Lock landings & Water points!!

Quattrodave

Featured Posts

What is it with people who moor on lock landings and water points when they're not using the lock or water point?!

Yesterday:

'Excuse me, are you using the water point?' (When clearly not!)

'What water point?' (The one with the massive sign behind you!!)

A couple of days ago:

'Hi, hello, yeah you, are you using the lock?'

'No, we're having some lunch.'

(So get off the lock landing dumb ass!)

Edited by Quattrodave
  • Haha 1

Where people do this, simply use their boat as the "bank".

Tie up to them, then clamber across in the way most convenint to you.

I feel sure that if everybody did this, they would soon get the message.

• Greenie 4

First of all remember that someone has provided you with free fendering which protects the CRT piling and they will ensure that you remain in the deeper water. There is therefore no need to arrive alongside gently.

I also find that when  clambering across it is important to time your steps. It is best to synchronise them with the natural rolling of the moored boat.

N

• Greenie 2

On many locks, using the lock landing is pretty slow, there are better/quicker places to put the boat. So a boat on a lock landing really isn't a bother to me. Sometimes it takes a little more to wiggle round them, sometimes that involves 2800rpm of engine power.....

Hahahahahaha oh I so wish it had the bottle to do that!!

Although if you'd have seen the state of the family and possibly more to the point, the boat at the water point, well, the boat may well have sank whilst I was moored along side it....

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

And if it is a water point make sure you inadvertently have the hose pipe pointing towards their boat when you run water through it before putting it in your tank.

When you have finished filling, park the hose in their diesel filler whilst you go to turn the tap off so that you don't flood the canal.

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

On many locks, using the lock landing is pretty slow, there are better/quicker places to put the boat. So a boat on a lock landing really isn't a bother to me. Sometimes it takes a little more to wiggle round them, sometimes that involves 2800rpm of engine power.....

On a canal I'd agree with you but I spend most of my time on rivers, very often the lock landing is the only place to moor...

Just completed a 2 month trip and it’s common practice now for people to moor at winding holes, lock landings and water points.

If you have a wide beam you can moor on tight bends, at bridges and where vegetation obstructs the width of the canal.

came across one that had moored in a winding hole for a couple of days. Whilst they went off on a train.

(might have been an emergency I don’t know)

it’s just the norm and something you have to work round using some of the suggestions already posted.

Quite often now we have to ask people not to moor across the marina entrance, as there are lots of boat movements most days(workshop, private moorers and Rugby Boats all use the basin moorings and services.)

One recent boat arrivedmid afternoon, seemed to be in a rush, I shouted over, and they said,"there arent any signs saying we cant", I said, boats need to get I  and out of the marina, so.." we are off shortly"

I went back to work, expecting it to be gone shortly...

They meant off, completely, leaving boat there. 

Next day, we had to drop a boat back to High House(now Willows), the boat across the marina disappeared at the same time and apparently moored half way, in a nice safe spot in the way of no body. It was quite funny a week after when the two chaps came back for their boat.

🙂

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

And if it is a water point make sure you inadvertently have the hose pipe pointing towards their boat when you run water through it before putting it in your tank.

From one of the Minions films:

Gru: "Sorry. I did not see you there. Or there."

😃

I wouldn't mind so much if those mooring on a lock landing did so close up to the lock. It's those who moor on the end or in the middle making it difficult to get around them onto the remaining bit of landing who get my goat. In the past when I have moored alongside I would say I had more protests than welcomes. Then there's the fishermen sat on the lock and bridge landings with keepnet in water  - . Midnight 3 v 0 fishermen

1 hour ago, Quattrodave said:

A couple of days ago:

'Hi, hello, yeah you, are you using the lock?'

'No, we're having some lunch.'

(So get off the lock landing dumb ass!)

About three weeks ago a day boat went down through the lock ahead of me, winded came back up to moor on the lock landing for their lunch, all with the assistance of a Volockie .

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

I wouldn't mind so much if those mooring on a lock landing did so close up to the lock. It's those who moor on the end or in the middle making it difficult to get around them onto the remaining bit of landing who get my goat. In the past when I have moored alongside I would say I had more protests than welcomes. Then there's the fishermen sat on the lock and bridge landings with keepnet in water  - . Midnight 3 v 0 fishermen

Last bollard is ok in my book to moor if your lucky to have the depth. Even getting to the lock landing is blessings at some places.🤣

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Where people do this, simply use their boat as the "bank".

Tie up to them, then clamber across in the way most convenint to you.

I feel sure that if everybody did this, they would soon get the message.

I have done that on about three occasions and every time the people on the boat have been most apologetic, one saying he wasn't paying attention to where he moored and please dont tell anyone or he would never live it down.
I actually did it my self this week at Minworth, the tank was full before we finished lunch, but the odds of seeing a boat were very low.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Last bollard is ok in my book to moor if your lucky to have the depth. Even getting to the lock landing is blessings at some places.🤣

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion (as dyed-in-the-wool K&A boater) as the whole of the lock landing is still available to a 71 footer arriving. Unless they are dead coy about sharing a bollard.

I do it regularly on the Oxford and Coventry and I notice other boaters beginning to copy me. 

11 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Lock landing, pah, when I was young, we used to have to moor on a floating septic tank , jump 140 feet over the continuous moorers, and fill the lock by peeing in it as British Waterways had sold all the paddles to the Geermans.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Over here on the Great Ouse system only the services at a few places are reserved for those using those services. So most of us have very long hoses.

And you get used to asking and being asked, though I haven't threatened to breast up to a cruiser yet!

Think my favourite is the one on the Nene which is both a very short lock landing and a water point. Which inevitably means the only other boat you see all day is stopped there taking up the full length of the only bit that isn't reeds.

tbh most of the time I see people moored on lock landings they're inclined to help...

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Lock landing, pah, when I was young, we used to have to moor on a floating septic tank , jump 140 feet over the continuous moorers, and fill the lock by peeing in it as British Waterways had sold all the paddles to the Geermans.

Well I was lucky to be able to moor anywhere at first. But I’m a fast learner by watching the old hands.🤣👍 and I’m able to moor in most places 👍

21 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I wouldn't mind so much if those mooring on a lock landing did so close up to the lock. It's those who moor on the end or in the middle making it difficult to get around them onto the remaining bit of landing who get my goat.

A boat waiting to go through a lock usually moors close to the lock, allowing room for a later arrival to queue behind. So it follows that if one is on a lock mooring and not intending to go through immediately, one should moor at the end furthest from the lock to allow space for a boat which is going through.

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Luxury!!
When I wer a lad we moored on a dead cow jumped 300ft over sunken tupperware boats and had to fill the lock with sawdust cos there wern't no water.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A boat waiting to go through a lock usually moors close to the lock, allowing room for a later arrival to queue behind. So it follows that if one is on a lock mooring and not intending to go through immediately, one should moor at the end furthest from the lock to allow space for a boat which is going through.

No! One should not moor on the lock landing for lunch.

15 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Luxury!!
When I wer a lad we moored on a dead cow jumped 300ft over sunken tupperware boats and had to fill the lock with sawdust cos there wern't no water.

How about afternoon tea?🙂

15 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Luxury!!

Ok supper then🤣