I’m back, but what next?

Featured Posts

Hellooo 👋 

I posted here late last year asking about which way to go round the Avon Ring and where we should stop and the replies were so helpful… we had a lovely holiday (ABC Boat) and LOVED every second. This was our second family canal adventure: me, him, a puppy and a toddler! 

We want another adventure and this community was so helpful last time I thought I would come back and ask for your advice again! 

So if you had 14 nights at the middle - end of July where would you go? 

We did the Avon Ring last time in 10 nights (with an extra day spent in the Stratford Basin due to weather) and then Windsor and return before that…. 

There is still loads of boat availability from most ABC locations so we’re open to ideas! 

Can the Grand Ring be done in 14 nights? 

Or the Stourport Ring? 

lots of love xx 

• Greenie 1

4 counties ring with a diversion up the Caldon for a couple of days, ABC are a bit off the ring at Anderton. You could try Napton Narrowboats at Autherley junction or Andersen at Middlewich both have excellent boats.

The Cheshire ring is good and has a variety of city, rural and suburban landscapes. 14 days make it leisurely progress mostly and if you have time or wish to make the effort a detour down to Buxworth basin is fun on the Peak Forest Canal.

One thing to be aware of is that some of the canals on the ring like the Macclesfield can suffer from lack of water and so locks have restricted opening times these days. It will need to be taken into account when planning.

Edited by churchward

25 minutes ago, Richard T said:

4 counties ring with a diversion up the Caldon for a couple of days, ABC are a bit off the ring at Anderton. You could try Napton Narrowboats at Autherley junction or Andersen at Middlewich both have excellent boats.

ABC operate out of Kings Orchard as well now so not that far up to Great Haywood to pick up the Four Counties.

27 minutes ago, Richard T said:

I agree, probably the most diverse route for a 14 day holiday, lovely rural scenery, a bit of urban, lock flights, including a staircase, a long tunnel and a couple of shorter ones.

Depends where you want to start.  The Thames , Oxford, GU.ring is doable in a fortnight.  ABC have a base at Gayton, UCC at Braunston, Wyvern at Leighton and several others in the Oxford.

If you want Midlands rings the suggestions above are good, especially if you go via Droitwich on the Stourport ring.

N

24 minutes ago, churchward said:

The Cheshire ring is good and has a variety of city, rural and suburban landscapes. 14 days make it leisurely progress mostly and if you have time or wish to make the effort a detour down to Buxworth basin is fun on the Peak Forest Canal.

One thing to be aware of is that some of the canals on the ring like the Macclesfield can suffer from lack of water and so locks have restricted opening times these days. It will need to be taken into account when planning.

Given the lock restrictions at Marple and Bosley the Cheshire ring is not a sensible solution for this year.

• Greenie 1

Yeah can't really recommend the Cheshire Ring for the above reasons. 4 counties ring is a good suggestion though - and the Caldon, if you have time, is worth it too. The steam train is worth trying to get to see.

If not Caldon, then you could do the 4CR + Anderton lift and a bit of the Weaver.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Given the lock restrictions at Marple and Bosley the Cheshire ring is not a sensible solution for this year.

That's why I mentioned the restrictions but it is a good ring to go around all the same and a reasonable choice.  The locks have restricted times they are not currently closed so it is possible to pass through if you plan the journey right and many will do just that.

13 hours ago, Paul C said:

If not Caldon, then you could do the 4CR + Anderton lift and a bit of the Weaver.

I'd also recommend the four counties and the Weaver. The Weaver is much under-rated but is a lovely river, comparable to the Thames in parts (but much quieter). Hire from Anderton, do the 4 Counties ring first, then you will know exactly how much time you've got left over to spend on the Weaver.

On 22/06/2023 at 20:24, churchward said:

That's why I mentioned the restrictions but it is a good ring to go around all the same and a reasonable choice.  The locks have restricted times they are not currently closed so it is possible to pass through if you plan the journey right and many will do just that.

I've heard a rumour (supposedly 2nd-hand from someone in CRT) that Marple will be closed fully from July 12th until some significant rain appears.

If you do the Caldon the Black Lion in Cheddleton is better than the Black Lion in Consall. The food in The Flintlock Cheddleton (canalside) is really excellent - but you will pay a lot for it (it's worth it). 7 course meals.

Edited by mark99

• 4 weeks later...

Update……. 

evening!!! We are aboard our hire vessel this evening but haven’t moved off yet because we still cannot decide which way to go! 

we have 14 nights (13 now) starting at Aldermaston…. 

We either go East and visit Bath 

OR 

West to Limehouse Basin 

Something about visiting London on the canal speaks to me : but I’m also a fan of peace and tranquility which I know the Bath option will give me! 

Will one be more busy than the other? 

Is it easy to find overnight mooring in London? 

will it ever stop raining? 

London via the Thames requires a separate boat license (EA rather than CRT), is that covered by your hire company? You'll also need an anchor etc.

You could add Oxford (and perhaps a bit further, Lechlade or Banbury) to your possibilities.

Any kind of mooring is hard to come by in London - all available towpath space is semi-permanently occupied, often two abreast.

CRT are introducing pre-bookable visitor moorings in Little Venice, other locations to follow if successful, but I don't think that's in action yet.

People do go there, so it must be possible to moor somehow!

For myself London would be at the bottom of almost any list of options - but if it appeals, it could be the right choice for you.

49 minutes ago, MumHunOnTheCanal said:

Update……. 

evening!!! We are aboard our hire vessel this evening but haven’t moved off yet because we still cannot decide which way to go! 

we have 14 nights (13 now) starting at Aldermaston…. 

We either go East and visit Bath 

OR 

West to Limehouse Basin 

Something about visiting London on the canal speaks to me : but I’m also a fan of peace and tranquility which I know the Bath option will give me! 

Will one be more busy than the other? 

Is it easy to find overnight mooring in London? 

will it ever stop raining? 

London is fine although going down to Limehouse you may find a challenge. When we came through in June I was surprised to find it's not all nose to tail, two abreast boats. On fact I spotted quite a few places we could have moored along the GU. We opted for the bookable moorings in Paddington basin which I can recommend but there were occasional vacancies on the visitor moorings opposite. If your hire boat is licensed for the Thames going upstream from Reading is a good option. The lock keeper at Abingdon suggested boat numbers were down by as much as 50%. The upper Thames (Isis) is very tranquil and very pretty and so far moorings haven't been a problem. 

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

If you follow those directions you may not end up where you expect...

Ahahahaha 😂😂😂 I realise what I’ve done!!! I was tired!! 😂😂😂😂

6 hours ago, Timx said:

Considering your starting point, I would choose towards bath, particularly if it’s still raining down there.

It is still raining 🥹

9 hours ago, Francis Herne said:

London via the Thames requires a separate boat license (EA rather than CRT), is that covered by your hire company? You'll also need an anchor etc.

You could add Oxford (and perhaps a bit further, Lechlade or Banbury) to your possibilities.

Any kind of mooring is hard to come by in London - all available towpath space is semi-permanently occupied, often two abreast.

CRT are introducing pre-bookable visitor moorings in Little Venice, other locations to follow if successful, but I don't think that's in action yet.

People do go there, so it must be possible to moor somehow!

For myself London would be at the bottom of almost any list of options - but if it appeals, it could be the right choice for you.

Morning Francis

Tidal Thames is covered - if we decide we’re going that way this morning they’ll sort out the licenses etc! 

Thank you 🙏  and apologies for my tired mind east west 😂

I’m still so torn - but it seems the 5 year old would like to go to London! 

wish me luck 🍀 😂

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

By the time you reach the Thames you will have experienced the locks of the K&A, and then you can enjoy the magnificent river. 

Thanks Tigger! 

we went as far as Windsor last year, but I think inner city London is going to be a whole different experience! 

The K&A is very pretty but can be hard work at times.

If you intend to visit Limehouse check with the hire company. Their boat license usually covers the Thames as ABC have gold licences on the Aldermaston boats. 

They may insist you go via Brentford & Paddington as the Port of London have put restrictions on hire boats using the tidal section from Brentford to Limehouse. 

If London is high on your list you could always get to the Thames and do a day trip by train.

The clipper boats do a day hop on hop off roamer ticket so you could get a boat fix that way.

whatever you decide have a great holiday.