Mooring pins : steel

Lump Hammer

Other stuff of plastic.

Is it best to buy a Dynmo

Or use masking tape with a Sharpie pen.

I have a Dremel

I've lost one windlass and one pin  in three years

Edited by LadyG

If you use Dynmo or other kind of print label attached to your chosen object then if it is appropriate, over lay it with transparent heatshrink tubing. 

It still wont stop it from being mislaid or stolen though 😁

I have in the past bought sets of hardened steel number and letter punches in different sizes from Screwfix and Toolstation. 

You might have a job marking the head of a hammer, but punches will work on aluminium, plastic,  and wooden handles, and the impressions can be inked in with a Sharpie for better visibility and then  varnished for protection.  I use punches on wood when pre-fabricating  timberwork  to ensure the pieces are assembled correctly.

A caving club and a cave rescue team I'm a member of use Tough Tags. They survive what is a notoriously destructive environment. Waterproof and very abrasion resistant stick on tags with whatever details you want printed. Reasonable price. You won't be able to place an order till August however. Family firm and real life intruding. No other connection to them other than as a user.

• Happy 1

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I'd like to mark some kit.

Why?

Is it because you've had arguments with other boaters about whose hammer, windlass etc it is?

Or do you need to label things because you forget what they are? 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

3mm drill and put a series of holes through the item. 

I did a windlass once by drilling little craters with an 8mm drill and filling the holes with paint to match the colours of the boat I had at the time. 

Still have that windlass but not the boat.

IMG_20230624_095006.thumb.jpg.4f1fddacbedb3766264d9eb4e10077c1.jpg

• Greenie 1

If the marking looks too perfect anyone thinking of stealing it might think it's part of the manufacturer's design. I have a friend who slaps paint onto things like bicycles really badly so that they become completely undesirable to thieves (or anyone else). His stuff looks terrible but it never gets stolen. However I'm not sure how a windlass gets stolen? Surely you're either using it or it's in the boat? If you leave it out on deck or on the roof then like anything else eventually it will walk regardless of little spots of paint, engraving, etc. Thieves don't hang around for long enough to observe small details like that and once it's gone it's gone.

Edited by blackrose

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If the marking looks too perfect anyone thinking of stealing it might think it's part of the manufacturer's design. I have a friend who slaps paint onto things like bicycles really badly so that they become completely undesirable to thieves (or anyone else). His stuff looks terrible but it never gets stolen. However I'm not sure how a windlass gets stolen? Surely you're either using it or it's in the boat? If you leave it out on deck or on the roof then like anything else eventually it will walk regardless of little spots of paint, engraving, etc. Thieves don't hang around for long enough to observe small details like that and once it's gone it's gone.

Paint it pink with thousands of one's mixed in. 😁

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

I did a windlass once by drilling little craters with an 8mm drill and filling the holes with paint to match the colours of the boat I had at the time. 

Tiny floor boards ? or a massive windlass?

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Sorry to hear about your boat being stolen, still the thieves leaving the windlass is a bit of luck :)

• Haha 3