About rivers?

cj1234

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, cj1234 said:

i will e driving it back with my wife and baby

7 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Is this a wind up?
 You have absolutely no experience, you don't even know what river your going on, never mind knowing the route and your going to risk your wife and baby? 
 Must be a wind up, as no-one will be that irresponsible.

No one has mentioned the Aegir yet on this thread. Higher probability of encountering one this month. https://crowle.org/?p=5059

Just now, LadyG said:

Fine, but when exactly do you expect it? There are twelve days left ths month.

If we are going to discuss this a YouTube video won't  be much help.

In the link above the video, there are some predictions of which tides have higher probabilities of the bore forming. Not something you want to meet in a new to you boat with a baby on board.

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

In the link above the video, there are some predictions of which tides have higher probabilities of the bore forming. Not something you want to meet in a new to you boat with a baby on board.

No probs, I don't have a baby, I m not convinced by the link. I prefer to go back to basics.

I'm intending to go out of the canal on a neaps tide, hopefully minimal fresh, if the forecast is correct there could be two dry days mid week .

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No probs, I don't have a baby, I m not convinced by the link.

The OP has a baby though. The Crowle site have provided regular predictions over quite a few years. Enough time to refine their guesses. See the comments at the bottom of the page for peoples experiences basing their viewing of the phenomenon on the predictions given.

1 hour ago, Ewan123 said:

Is it bad that I see this and think Cor that looks fun

Agreed for a larger boat, but not a 20 footer that is new to you. However, I assume it has a proper boaty hull, so should lift on the wave better than a narrowboat. However, how the wife would react as it pitched up at the front is open to question.

I suppose by doing it in two legs the OP would be on outgoing tides, so meeting the Ager will be about zero but with the enhanced chances of running aground.

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Agreed for a larger boat, but not a 20 footer that is new to you. However, I assume it has a proper boaty hull, so should lift on the wave better than a narrowboat. However, how the wife would react as it pitched up at the front is open to question.

Yes that's true. In my 62' narrowboat I think it would be fun going downstream against it, if it went smoothly. I can see it going very badly though.

Edited by Ewan123

2 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

Yes that's true. In my 62' narrowboat I think it would be fun going downstream against it, if it went smoothly. I can see it going very badly though.

My guess is that most narrowboats would go straight through the wave and hardly lift at all, but throw spray etc. to the sides. It certainly did when I was approaching Gainsborough and a fast cruiser past far too close for comfort going the other way.

18 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

My guess is that most narrowboats would go straight through the wave and hardly lift at all, but throw spray etc. to the sides. It certainly did when I was approaching Gainsborough and a fast cruiser past far too close for comfort going the other way.

Hmmm our Wash experience last May would suggest a narrowboat can roll and pitch like an atlantic trawler. 😱

• Happy 1