What Three Words - For the dinosaurs here :)

Richard10002

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have never seen a map with app the names on it, if there was one I dont know how you would find the right square 

If you have a mobile phone to call in an emergency on, the same phone can have the w3w app installed -- and it knows where you are. No need for a map.

And before someone says "What if I don't have a phone signal so the app doesn't work?" -- well then you won't be calling an ambulance, will you? 😉

1 minute ago, IanD said:

If you have a mobile phone to call in an emergency on, the same phone can have the w3w app installed -- and it knows where you are. No need for a map.

And before someone says "What if I don't have a phone signal so the app doesn't work?" -- well then you won't be calling an ambulance, will you? 😉

I know, it wasn't me who suggested you needed a map.

7 minutes ago, IanD said:

The phone will use another network for a 999 call but may not provide an internet connection.

There may be nothing at all for example when one falls into a manhole and ends up 16 feet below ground level  but other than that and the obvious falling down a power station chimney thing (as one does) in some cases a phone can still make a 999 call without a connection on its sim authorised network.

Trapped in a fuel tank.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have never seen a map with app the names on it, if there was one I dont know how you would find the right square 

Have you tried the W3W app?

It has a map with squares, along with the words. I can click on a square in front of our house, and up pop the words.

23 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I know you weren't, but there is so much ignorant anti-metric invective on here that it needed pointing out. 

The metric system is here to stay, thank goodness. A coherent set of units makes so much sense.

'diameter' is not a metric concept - pre-dates by nearly two millennia, I think.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

I prefer 12 as it is more divisible.

Its like 24 hours in a day and 360 degrees in a circle. Its isn't rocket science to work out why this was decided on bearing in mind people were using their brains and not machines to do the calculations.

You can knock numbers down much faster in your head if they are not based on ten.

12 is the classic example.

Divisible by 12,6,4,3 and 2.

10 is not so useful.

Divisible by 10,5 and 2.

I'll give 12 a 2:1 advantage over 10.

12 inches makes a foot

3 feet make a yard

22 yards make a furlong

10 furlongs make a mile

What could be simpler than that?  It only gets confusing when you introduce rods, roods, poles and perches.

Only 8 furlongs to the statute mile! 

Although I understand that Ireland used to have 10 furlongs to their Irish mile, which meant that 1 Irish mile was almost exactly 2 km, making the conversion of the distances on their sign posts that took place  circa 1990 a very simple matter of doubling the old figures. 

I remember that, during the move to metric in the early 1970's, the first metric  catalogue produced by a US-based electronics component manufacturer for the UK market had had all the inch dimensions converted to mm by multiplying by 25.4. Unfortunately they also carried out  the same multiplication on the physical  constants in their page of formulae and useful data, giving pi the value 79.79. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tacet said:

12 inches makes a foot

3 feet make a yard

22 yards make a furlong

10 furlongs make a mile

What could be simpler than that?  It only gets confusing when you introduce rods, roods, poles and perches.

What could be simpler is something that's correct... 😉

22 yards make a chain

10 chains make a furlong

8 furlongs make a mile

11 minutes ago, Tacet said:

12 inches makes a foot

3 feet make a yard

22 yards make a furlong

10 furlongs make a mile

You missed out chains, but I see you have now corrected it.

22 yards to a chain

10 chains to a furlong

8 furlongs to a mile.

Your omission just went to show what a stupid system it was.

Edited by Machpoint005

I was told there was a UK/French project to build jet fighters but someone along the line decided a foot was ten inches. One wonders if there was something gender related going on. 

Might be a made up story but seems plausible given the metric system's fixation on the number 10. 

44 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

'diameter' is not a metric concept - pre-dates by nearly two millennia, I think.

Who said it was? 

I'm not sure what system the Ancient Greeks used (maybe cubits) but it was more than 2000 years ago.

Edited by Machpoint005
Sp.

If one had enough of a workforce it seems to me that measuring would not be needed. You get them to make it at the time and trim it to size if it is too big. 

Stone Henge is a classic example. The wood constructions set up to help get the stones in place before the fires did not need a tape measure. They just got it done by force of numbers. 

A good model for the CRT

30 minutes ago, Tacet said:

................10 furlongs make a mile

It would be simpler if you got it correct .......................

(Hint : there are not 10 furlongs in a mile)

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You missed out chains, but I see you have now corrected it.

22 yards to a chain

10 chains to a furlong

8 furlongs to a mile.

Your omission just went to show what a stupid system it was.

No It just shows someone who was not educated in the system.

You cannot blame "the system" if 'you' post date its demise !

1 hour ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I remember that, during the move to metric in the early 1970's, the first metric  catalogue produced by a US-based electronics component manufacturer for the UK market had had all the inch dimensions converted to mm by multiplying by 25.4. Unfortunately they also carried out  the same multiplication on the physical  constants in their page of formulae and useful data, giving pi the value 79.79. 

Some years ago I was working with London Underground archive drawings. The older drawings were in imperial measurements, and to avoid negative numbers, the convention was that heights of track, platforms, tunnels etc are given in feet above a datum 100 feet below sea level (I.e a feature 20 feet below sea level is given a height of 80 feet). Similarly, on the later metric drawings heights were given in metres above -100m. Buy there were also a few old drawings which had been redrawn with all the imperial dimensions changed to metric. So the heights were measured in metres relative to a datum of -30.48 metres!

"Chainage" on road construction systems is, I believe, reckoned in 100s of metres.

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

>> No It just shows someone who was not educated in the system.

You cannot blame "the system" if 'you' post date its demise !

I'm just happy that you refer to the "demise" of the system. If you post-date its demise (and I don't) then why use it at all?

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

"Chainage" on road construction systems is, I believe, reckoned in 100s of metres.

I'm just happy that you refer to the "demise" of the system. If you post-date its demise (and I don't) then why use it at all?

I was educated using imperial measurement , (and £sd).

The 'numbers' and their 'multiplyers' are as natural as breathing.

15th Feb 1971 was a dark, dark, day for the UK

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

As for the aviation industry ..  we've had the discussion about silly drill sizes on this forum before.

I can never be arsed working out if 19/32 is bigger or smaller than 11/16. Put the measurements into mm and it's obvious. 

Easy, all you need do is double the top and bottom value of 11/16 to see 22/32 is bigger than 19/32.

I would rather work in mm though.