What Three Words - For the dinosaurs here :)

Richard10002

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Shirley it could also be brackets (   ) or even a C

C'mon don't just do half-a-job !!

It couldn't be C. C denotes the speed of light, which we all know is 299 792 458 m / s, far from zero.

Edited by rusty69
  • Horror 1

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well I wouldn't take anything on Wiki as 'gospel' it is just written up and posted by anyone and there are no checks and balances.

You are correct that there is a school of thought that it is 'undefined' but equally there is a school of thought that it is 'defined'.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are correct that there is a school of thought that it is 'undefined' but equally there is a school of thought that it is 'defined'.

Indeed, which is what I had in mind when I predicted 100 posts quibbling about it. 

Up to 13 so far! 

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well I wouldn't take anything on Wiki as 'gospel' it is just written up and posted by anyone and there are no checks and balances.

Any number -- positive or negative, real or imaginary or complex, including zero -- divided by itself gives a result of 1 (identity theorem).

The fact that most computers throw a fit when given this task simply means they flag "divide-by-zero" as an error, without knowing the special case of "zero/zero=1".

14 😉

Edited by IanD

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Any number -- positive or negative, real or imaginary or complex, including zero -- divided by itself gives a result of 1 (identity theorem).

The fact that most computers throw a fit when given this task simply means they flag "divide-by-zero" as an error, without knowing the special case of "zero/zero=1".

14 😉

A circular argument if I may say, given we are quibbling about whether 0 is a number in the first place. 

Just now, MtB said:

A circular argument if I may say, given we are quibbling about whether 0 is a number in the first place. 

Zero is certainly a number, according to mathematical theory. But it is a "special" number, because the results of calculations using it can be undefined.

14 hours ago, Jerra said:

Out here in the Lakes, you can be metres away at times and not see the person/object for weather/terrain type reasons and I am not just talking about up in the fells.

Long time ago, back when affordable bright waterproofs were just becoming available I was out with the Lakes National Parks Head Warden.  He was talking to the group about the need for bright clothing and asked one of the party to go and lie down while he closed his eyes and turned his back.  The person was not in bright clothing and was no more than 5 or 6 metres away.  He couldn't point to him when he turned round.

So there you are injured you send the emergency services the w3w ref and lapse into unconsciousness.  There is a good possibility they will say to themselves "its like that case Keswick MRT had", the casualty was 3 miles as the crow flies from the coordinates.

Can you suggest a more accurate way to pinpoint your position when you are laying there ?

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

PLB

I was going to suggest this, but in every previous discussion of this topic I get shouted down and told "we are not on the ocean".

Few seem to know that a few years ago, because they had proven so usefull, the law was changed to allow their use 'on land'.

Once purchased there are no subsequent costs involved (no rental, no SIM) only a new battery every 6 years.

Leatlet details.jpg

Screenshot (1197).png

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was going to suggest this, but in every previous discussion of this topic I get shouted down and told "we are not on the ocean".

Few seem to know that a few years ago, because they had proven so usefull, the law was changed to allow their use 'on land'.

Once purchased there are no subsequent costs involved (no rental, no SIM) only a new battery every 6 years.

Leatlet details.jpg

Screenshot (1197).png

However, if pinpoint accuracy is required, perhaps a PLB is not enough. Maybe you need to carry a weather balloon/ fog horn/whistle and flare for when you hear boots on the ground close to your location.

If you are unable to activate such a device, just pray your resuers have a St Bernard with them.

It must be much better to end one's life in a pleasant location rather than on a hospital bed with god knows what being pumped in to your veins and oxygen masks and cpr and you still die anyway. 

Can you tell I have a DNR wristband ?

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

However, if pinpoint accuracy is required, perhaps a PLB is not enough. Maybe you need to carry a weather balloon/ fog horn/whistle and flare for when you hear boots on the ground close to your location.

If you are unable to activate such a device, just pray your resuers have a St Bernard with them.

A PLB will get the rescuers to within 20 metres (often much better) using the 406Mhz signal & GPS location, and then using the 121.5 VHF homer beacon it can get the rescuers to within 'single figure' feet. It also has a flashing SOS light to aid rescue in darkness.

Once you've 'pushed the button' anywhere in the world the nearest SAR facility is informed and the helicopters can be in the air in 5 minutes.

We have one each which we use for Hiking, Horse riding, Boating and Diving. 

They are waterproof to 1atm (10 metres) but I keep mine in a pressure resistant carrier so it will still be OK deeper when subject to higher pressures.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A PLB will get the rescuers to under 20 metres (often much better) using the 406Mhz signal & GPS location, and then using the 121.5 VHF homer beacon it can get the rescuers to within 'single figure' feet. It also has a flashing SOS light to aid rescue in darkness.

Once you've 'pushed the button' anywhere in the world the nearest SAR facility is informed and the helicopters can be in the air in 5 minutes.

We have one each which we use for Hiking, Horse riding, Boating and Diving. 

They are waterproof to 1atm (10 metres) but I keep mine in a pressure resistant carrier so it will still be OK deeper when subject to higher pressures.

How does it work when diving if you get caught on something? The signals won't go through water. 

Did you mean driving? 

Or do you disconnect it from yourself and let it go to surface and assume those who come and look know you are below it. 

Is it connected by a cord? 

By the way it is "riding" not "horse riding". 

I think the last word was meant to be driving not diving. 

One of the most dangerous activities most people do is driving so very sensible to carry a PLB

I bet this geyser wished he had one 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/google-earth-missing-man-body-lake-discovered-florida-grand-isles-william-moldt-a9103566.html