.simmons said:

Navigating the Humber Estuary and the tidal section of the Trent can be quite complex and is not recommended for inexperienced boaters. These areas are subject to significant tidal movements and can pose risks to navigation.

I'd suggest that this reply has not emanated from a human bean !

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

But the OP would not be going on the Humber Estuary, which officially ends at Trent Falls. Most narrowboats leave the Trent at Keadby and it would make no sense to go to Leeds via the Ouse and Goole, or Selby.

Do we know what length his boat is? It may be too long for Keadby.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

I suggest you go via the Trent & Mersey, Bridgewater and the Leeds & Liverpool canals

Since his boat is 8ft 3in wide that option is not available to the OP.

8 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Do we know what length his boat is? It may be too long for Keadby.

It's 22ft long. So he could go through sideways! (Keadby Lock is 22ft 6ins wide).

Edited by David Mack
  • Haha 3